"If I attend School X I'll save money by living at home" Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nightrunner

Platinum

Re: "If I attend School X I'll save money by living at home"

Post by Nightrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00 pm

sawwaverunner wrote:In my opinion, living with your parents while attending law-school is way better than taking out an additional $10,000 of loans in order to act like you are financially independent.
Listen, man: living behind a narcissistic veil of self-delusion, and beyond your means - with reckless disregard toward the inevitable consequences - is the American way.

And I will not sit here while you insult the United States of America.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Listen, man: living behind narcissistic self-delusion and beyond your means - with reckless disregard toward the inevitable consequences - is the American way.

Yeah, taking out loans to finance your education with a concrete plan to pay them back is totally narcissistic self-delusion.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 pm

I wouldn't put down anyone for trying to minimize debt. It is the prudent thing to do. How does llving at home make you less of an adult than kids who have living expenses covered by their parents?

Despite the high cost of law school, plenty of parents are contributing. Maybe your parents don't have cash to help you rent a place, but it costs them no extra mortgage expenses for you to live with them. That doesn't mean you aren't an adult.

On the other hand, a classmate of mine lived in a fabulous apartment on Park avenue. No way she was giving up living there and having family support just so she could live in some shitty apartment in Morningside Heights that she would have had to borrow money to pay for. No way was her Mom going to give her money to live in said shitty Morningside apartment. She would have had to borrow unncessary COL loans, when she has a fantastic apartment.

I think it depends on the parents, the location and the cost. If you can sayve $30,000, it seems very smart as long as you get along with your parents or have your own space.

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Listen, man: living behind narcissistic self-delusion and beyond your means - with reckless disregard toward the inevitable consequences - is the American way.

Yeah, taking out loans to finance your education your preferred lifestyle, which you cannot afford, when living with family for free is an option, is totally narcissistic self-delusion.
Just so that we're all reminded of the actual topic.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Yeah, taking out loans to finance your education your preferred lifestyle, which you cannot afford, when living with family for free is an option, is totally narcissistic self-delusion.
Just so that we're all reminded of the actual topic.
If by "preferred lifestyle" you mean "supporting yourself instead of mooching off your parents like some deadbeat/adolescent" then yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 pm

You're right: borrowing five digits a year from the Fed. Gov't, without working for it, in order to avoid living with ma and pa is definitely "supporting yourself."

'MURICA

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 pm

And for the record: I don't actually think it is retarded to choose to live alone, when living cheaply with family is an option. I think it is probably imprudent, but to each his or her own. But if you're going to troll the "Choosing a Law School" forum with hyperbolic ignorance, then I'ma troll you back.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Nightrunner wrote:You're right: borrowing five digits a year from the Fed. Gov't, without working for it, in order to avoid living with ma and pa is definitely "supporting yourself."

'MURICA
Taking responsibility for yourself then, or putting the burden on yourself, or whatever you want to call it. Pedantically parse terms all you want, big guy.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Nightrunner wrote:You're right: borrowing five digits a year from the Fed. Gov't, without working for it, in order to avoid living with ma and pa is definitely "supporting yourself."

'MURICA
Dude, you're awesome but I can't tell what you really mean. Are you sober? I am not which may account for my lack of comprehension.

edit: Nevermind saw your clarification.
Last edited by sunynp on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

annet

Bronze

Post by annet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:3. A lot of the calculations people do involve being a big moocher (e.g. not paying them food or rent).
This is true. But some parents do offer - the room is there whether I sleep in it or not. And, in my case, the offer comes with the expectation that I'll turn the groceries into dinner every night (or at least batch cook on Sundays). Between that being live-in tech support, my parents are pulling for the local school pretty hard.

On the other hand, I'm old and have lived on my own for a while. I'm secure in my grown-up-ness. I get how it could be kind of toxic if you were K-JD and had gone to UG close to home.

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Yeah, taking out loans to finance your education with a concrete plan to pay them back is totally narcissistic self-delusion.
Of course it isn't, but thinking you're somehow superior to people who make different - and arguably more solid - financial choices than you (and believing this strongly enough to make a disparaging thread about it when it really doesn't affect you in any way) is.

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 pm

sunynp wrote:

'MURICA
Dude, you're awesome but I can't tell what you really mean. Are you sober? I am not which may account for my lack of comprehension.

edit: Nevermind saw your clarification.
I'm 100% sober. This is sort of my style.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 pm

ru2486 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:1. adulthood and moving out are pretty strongly correlated
Says who? So adulthood comes at the cost of $30,000 extra debt? What happens when you're forced to move back home anyways to pay that off? Are you still an adult?

Then you have failed at growing up and need to try it again. If you are afraid to go into debt in order to finance something that you, yourself, desire and that provides value to you and only you, the correct move is not shifting the costs, in both money and enjoyment, to your parents. The adult thing to do is either wait a few years and work to self-pay, downgrade your schools to get more scholarships, the ever present retake, or just grow a pair and carry a gun for a few years. Dat GI Bill.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 pm

bils, when did you go from somewhat cool and humorous dude to raging insufferable prick? Was it when you started 1L year, or did it start before that?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:bils, when did you go from somewhat cool and humorous dude to raging insufferable prick? Was it when you started 1L year, or did it start before that?
reading this in Ron Burgundy's voice takes it from a 9 to a 10

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 pm

I'd live with boyfriend's parents in a heartbeat.

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Edit: not worth it, nevermind.
Last edited by ru2486 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:bils, when did you go from somewhat cool and humorous dude to raging insufferable prick? Was it when you started 1L year, or did it start before that?
Oh man, total internet tool romothesavior has called me a prick. I now feel terrible.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:1. adulthood and moving out are pretty strongly correlated
Says who? So adulthood comes at the cost of $30,000 extra debt? What happens when you're forced to move back home anyways to pay that off? Are you still an adult?

Then you have failed at growing up and need to try it again. If you are afraid to go into debt in order to finance something that you, yourself, desire and that provides value to you and only you, the correct move is not shifting the costs, in both money and enjoyment, to your parents. The adult thing to do is either wait a few years and work to self-pay, downgrade your schools to get more scholarships, the ever present retake, or just grow a pair and carry a gun for a few years. Dat GI Bill.
I moved out at 17 to go live on another continent and I find your righteousness nauseating. STFU.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:42 pm

kwais wrote:
reading this in Ron Burgundy's voice takes it from a 9 to a 10
Also while listening to Hans Zimmer's soundtrack from the Dark Knight.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Oh man, total internet tool romothesavior has called me a prick. I now feel terrible.
no u

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
no u
And that's a good ending to this "on-topic" thread.

Go fuck yourself, San Diego.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”