UPDATE: Florida ($) vs. Maryland (FREE)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Maryland or Florida

Poll ended at Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Florida
28%
Maryland
72%

Total votes: 25

abc12345675

Re: UPDATE: Florida ($) vs. Maryland (FREE)

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 am

taxnstuff wrote:If you end up moving to bmore feel free to pm me with any questions

Oh boy, what a beer

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 am

h2oplyer7 wrote:Maryland offered me enough money today to make going there free. They offered it to me after I withdrew in favor of UF. Any thoughts???

Maryland threw me an additional 18k a year (54k total) as long as I don't fail a course. That, combined with the GIB, means the school will be competely paid for. I am OOS.

Florida will cost about 19k a year until I can establish residency, then it will be free with the GIB.

I am interested in tax law. UF is ranked #2 in that field. Is it worth paying the money?

I have until Wednesday to decide.

Um, Maryland, without a doubt. Florida's legal employment market is worse than most places, Gainesville is far from anything interesting, and if you want to "network" in Florida, you will have to go to South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami) where the cost of living is high.
Why wouldn't you go to Maryland where you have a free ride?
(And I went to UF, so I think that lends some credibility....)

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 am

Honey_Badger wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Maryland offered me enough money today to make going there free. They offered it to me after I withdrew in favor of UF. Any thoughts???

Maryland threw me an additional 18k a year (54k total) as long as I don't fail a course. That, combined with the GIB, means the school will be competely paid for. I am OOS.

Florida will cost about 19k a year until I can establish residency, then it will be free with the GIB.

I am interested in tax law. UF is ranked #2 in that field. Is it worth paying the money?

I have until Wednesday to decide.

Um, Maryland, without a doubt. Florida's legal employment market is worse than most places, Gainesville is far from anything interesting, and if you want to "network" in Florida, you will have to go to South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami) where the cost of living is high.
Why wouldn't you go to Maryland where you have a free ride?
(And I went to UF, so I think that lends some credibility....)

You're right, complete no brainer. Plus, Maryland owns Bmore. Graduating with no debt from a school that is the most respected in its decent-sized market is a heck of a deal.

Welcome to Balmer, hon.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:37 am

Just got an email from Sarah Carlson at UF letting me know that they have no money at this time. Also, they cannot grant me in-state status because of Florida law.

Well, guess I better change my Facebook status from Florida to Maryland. :D

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Just got an email from Sarah Carlson at UF letting me know that they have no money at this time. Also, they cannot grant me in-state status because of Florida law.

Sheeeeeeeeeeit.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Just got an email from Sarah Carlson at UF letting me know that they have no money at this time. Also, they cannot grant me in-state status because of Florida law.

Congrats, great deal! To get you in the mood...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”