Bar Exam Pass Rates. Should they matter? Pepperdine v Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GueritaPeloChino

Bar Exam Pass Rates. Should they matter? Pepperdine v Davis

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm having a dreadful time deciding between attending UC Davis with a 24k/yr scholarship or Pepperdine with 25k/yr. UC davis seems like it's been going down in the rankings, while Pepperdine has been moving up.

Pepperdine is currently ranking 4th behind USC, Berkeley, and Stanford on CA bar passage rates for CA law schools. Davis is actually below average on California Bar Passage Rates.

2010: http://www.protectconsumerjustice.org/2010-california-bar-exam-pass-rates-by-law-school-2.html

2011: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2012/01/july-2011.html

Should I take this into consideration? Could this mean Pepperdine is one the rise, while Davis declining? I mean, what's up with their passage rates?

Also, attending Pepperdine would be much more convenient/cheap as I wouldn't have to spend money on housing/food. I wouldn't be paying for anything, really, since I'll be living at home. Davis would mean an additional 12k or more a year just for housing alone.

Danteshek

Re: Bar Exam Pass Rates. Should they matter? Pepperdine v Davis

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Bar passage rates may say something about the seriousness of the bottom-half students who attend each school. I don't think Davis will give you an appreciable advantage over Pepperdine. I think you should probably go to Pepperdine because you grew up in in Southern California.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm

You should not go to Pepperdine at all because as per law school transparency, only a little over 40% of those people get full time bar passage required jobs. This does not mean you should go to Davis either.

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Danteshek wrote:Bar passage rates may say something about the seriousness of the bottom-half students who attend each school. I don't think Davis will give you an appreciable advantage over Pepperdine. I think you should probably go to Pepperdine because you grew up in in Southern California.

Thanks. It seems like I'm going to end up staying here in Los Angeles because although UC Davis is higher ranked, I'm not convinced that moving up to NorthCal to attend will be worth it. Also, I was hoping Loyola would have came around by now and offered me money to attend as it would have been great avoiding a 45-minute commute =/ For someone who lives only 10 minutes away from downtown, Loyola would have been my most convenient option. Also, Loyola's deep alumni network in Los Angeles. But 45k/yr seems way too harsh, even if i have help paying for it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Bar passage rates may say something about the seriousness of the bottom-half students who attend each school. I don't think Davis will give you an appreciable advantage over Pepperdine. I think you should probably go to Pepperdine because you grew up in in Southern California.

Thanks. It seems like I'm going to end up staying here in Los Angeles because although UC Davis is higher ranked, I'm not convinced that moving up to NorthCal to attend will be worth it. Also, I was hoping Loyola would have came around by now and offered me money to attend as it would have been great avoiding a 45-minute commute =/ For someone who lives only 10 minutes away from downtown, Loyola would have been my most convenient option. Also, Loyola's deep alumni network in Los Angeles. But 45k/yr seems way too harsh, even if i have help paying for it.

Why not retake?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:

Keeping costs down is no small thing. But if you really want to go to Loyola and it is more convenient for you, you may want to consider it notwithstanding the extra cost. You might lose your scholarship at Pepperdine if you do poorly and regret not having accepted Loyola's offer.

Radlulz: this person has a 166 LSAT and a 2.7 GPA. She is not getting substantial aid from LLS even if she breaks 170. Nor would she get into USC or UCLA.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Danteshek wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:

Keeping costs down is no small thing. But if you really want to go to Loyola and it is more convenient for you, you may want to consider it notwithstanding the extra cost. You might lose your scholarship at Pepperdine if you do poorly and regret not having accepted Loyola's offer.

Radlulz: this person has a 166 LSAT and a 2.7 GPA. She is not getting substantial aid from LLS even if she breaks 170. Nor would she get into USC or UCLA.

OP is fucked for Cali schools. I'd legitimately retake to try to get into NU. Not worth going to one of these coin-flip-shot-at-a-good-job schools ITE.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”