BU at 90k for patent law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
humbugger

New

BU at 90k for patent law?

Post by humbugger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:28 pm

3.9, 167 (2nd attempt); PhD in chemistry (biotech related field)

Scholarship is $90k, total COA around the same amount. I imagine I could squeeze out a bit more $$ if necessary.

Problems: No real ties to Boston, but it is a region where there is a lot of activity in biotech.
Job placement? (I've heard solid rumors of the national patent hiring fair, but don't know the details. Does anyone have knowledge of this??)

I could wait a year, retake in Oct and try to get in somewhere higher ranking, but I'm leery of taking on too much debt because I'm kind of old. (I'm well aware TITCR)

Would it make more sense to hold out for a patent agent position?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: BU at 90k for patent law?

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 pm

humbugger wrote:3.9, 167 (2nd attempt); PhD in chemistry (biotech related field)

Scholarship is $90k, total COA around the same amount. I imagine I could squeeze out a bit more $$ if necessary.

Problems: No real ties to Boston, but it is a region where there is a lot of activity in biotech.
Job placement? (I've heard solid rumors of the national patent hiring fair, but don't know the details. Does anyone have knowledge of this??)

I could wait a year, retake in Oct and try to get in somewhere higher ranking, but I'm leery of taking on too much debt because I'm kind of old. (I'm well aware TITCR)

Would it make more sense to hold out for a patent agent position?
This doesn't seem like nearly enough scholarship money given your numbers.

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:This doesn't seem like nearly enough scholarship money given your numbers.
This. I got more money with a slightly better LSAt, but much worse GPA from a higher ranked school. Considering the money being bandied about this cycle, this number seems low. I would negotiate up to at least $105K.

Do you have any other acceptances/offers?

humbugger

New

Post by humbugger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:This doesn't seem like nearly enough scholarship money given your numbers.
This. I got more money with a slightly better LSAt, but much worse GPA from a higher ranked school. Considering the money being bandied about this cycle, this number seems low. I would negotiate up to at least $105K.

Do you have any other acceptances/offers?
I withdrew from the other schools I was accepted to. I applied late with a lower LSAT (before I found TLS obviously), and the results were, predictably, uninspiring.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote: This doesn't seem like nearly enough scholarship money given your numbers.
Definitely agree with this. This is a tossup.

BU is a decent school. Even though an IP background increase your mobility, if you want to stay in Boston with no ties, you're better go to a Boston school.

On the other hand, if you get in any of the T14 next cycle, your chances of getting a firm job increase as well as your mobility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:23 pm

humbugger wrote:I withdrew from the other schools I was accepted to. I applied late with a lower LSAT (before I found TLS obviously), and the results were, predictably, uninspiring.
Wait. Apply the first day apps come out for this cycle and then enjoy your pick from among a few T14's (you are a lock at Cornell, and have great odds at a few others, particularly Northwestern if you have WE in your field)and more money at BC/BU. Applying late is a killer. WaIt, and enjoy a much more flattering cycle.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:53 pm

First off, ignore anyone who says you absolutely need to go to a T14. Polisci majors and 0L prestige whores abound, but you're IP and are in a different situation. A T30 school will be fine for your purposes. Second off, you should be able to find a full ride with those numbers - even if it's the ED at GW. If you want the debt, then whatever, but I can't see a reason to pay 30-60k more for what is likely to be the same job you'd end with anyway (caveat below).

As an IP person who went through OCI with worse IP credentials at a T25 but still found a lot of success, my advice is to find a full ride (or at least very close, if you land 120k at Michigan or UVA or something) to the best school you can. The *only* valid reason for you not to do so would be if you desperately want to work at a super prestigious firm. You'll still have as good a shot as anyone at that from somewhere like GW, it's just that a T14 would increase your odds. As it is, you're already likely to be able to stroll into an IP/pharma powerhouse like Fitzpatrick with just decent grades because of your expertise, so I wouldn't be deadset on skmewhere like Cornell or Michigan unless it was either equal cost or very close to equal cost

humbugger

New

Post by humbugger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:26 pm

stratocophic wrote:First off, ignore anyone who says you absolutely need to go to a T14. Polisci majors and 0L prestige whores abound, but you're IP and are in a different situation. A T30 school will be fine for your purposes. Second off, you should be able to find a full ride with those numbers - even if it's the ED at GW. If you want the debt, then whatever, but I can't see a reason to pay 30-60k more for what is likely to be the same job you'd end with anyway (caveat below).

As an IP person who went through OCI with worse IP credentials at a T25 but still found a lot of success, my advice is to find a full ride (or at least very close, if you land 120k at Michigan or UVA or something) to the best school you can. The *only* valid reason for you not to do so would be if you desperately want to work at a super prestigious firm. You'll still have as good a shot as anyone at that from somewhere like GW, it's just that a T14 would increase your odds. As it is, you're already likely to be able to stroll into an IP/pharma powerhouse like Fitzpatrick with just decent grades because of your expertise, so I wouldn't be deadset on skmewhere like Cornell or Michigan unless it was either equal cost or very close to equal cost
Thanks--I hope you're right. Given this, though, it seems like the opportunity costs of waiting make it worthwhile to just go this year. Waiting would save me some dollars, assuming I did get a full ride at a peer school, but that is not much compared to an actual patent law salary, it seems to me...

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 pm

humbugger wrote:
stratocophic wrote:First off, ignore anyone who says you absolutely need to go to a T14. Polisci majors and 0L prestige whores abound, but you're IP and are in a different situation. A T30 school will be fine for your purposes. Second off, you should be able to find a full ride with those numbers - even if it's the ED at GW. If you want the debt, then whatever, but I can't see a reason to pay 30-60k more for what is likely to be the same job you'd end with anyway (caveat below).

Thanks--I hope you're right. Given this, though, it seems like the opportunity costs of waiting make it worthwhile to just go this year. Waiting would save me some dollars, assuming I did get a full ride at a peer school, but that is not much compared to an actual patent law salary, it seems to me...
Reasonable way to look at it, might as well skip the reapplying step. I did pretty much the same thing - picked a peer school w/ similar money to what you've got instead of trying to maximize my numbers by applying earlier in the next cycle after my retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”