Defer and Retake vs. Retake and Reapply? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PatrickChewing15

New

Defer and Retake vs. Retake and Reapply?

Post by PatrickChewing15 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Know what I'm going to do know...
Last edited by PatrickChewing15 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Would a retake during a deferall be worth it?

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:31 pm

:?

Got to do what's best for you, man.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Depends on the school and your numbers....

PatrickChewing15

New

Post by PatrickChewing15 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Last edited by PatrickChewing15 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Well, if you think you can hit 175, then you might as well try.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PatrickChewing15

New

Re: Would a retake during a deferal be worth it?

Post by PatrickChewing15 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 am

True, I think I've decided that I am retaking no matter what and now I'm trying to decide between deferral and reapplying.

KevinP

Silver

Re: Would a retake during a deferal be worth it?

Post by KevinP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 am

Isn't the deferral binding and therefore akin to ED? If that's the case, I'm not sure what incentive a school has to give you more money for a higher score.

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Re: Defer and Retake vs. Retake and Reapply?

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:57 am

I'm assuming you've asked for money and been declined? It seems that plenty of schools are being overly generous to kids withdrawing this year. I would not defer, it's possible you get money just by saying "No thanks" and emphasizing cost as a reason.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am

First, I should say that if you can take a year off and work, that's super credited. Whether you defer or reapply is another decision, but I think taking a year off and breathing is a great move.

I wish I did it.

That said, I think I err on the side of caution in regards to this. I would just defer. A 3.4-3.5 is really hard to predict, regardless of LSAT. You got UVA, which is great, and a school I would pay sticker for. Shit could tank on test day for a variety of reasons and you have another 170 (or worse...?).

I think knowing a bit more about the logistics would help. If you deferred and retook, and got a 180, can you withdraw and reapply? Would you be able to ED to UVA again if you got another 170?

How long do you have to make a decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 am

I am only chiming in because our LSAT history is very similar. I had a 165 diagnostic, and got a 170 with about as much prep as you did. I found TLS, figured I could do better, so I retook after taking probably 15 PTs. 170. I studied my ass off for June, had a 176ish PT avg, and got a 172. I don't regret retaking, but if I had put off going to UVA to get a 172, I think I would.

Edit: wait, did you just graduate this year? If so, a year off would be nice. Though I don't know if I'd want to spend it studying for the LSAT

Edit again: I misread. You are definitely taking a year off no matter what? And retaking no matter what? Wait til your score comes back before you decide to reapply then.

PatrickChewing15

New

Post by PatrickChewing15 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:23 pm

PennBull wrote: I think knowing a bit more about the logistics would help. If you deferred and retook, and got a 180, can you withdraw and reapply? Would you be able to ED to UVA again if you got another 170?

How long do you have to make a decision?
If I defer and retake I can't withdraw and reapply. It locks me in for another year just like an ED. This is what makes me skeptical that they would offer me money based on a retake. But, you are right the deferral is the much safer route to go. I can't find anything on UVA's sight that says you can't and ED twice, but I think I would have to be very careful about how I approached withdrawing if I wanted to get the ED boost again.

I don't have a set deadline for a decision. I have a legitimate reason for possibly not having a choice but to defer/take a year off that they know about already.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:25 am

I think you do have bargaining power, even with a binding deferral. Your chip isn't another school, but not going at all. So the question is, how desperate will they be for your LSAT next year? My guess is pretty desperate.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:33 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:I think you do have bargaining power, even with a binding deferral. Your chip isn't another school, but not going at all. So the question is, how desperate will they be for your LSAT next year? My guess is pretty desperate.
Yeah, I had a similar GPA and 1 point higher on the LSAT and got some solid money from them this year

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”