Transferring my second year, where should I go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lawlyman

Transferring my second year, where should I go?

Postby Lawlyman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:25 am

-time out-
Last edited by Lawlyman on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JD Janitor

Re: Transferring my second year, where should I go?

Postby JD Janitor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:26 am

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

Heres a good place to start your research. Much more reliable than usnwr.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 am

As you can see from the LST website, Hasting and Davis basically have the exact same large firm score (10% or UCH and 11% of UCD) and very close long-term, full-time bar required scores (40% to 50%). I don't think there is any justification for taking on an extra 70K of debt for Davis unless they just about match your expected COA at Hastings. You're already in way too deep with 110K of debt. 180K is just absurd. Biglaw is a long-shot either way so you should minimize debt since the first few years out of LS are going to be tough.

However, I hope you have included in your calculation that UCH is raising tuition 15% next year.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:41 am

You're doing well in school so you'll probably be able to find a job, but it's really unlikely you'll find a job that can service the debt you're taking on. You need to find cheaper options.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 am

Lawlyman wrote:I am already in debt 68,000 from USF (I got zero scholarships for my first year...)

:shock:

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:12 am

Lawlyman wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site.

So I'm transferring from USF (University of San Francisco) and I had a 3.58 GPA for my 1L placing me right at the border of ranking in the top 10%. I almost pulled off a 4.0 my second semester but somehow I managed to get a C in legal writing, even though I had an A my first semester.

I've applied to around 10 schools for my transfer. So far I've been accepted into UC Hastings, and UC Davis. I'm still waiting on UCLA, USC, Michigan and NYU (yes Michigan and NYU I probably have less than a 1% shot of getting in, I was counting on a 3.8 cumulative average but then that C struck in legal writing).

So I'm not quite sure where I want to practice law. I am already in debt 68,000 from USF (I got zero scholarships for my first year, 2.42 GPA and a 167 LSAT, 2.42 for basically cutting 50% of my classes and sleeping through exams).

Right now UC Hastings is willing to offer me 16,500 a year in scholarships and grants, renewable.
Davis hasn't offered me anything claiming that my financial aid application is incomplete, despite the fact that it is indeed complete.

I looked at U.S. news and they had Hastings on 40% employment after 9 months and Davis at 82% employment.
I would like to be able to do big law if at all possible for a transfer who started out at USF.
I am also willing to move or not move, basically live anywhere, I just want to make $, that's pretty much the bottom line.
Hastings seem like a much more financially better decision considering that I'll only end up owing like 50,000 by going to Hastings (I get to live with parents) and owing more than 120,000 for two years at Davis, but it seems Davis is much better than Hastings. 82% employment after 9 months vs 40% seems to be much better.

Also, how do you guys think my chances are for USC and UCLA? If I manage to get into USC, should I go even though there are no scholarships/grants for me most likely. I should be able to get something from UCLA from grants as me and my family is entirely penniless, I have more than 60,000 in debt and the combined wealth of my family has less than 2,000 in the bank and we own no property.

I got rejected to UCLA yesterday at had top 15% at USD. Still waiting on USC, but in at GWU. I can tell you that OCI is very prolific at these schools, but who knows if we do well.

USF has a strong alumni base, but they are kinda slipping a lot.

Lawlyman

Postby Lawlyman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 am

Well i got 25,000 from UC Davis.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Lawlyman wrote:Well i got 25,000 from UC Davis.

See if you can leverage them against each other. Probably not, but worth a shot. If not, go to the one that gives you more money. It seems as if you are already out ahead from your current situation of no-money at a TTT.

Postby 1776 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Congrats on your acceptances. Hope you hear some more good news.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”