American University WCL or Chicago-Kent?????

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kenji

Re: American University WCL or Chicago-Kent?????

Postby kenji » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 pm

More of that delicious TLS elitism :roll:

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:25 pm

kenji wrote:More of that delicious TLS elitism :roll:

flem wrote:36% of American grads secured full time, bar passage required employment (LinkRemoved) - full sticker price puts you 250K in the hole.

50% of Chicago-Kent grads secured full time, bar passage required employment (LinkRemoved) - full sticker price puts you 230K in the hole.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:35 pm

flem wrote:

flem wrote:36% of American grads secured full time, bar passage required employment (LinkRemoved) - full sticker price puts you 250K in the hole.

50% of Chicago-Kent grads secured full time, bar passage required employment (LinkRemoved) - full sticker price puts you 230K in the hole.

As a TT student, I don't stand to draw on much in the way of elitism. What really strikes me beyond the numbers is that those two schools are in really tight legal markets that generally require stellar credentials, and there are a lot of schools that employers look to before they hire from those two schools. If nothing else, I wouldn't put myself in a position to be competing with a ton of other schools with better placement.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Bedsole wrote:As a TT student, I don't stand to draw on much in the way of elitism. What really strikes me beyond the numbers is that those two schools are in really tight legal markets that generally require stellar credentials, and there are a lot of schools that employers look to before they hire from those two schools. If nothing else, I wouldn't put myself in a position to be competing with a ton of other schools with better placement.

There's nothing wrong with going to a T2 school for the right price. But going to a super expensive T2 in hyper competitive and saturated markets is just flat out retarded.

So yeah, we're in agreement there.

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:57 pm

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Teflon_Jeff wrote:Kenji, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Look up elitism.

bah, I'll do it for you, seeing as how I'm such an elitist.

1. a. the belief that society should be governed by a select group of gifted and highly educated individuals
b. such government
2. pride in or awareness of being one of an elite group

Selective hiring practices based on quality of education is not elitism. It's not even academic elitism. It's called "Screening" and as much as you want it to be something else, it isn't.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am

TLS saves another?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 am

It wouldn't hurt to retake, especially since you have a 3.84 GPA. Most people on this site have retaken the lsat, including me. Last year, I spent hundreds of dollars on application fees, but I knew that I could do better on the lsat. So I sat down, and I studied hard for a couple months. I improved a little bit my second time, and on my third try, I did really well. I was able to get fee waivers to almost every school I applied to, and I am going to one of my top choices with a full-ride. Plus, my GPA isn't any where near yours. Your GPA is awesome, and you have time to study for October, you just have to start now! Even if you improved to a 160, a 160/3.8 will get you into Kent with big bucks.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Pargo/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/painttherosesred/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/decibel8710/jd

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:07 pm

American if u want DC and Kent if u want chicago, though u should leverage each school against the other and ask for some scholarship money

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 pm

kaya_lv wrote:Hi guys,

I really don't know what to do :( I have been accepted to the American University WCL and Chicago-Kent and I can't make up my mind where to go. I didn't get any scholarship to any of the universities. I really want to settle in Chicago area but according to the ratings the American University is ranked a little better (49 compared to Kent-62). I know that it's not such a big difference but....Also, life in Washington is really expensive. I am considering to transfer my second year if I go to Washington.
Any opinions on the matter? Which school is better? Better chances of finding a decent job that will help me pay my loan?

RETAKE! both of these schools are terrible at sticker. AND going to law school with the idea of transferring is deplorable. I mean to transfer from a TT to anywhere worth transfering too would require you to finish at least in the top 10-15% of your class(i'm probably a bit off, but you know what I mean) How arrogant is that.

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 pm

mattviphky wrote:It wouldn't hurt to retake, especially since you have a 3.84 GPA. Most people on this site have retaken the lsat, including me. Last year, I spent hundreds of dollars on application fees, but I knew that I could do better on the lsat. So I sat down, and I studied hard for a couple months. I improved a little bit my second time, and on my third try, I did really well. I was able to get fee waivers to almost every school I applied to, and I am going to one of my top choices with a full-ride. Plus, my GPA isn't any where near yours. Your GPA is awesome, and you have time to study for October, you just have to start now! Even if you improved to a 160, a 160/3.8 will get you into Kent with big bucks.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Pargo/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/painttherosesred/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/decibel8710/jd

Thank you.I will retake the LSAT after all. How did you prepare before you improved your score? Did you take any classes or just prepare on your own?

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:American if u want DC and Kent if u want chicago, though u should leverage each school against the other and ask for some scholarship money

Yea, I tried. At the American they said the scholarship money are exhausted and Chicago-Kent didn't even reply to my email. I won't go to Chicago-Kent without any money from them for sure. I will rather retake the LSAT and hopefully do better next year.

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 am

kaya_lv wrote:I will rather retake the LSAT and hopefully do better next year.
Great decision. Start here, plenty of us are doing the same thing.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 am

kaya_lv wrote:
Thank you.I will retake the LSAT after all. How did you prepare before you improved your score? Did you take any classes or just prepare on your own?

Good decision. Studying on your own can be sufficient. Go here, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396, and buy these: Manhattan, 20s, 30s, 50s

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Thank you guys. I will definitely check all the materials you suggested.

By the way, I just received an email from George Washington in DC. I am on a waitlist there and they wanted to know if I am still interested because as they said: "we will be making a limited number of offers of admission next week – and we are reaching out to you because you are among only a handful of applicants under close consideration by the admissions committee for those openings in our fall class."
I don't know if they will offer me admission but even if they do I suspect that they won't give me any scholarship. Do you think I should still retake the LSAT or, if by any chance I get accepted, go to GW?
I think it might be better for me to just retake the LSAT.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Depends on the $$$. GW has been giving schollys off the WL this cycle.... but as a reverse splitter, you shouldnt expect too much. Definitely start prepping for October for now.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 pm

kaya_lv wrote:Thank you guys. I will definitely check all the materials you suggested.

By the way, I just received an email from George Washington in DC. I am on a waitlist there and they wanted to know if I am still interested because as they said: "we will be making a limited number of offers of admission next week – and we are reaching out to you because you are among only a handful of applicants under close consideration by the admissions committee for those openings in our fall class."
I don't know if they will offer me admission but even if they do I suspect that they won't give me any scholarship. Do you think I should still retake the LSAT or, if by any chance I get accepted, go to GW?
I think it might be better for me to just retake the LSAT.

GW at sticker is not worth it, especially since they have been offering DEEP tuition discounts this year and will probably do so next year as well.

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:22 am

Chicago-Kent offered me 15,000 per academic year with no GPA renewal requirement. Should I accept or retake the LSAT? Do you think I can get that offer next year too?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 am

kaya_lv wrote:Chicago-Kent offered me 15,000 per academic year with no GPA renewal requirement. Should I accept or retake the LSAT? Do you think I can get that offer next year too?

Retake. You'll still be over $200k in the hole or close to it. I would only go to Chi-Kent on a full scholarship basically. Wouldn't take out more than about 50k in loans.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:49 am

Also say retake.

If it's any consolation, I took my first LSAT before I discovered TLS and made the mistake of prepping with Kaplan. I used the Bibles and TLS and improved my score pretty substantially.

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:53 am

rad lulz wrote:
kaya_lv wrote:Chicago-Kent offered me 15,000 per academic year with no GPA renewal requirement. Should I accept or retake the LSAT? Do you think I can get that offer next year too?

Retake. You'll still be over $200k in the hole or close to it. I would only go to Chi-Kent on a full scholarship basically. Wouldn't take out more than about 50k in loans.

I will probably have to borrow $18k per year and I'll have my living expenses covered (my parents will be helping me and I have some savings). So, I might end up with $60k in loans. Is it worth it though? I know it is harder for students from Kent to find a job in Chicago.

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:57 am

goldenflash19 wrote:Also say retake.

If it's any consolation, I took my first LSAT before I discovered TLS and made the mistake of prepping with Kaplan. I used the Bibles and TLS and improved my score pretty substantially.

Yea, I agree. I kinda feel like I'm giving up if I just accept that offer. Chicago is the place I want to be at but Kent is not really the school I want to go to. I just don't want to miss the opportunity and than regret later.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 am

kaya_lv wrote: Yea, I agree. I kinda feel like I'm giving up if I just accept that offer. Chicago is the place I want to be at but Kent is not really the school I want to go to. I just don't want to miss the opportunity and than regret later.

I know the thought of taking a year off sucks, but I think a retake/reapply would really benefit you. You have a great GPA and could feasibly get into NU or even Chicago if nail the LSAT. Those schools would put you in by far the best shape for your target market, and are only one test score away.

With the year off, you could get WE (which is huge for NU and will help at OCI) and save money. Coupled with what you have saved already and what your parents are giving you, this would help make your debt even more manageable. Admission applications are expected to go down even more next year, so I bet Kent would consider making the same offer next year in the unlikely event you don't get something better. Good luck!

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 am

goldenflash19 wrote:
kaya_lv wrote: Yea, I agree. I kinda feel like I'm giving up if I just accept that offer. Chicago is the place I want to be at but Kent is not really the school I want to go to. I just don't want to miss the opportunity and than regret later.

I know the thought of taking a year off sucks, but I think a retake/reapply would really benefit you. You have a great GPA and could feasibly get into NU or even Chicago if nail the LSAT. Those schools would put you in by far the best shape for your target market, and are only one test score away.

With the year off, you could get WE (which is huge for NU and will help at OCI) and save money. Coupled with what you have saved already and what your parents are giving you, this would help make your debt even more manageable. Admission applications are expected to go down even more next year, so I bet Kent would consider making the same offer next year in the unlikely event you don't get something better. Good luck!

Thank you :)

arae13

Postby arae13 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

Unlearn everything Kaplan "taught" you. I made the grave mistake of paying in excess of $500 for one of their stupid classes and threw away my own common sense in favor of their "methods". The time it took me to remember and apply their "methods" on my first LSAT was ridiculous and I ended up doing not so well.

I did self study and took a billion practice tests (something Kaplan tells you not to do?) and I improved 8 points on my second test which put me a much better place.

Seriously, one year of your life is nothing. It's totally worth it to retake.

kaya_lv

Postby kaya_lv » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 pm

arae13 wrote:Unlearn everything Kaplan "taught" you. I made the grave mistake of paying in excess of $500 for one of their stupid classes and threw away my own common sense in favor of their "methods". The time it took me to remember and apply their "methods" on my first LSAT was ridiculous and I ended up doing not so well.

I did self study and took a billion practice tests (something Kaplan tells you not to do?) and I improved 8 points on my second test which put me a much better place.

Seriously, one year of your life is nothing. It's totally worth it to retake.

I thought Kaplan was helpful. I improved by 7 points from my diagnostic. However, it might've been because I had no idea what the LSAT was like before I took the diagnostic test. I probably would've improved with practice on my own anyways. Their reading section strategy was weak for me. It didn't really help me manage the section better than I could already. And you are right about the practice tests. They tell you that one per week should be enough. It might be if you are already good enough at it or not aiming at a higher score.
I will wait this year. I'm thinking about taking some Test Master online course, too. Hopefully I'll do better.
Thank you for the advice :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”