"If I attend School X I'll save money by living at home" Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Haymarket

Bronze

Re: "If I attend School X I'll save money by living at home"

Post by Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm

I, for one, am glad that I can slow down my transition to adulthood and cling to the dependency of my teens as long of possible. Why should I learn how to be self-sufficient when my mom makes awesome tacos every Thursday?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:18 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
HuskyHopeful wrote:Rent: 550
Electricity: 45 (summer)
Food: 400
Water: 9.00
Cable: 35
Total: 1039.

Not being interrupted/annoyed by your parents...
Not having to tell a girl to be quiet because your mom is in the next room..
Priceless.

And i agree that living away from home doesn't make you an adult. Freshman year a kid on my floor made his parents drive two hours to do his laundry each weekend.
For real do your parents ever interrupt you? No they don't. Also, making normal sex sounds isn't a problem. Otherwise you would have heard your dad hitting the walls your entire childhood.That is a made up worry.
Yeah man, tell him more about his own experiences.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Priceless.

And i agree that living away from home doesn't make you an adult. Freshman year a kid on my floor made his parents drive two hours to do his laundry each weekend.
For real do your parents ever interrupt you? No they don't. Also, making normal sex sounds isn't a problem. Otherwise you would have heard your dad hitting the walls your entire childhood.That is a made up worry.
Thanks douchnozzle

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

I don't understand why you guys think it is so awful if other people choose to live with their parents. If you don't want to do it, then don't. If you think people who live with their parents are adolescents, don't be friends with them.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Priceless.

Thanks douchnozzle
You're the one saying "your parents never interrupt you and sex noises are never audible in your apparently soundproofed hom" and yet I'm the douche.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 pm

But seriously, as soon as I graduate I will be moving back home and jumping in that warm womb that is living at home with my parents. Gotta pay those loans off.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:25 pm

ilovesf wrote:I don't understand why you guys think it is so awful if other people choose to live with their parents. If you don't want to do it, then don't. If you think people who live with their parents are adolescents, don't be friends with them.
We're making a social observation, not asking how we should conduct our lives.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote: You're the one saying "your parents never interrupt you and sex noises are never audible in your apparently soundproofed hom" and yet I'm the douche.
I'm saying that those concerns are more made up high school paranoia than actual problems, but yes.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I mean I guess if you don't get the guest house it might be rough but even then it is passable as long as you avoid the wings that your parents or siblings like to occupy.
I lol'd

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Haymarket wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I don't understand why you guys think it is so awful if other people choose to live with their parents. If you don't want to do it, then don't. If you think people who live with their parents are adolescents, don't be friends with them.
I mean, I never said "doing this is an objectively wrong decision in all situations," so if that's what people have their panties in a twist about then what can you do. I just think it's crazy talk, because to me 1. adulthood and moving out are pretty strongly correlated, 2. I can't imagine attending law school while living with my parents (although I do love them), and 3. A lot of the calculations people do involve being a big moocher (e.g. not paying them food or rent).

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Who is we? I'm pretty sure Bildung is being a douche and you are standing next to him saying, "Yeah yeah, what he said!"

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 pm

kwais wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Who is we? I'm pretty sure Bildung is being a douche and you are standing next to him saying, "Yeah yeah, what he said!"
Your ability to read between the lines is excellent. You'll go far.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

kwais wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
You could say I'm a douche, or you could point out that my fairly innocuous (for TLS) thread unleashed a hurricane of defensiveness and butthurt.

If my thread chapped your asshole this badly I recommend lip balm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
kwais wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
You could say I'm a douche, or you could point out that my fairly innocuous (for TLS) thread unleashed a hurricane of defensiveness and butthurt.

If my thread chapped your asshole this badly I recommend lip balm.
I'll take dat Burt's Bees

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:1. adulthood and moving out are pretty strongly correlated
Says who? So adulthood comes at the cost of $30,000 extra debt? What happens when you're forced to move back home anyways to pay that off? Are you still an adult?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
I mean, I never said "doing this is an objectively wrong decision in all situations," so if that's what people have their panties in a twist about then what can you do. I just think it's crazy talk, because to me 1. adulthood and moving out are pretty strongly correlated, 2. I can't imagine attending law school while living with my parents (although I do love them), and 3. A lot of the calculations people do involve being a big moocher (e.g. not paying them food or rent).
That's fair enough. I understand why you feel that way. I personally don't feel as though it's stopped me from being an adult. I guess if someone is K-JD and went to college near home, it could happen. I went to boarding school and didn't live at home in high school, went to college across the country, and didn't even live in this country for most of the two years between college and law school. This is largely what has made living at home so enjoyable for me - I have a lot of distance between my life here now and what it was like when I lived here before.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:39 pm

ru2486 wrote:
Says who? So adulthood comes at the cost of $30,000 extra debt? What happens when you're forced to move back home anyways to pay that off? Are you still an adult?
Learn to read and think.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Learn to read and think.
Wow, you justified your position so expertly :shock:

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 pm

/thread

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Learn to read and think.
Wow, you justified your position so expertly :shock:
My thought exactly.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:44 pm

my parents are loaded and im poor, if i could live with them id do it in a second

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Haymarket wrote:I, for one, am glad that I can slow down my transition to adulthood and cling to the dependency of my teens as long of possible. Why should I learn how to be self-sufficient when the government is giving me sweet free loan money I can spend the rest of my life bitching about?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Learn to read and think.
What he means here is mommy and daddy are paying for his apartment so he can play grown up and there will be no extra debt.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 pm

JCFindley wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Learn to read and think.
What he means here is mommy and daddy are paying for his apartment so he can play grown up and there will be no extra debt.
Me?

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 pm

I lived at home throughout law-school. I just finished with less than 50k in total student loans, including undergrad. I wasn't particularly proud that I lived at home, but I don't care anymore because I saved a lot of money. In my opinion, living with your parents while attending law-school is way better than taking out an additional $10,000 of loans in order to act like you are financially independent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”