NYU Sticker VS Boalt 63K

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU (stkr) / Boalt (63k)

NYU
27%
Boalt
73%

Total votes: 59

JChamberlain

NYU Sticker VS Boalt 63K

Postby JChamberlain » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Got in off waitlist at NYU. The relative ranking difference seems small, but it also seems to me the two schools are on completely different tiers. Have two more days to make the decision. Are my relative job placement prospects better enough at NYU to account for the significant difference in cost, which is probably even greater when considering the realistic cost of living difference? Any current NYU students who can speak to the quality of life there and their experiences with the school? Boalt students seem to love it.

NJPitcher

Re: NYU Sticker VS Boalt 63K

Postby NJPitcher » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Where do you live/want to work/have ties to/how old are you/what's your experience/please provide any context.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 pm

What do you want to do?

Where do you want to live after law schools?

Also, if you just got in you might want to wait to see if NYU gives you anything.

noggo10

Postby noggo10 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm

JChamberlain wrote:Got in off waitlist at NYU. The relative ranking difference seems small, but it also seems to me the two schools are on completely different tiers. Have two more days to make the decision. Are my relative job placement prospects better enough at NYU to account for the significant difference in cost, which is probably even greater when considering the realistic cost of living difference? Any current NYU students who can speak to the quality of life there and their experiences with the school? Boalt students seem to love it.

I wouldn't say the schools are all that different in terms of placement honestly and as others said, it really comes down to where you want to end up practicing. $63k is a ton of money, but either way you'll need big law or LRAP to pay it off. An advantage of NYU might be that NYC is the legal market with the most jobs right now. Basically, if you want to work in NYC take NYU, but if you want anywhere else take Boalt. NYU isn't THAT much better. I'll be attending NYU this fall and while I haven't started yet and can't speak to that part of your question, I know that area very well. The Village is one of the best areas of NYC and I imagine you would enjoy it very much, except for the high COL perhaps.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Boalt. 63k isn't a ton of money but it's enough to make me change teams.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Boalt unless you ABSOLUTELY want NYC biglaw

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm

As other posters have noted, NYU if you want NYC biglaw.

UCal-Berkeley if you prefer to practice on the West Coast.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I love NYU. Take the money at Boalt. Better yet, use it as leverage to get money at NYU.

JChamberlain

Postby JChamberlain » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Context: I'm 30, I live in the South East, I'm from upstate NY, I want to get in to PI or Gov, I also understand I may end up in big law despite these intentions. Being close to home and all my roots would be nice, but not worth the $$ difference in my opinion; I also think I could place in NY from Boalt if I ended up wanting to. NYU sent FA package, no $$ offered, doubt I can negotiate so late in the game, will try, thanks for all help and advice; Rad Lulz, if you're lurking out there, yes, I already know that nobody anywhere ever has a chance of getting a PI job.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:Boalt. 63k isn't a ton of money but it's enough to make me change teams.

Solid username + post combo.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Congratulations OP ! Two great, interesting options.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 pm

I go to NYU and like it. I'd have gone to Cal if it was $63k cheaper. Frankly I might have gone to Cal at equal cost. It really just depends on what you're looking for and where you want to work. I think these two schools are more similar to one another than any other two T14s.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 am

Both are fantastic schools, but NYU is in no way, shape, or form worth 63k more than Boalt. Nevertheless, it really does depend on what you want to do. People don't want to hear it, but if you look at placement stats in big law, PI, and clerkships, Berkeley has done just as well as, if not better than, NYU in recent years. One thing you mentioned that I find interesting is that if you want NYC, I think it will be easier to get there from Berkeley than it will be to get to California from NYU, particularly since you have no California ties. Still, that's not a big factor IMO.

I would choose based on where you want to live. Both place well in big law and have strong institutional support for PI.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:38 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I go to NYU and like it. I'd have gone to Cal if it was $63k cheaper. Frankly I might have gone to Cal at equal cost. It really just depends on what you're looking for and where you want to work. I think these two schools are more similar to one another than any other two T14s.

I might agree. For whatever reason (and it's totally anecdotal), when I was at ASW at Berkeley there were more people deciding between NYU and Berkeley than any other two schools.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33 pm

JChamberlain wrote:Got in off waitlist at NYU. The relative ranking difference seems small, but it also seems to me the two schools are on completely different tiers. Have two more days to make the decision. Are my relative job placement prospects better enough at NYU to account for the significant difference in cost, which is probably even greater when considering the realistic cost of living difference? Any current NYU students who can speak to the quality of life there and their experiences with the school? Boalt students seem to love it.

I wish I had this problem.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:57 pm

My answer is likely Boalt like most people, but why has no one asked for the total COA yet? I'd at least want to know that before answering. Boalt's is tricky because it's easy to establish state residency (so in-state for 2L and 3L), but costs are expected to rise (more than the way they are expected to rise from all schools). Can't say for sure until we know what the actual price difference is, especially since you want to stay on the East Coast.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”