Thompson Rivers University (TRU) - Too risky? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Given my situation, should I attend TRU?

Yes, go for it. A JD at TRU is better than no JD at all!
10%
Hard to say. It's really up to you based on your situation.
14%
No, way too risky!
76%

Total votes: 21

Alaska6

New

Thompson Rivers University (TRU) - Too risky?

Post by Alaska6 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:20 pm

This is my first time posting to this forum, but it seems like the best place for this question.

I'm considering applying for admission to Thompson Rivers University (TRU), which is a new Canadian law school opened in 2011. I would be in the third class beginning in 2013.

How risky is it to attend a new law school?

New law schools aren't opened all that often, and I'm afraid that my degree will be largely worthless over time if the school's reputation ends up being less than stellar.

The reasons I'm considering applying at TRU:
1. I grew up in Kamloops, which is where TRU is located, and I loved it there and would love to move back.
2. My dad has an independent law office in Kamloops that after I graduate I could work at and take over when he retires. They mostly do wills and probates.
3. My parents still live in Kamloops and I would have free lodging during school.

Since I'm not looking to take on a position at a top law firm or clerking for any judges, does it really matter what school I go to? Also, It's pretty much this law school or no law school as I can't afford to attend other schools.

My background:
MBA from a US state school, 4.0 GPA - Graduation 2008
BA from US Private school, 3.89 GPA - Graduation 2004
12 years working full-time professional capacities (mostly as an analyst). I am currently a senior manager at a large US financial institution.

I'm looking to go to law school to make a career change that allows for more independence and less corporate politics. Not that I'm doing bad playing the corporate political game; I'm just tired of it.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Re: Thompson Rivers University (TRU) - Too risky?

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 pm

weak flame 6/10 would not read again

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:weak flame 6/10 would not read again

I don't think this is necessarily flame... but then again...

OP, probably hard for posters to give advice since it is a Canadian law school. Probably risky would be my guess, although if your situation is as you describe with job you can take from father then that obviously is a strong mitigating factor.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:40 pm

It's a little different in your situation. Because with no scholly you are looking at 18K for tuition per year, unlike the situation most students face on here where that number is often 40K.

So while 54K for a JD isn't a crushing amount of debt, it is 54K you have to pay back.

If you go for it, go with realistic expectations. I am by a no means an expert on Canadian law schools or the BC legal market. But TRU is the third best law school in BC, and I do know the BC legal market isn't great right now (but honestly, the legal market isn't great anywhere). So you may have some difficulty landing jobs when you're competing with UBC and UVic especially if you decide to work in Vancouver. If you decide to stay in Kamloops I'd imagine that would be less of an issue.

ETA: Check out lawstudents.ca you will probably get more informed responses there pertaining to Canadian law schools.
Last edited by 6lehderjets on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Don't leave your current jerb bro

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Retake

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:03 pm

TRU is fine since it's in your home market & you'll be hired by your father's law firm. For more extensive discussion, try "lawstudents.ca".

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:29 pm

No scholarship seems impossible.

Given your GPA, even a decently good LSAT would give you entrance to almost any school, many with Scholarships.

If you're gonna leave your job for Law School, go somewhere with Full ride, then go take your dad's practice. No debt >>>>>> 50K+ debt.

Alaska6

New

Post by Alaska6 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and feedback. I'll checkout that other forum and look into scholarship options from various schools. Thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”