hastings 10k or santa clara 16k

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ilovesf

Re: hastings 10k or santa clara 16k

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm

There were like 2 DC firms at our oci. I bid on 1 for the lulz. No idea of I got an interview yet though. You'd have to mass mail there. You would probably be unsuccessful without totally stellar grades.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:29 pm

jigglebottom wrote:you think USD is a better value than Hastings at around the same price?

No, they are both a bad value at close to sticker. If you got 2/3 or better scholarship at USD, and are happy with SoCal small firm work, then USD wins.

I don't know how much $$ USD is handing out these days, but they offered me something like $90k with top 1/3 requirement. My numbers were average for Hastings at that time, 3.8/162. I should have taken the $$.

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
jigglebottom wrote:you think USD is a better value than Hastings at around the same price?

No, they are both a bad value at close to sticker. If you got 2/3 or better scholarship at USD, and are happy with SoCal small firm work, then USD wins.

I don't know how much $$ USD is handing out these days, but they offered me something like $90k with top 1/3 requirement. My numbers were average for Hastings at that time, 3.8/162. I should have taken the $$.

You think your sentiments are pretty much representative of the student body? I'd love to pm some folks if you have some peers on TLS. I got my deposit deadline extended. As much of a no-brainer this decision may seem to you its still a difficult decision for me to pass up on a T1 School. Is it primarily the job prospects? Market in general?

Besides my own antsy-ness there is no real reason for me to start this Fall. I do only have 1 more LSAT retake though so thats some added pressure.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 pm

jigglebottom wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:

You think your sentiments are pretty much representative of the student body? I'd love to pm some folks if you have some peers on TLS. I got my deposit deadline extended. As much of a no-brainer this decision may seem to you its still a difficult decision for me to pass up on a T1 School. Is it primarily the job prospects? Market in general?

Besides my own antsy-ness there is no real reason for me to start this Fall. I do only have 1 more LSAT retake though so thats some added pressure.

I go to Hastings and you may pm me

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 pm

I think my sentiments are probably pretty representative for the last few graduating classes. You should talk to "ilovesf" and "lisavg" and "Lasers" for a 1L perspective. they are just now going into OCI which is kind of the make or break moment in law school, so it might be good to get a before and after perspective from them.

"a male human" and "hiima3L" are probably more in my camp, as they are 2L and 3L respectively.

Look, Hastings is a good school don't get me wrong. The professors, the facilities, the location, etc etc is all great. The problem is that (a) it's really freaking expensive, (b) the job market blows.

I would not have left my cushy $40k job if I had it to do over. I'd have focused my efforts on trying to grow into a managing position at the company. There's nothing wrong with starting low and working your way up at a company.

If you are in no real hurry to attend law school, I strongly urge you to consider waiting and trying to get a better LSAT. with 4 or 5 more points, you could be in a whole other league of schools and scholarship opportunities. Plus, the legal job market does not look to be improving any time soon. Waiting can only help in that regard.

EnchantedJockstrap

Postby EnchantedJockstrap » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Honestly if you're looking for a top firm job then just retake. However, if you don't want to work 80 hour weeks after you graduate and want a slower paced life, then either school would be acceptable. If you want to live in SF/Bay Area then I would say Hastings. For the rest of the North-State I would choose Santa Clara as a school that places well. Keep in mind this is for smaller firms and DA's offices etc. This is not for working for a firm like you would see in Suits.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:52 am

EnchantedJockstrap wrote:Honestly if you're looking for a top firm job then just retake. However, if you don't want to work 80 hour weeks after you graduate and want a slower paced life, then either school would be acceptable. If you want to live in SF/Bay Area then I would say Hastings. For the rest of the North-State I would choose Santa Clara as a school that places well. Keep in mind this is for smaller firms and DA's offices etc. This is not for working for a firm like you would see in Suits.

2010 OCI for Alameda DA was 200 interviewees at all Bay Area schools for 8 unpaid slots. With no plans to make permanent hires. I hope 2011 was better, but I doubt it. I don't think SF DA even came to 2010 OCI at Hastings. As for Marin,

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/district ... of-course/

I don't know what that "slower pace of life" stuff was all about. I think if you are 100k+ in debt and paying bay area living expenses, your hair is gonna be on fire for awhile.

EnchantedJockstrap

Postby EnchantedJockstrap » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
EnchantedJockstrap wrote:Honestly if you're looking for a top firm job then just retake. However, if you don't want to work 80 hour weeks after you graduate and want a slower paced life, then either school would be acceptable. If you want to live in SF/Bay Area then I would say Hastings. For the rest of the North-State I would choose Santa Clara as a school that places well. Keep in mind this is for smaller firms and DA's offices etc. This is not for working for a firm like you would see in Suits.

2010 OCI for Alameda DA was 200 interviewees at all Bay Area schools for 8 unpaid slots. With no plans to make permanent hires. I hope 2011 was better, but I doubt it. I don't think SF DA even came to 2010 OCI at Hastings. As for Marin,

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/district ... of-course/

I don't know what that "slower pace of life" stuff was all about. I think if you are 100k+ in debt and paying bay area living expenses, your hair is gonna be on fire for awhile.

Fair enough, when people speak of the North-State region they are referring to far north of the Bay Area. IE Chico, Redding, Eureka, and Sacramento. The cost of living is not cheap, but it is not the insane prices that you find in San Francisco.

LIfe there is more laid back. I've seen lawyers in these regions show up in jeans to court. Literally, (though this is not the rule).

Both Santa Clara and Hastings are well respected in the region. Oddly enough McGeorge places the best in this region as they are the closest. In this region I have personally met more Santa Clara grads than Hastings grads. For that reason they tend to place better in this region.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01 pm

EnchantedJockstrap wrote:Fair enough, when people speak of the North-State region they are referring to far north of the Bay Area. IE Chico, Redding, Eureka, and Sacramento. The cost of living is not cheap, but it is not the insane prices that you find in San Francisco.

LIfe there is more laid back. I've seen lawyers in these regions show up in jeans to court. Literally, (though this is not the rule).

Both Santa Clara and Hastings are well respected in the region. Oddly enough McGeorge places the best in this region as they are the closest. In this region I have personally met more Santa Clara grads than Hastings grads. For that reason they tend to place better in this region.

yeah, I'd imagine the Siskiyou and Alpine county DA jobs are a little less competitive. One of the reasons Hastings has had a comparatively low employment rate has been the unwillingness of many of its students to move out of the Bay Area. I suspect you'll start seeing more and more of them competing with the McGeorge and Davis crowd for these rural jobs.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
EnchantedJockstrap wrote:Fair enough, when people speak of the North-State region they are referring to far north of the Bay Area. IE Chico, Redding, Eureka, and Sacramento. The cost of living is not cheap, but it is not the insane prices that you find in San Francisco.

yeah, I'd imagine the Siskiyou and Alpine county DA jobs are a little less competitive. One of the reasons Hastings has had a comparatively low employment rate has been the unwillingness of many of its students to move out of the Bay Area. I suspect you'll start seeing more and more of them competing with the McGeorge and Davis crowd for these rural jobs.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is self selection. During OCI bidding this year Hastings students dramatically underbid outside of the bay area - so much so that they reopened bidding so people could bid more on out of town employers.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:20 pm

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:21 pm

^ Concur.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”