Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EdgarWinter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby EdgarWinter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 pm

.
Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:50 pm

derisivesubversion wrote:
Excellent analogy. I have never met someone who had a law degree and didn't have a job practicing law with the exception of an executive or 2. But then again, I'm not an unemployment counselor or soup kitchen volunteer either.


I have met a LOT of them. Off the top of my head, a photographer, a flight attendant, a couple pilots, an ADA Army Captain, and those are just a few that pop off the top of my head.

It was the Army Captain that warned me about TTTTs and that if I actually wanted to practice law then WHICH school I chose to attend actually mattered. (He went to Samford in AL BTW) He is a very accomplished military officer and trying to become a JAG with no luck at all.

User avatar
catholicgirl
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:48 pm

dresden doll wrote:If she insists on going, divorce her. No, really.


She's scared to retake? It's too hard?

What.the.fuck. She doesn't sound mature enough to make this choice. Tell her you won't help her pay for it and see what happens

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:54 pm

EdgarWinter wrote:Hope you signed a nice pre-nup. You don't want to be on the hook for the loans she won't be able to pay back.

That is neither how pre-nups nor student loans work.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:05 pm

When you tell her "you're not going to get a job from Charlotte School of Law" she's hearing "I don't have faith in your abilities." She doesn't believe you when you tell her most people from Charlotte School of Law won't get jobs as lawyers--that runs counter to the common narrative about law school.

Couch your argument, instead, as about not wanting her to settle. Tell her it's a choice between any old legal career, and a top legal career. Point out how many fancy lawyers went to UNC and how no matter how great you are it always helps to get a head start by going to a brand-name school. Convince her of your faith in her ability to do better and your disappointment in her deciding to settle. Pandering with a touch of guilt is going to get you much further than just laying the facts out.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2558
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby androstan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 pm

rayiner wrote:When you tell her "you're not going to get a job from Charlotte School of Law" she's hearing "I don't have faith in your abilities." She doesn't believe you when you tell her most people from Charlotte School of Law won't get jobs as lawyers--that runs counter to the common narrative about law school.

Couch your argument, instead, as about not wanting her to settle. Tell her it's a choice between any old legal career, and a top legal career. Point out how many fancy lawyers went to UNC and how no matter how great you are it always helps to get a head start by going to a brand-name school. Convince her of your faith in her ability to do better and your disappointment in her deciding to settle. Pandering with a touch of guilt is going to get you much further than just laying the facts out.


I'm married, and Rayiner is right.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:35 pm

IAFG wrote:
EdgarWinter wrote:Hope you signed a nice pre-nup. You don't want to be on the hook for the loans she won't be able to pay back.

That is neither how pre-nups nor student loans work.


Loans incurred after marriage are marital debts, as is interest accrued on loans entered into prior to marriage.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
IAFG wrote:
EdgarWinter wrote:Hope you signed a nice pre-nup. You don't want to be on the hook for the loans she won't be able to pay back.

That is neither how pre-nups nor student loans work.


Loans incurred after marriage are marital debts, as is interest accrued on loans entered into prior to marriage.

Isn't that only the case in 9 states, none of which are North Carolina?

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
IAFG wrote:
EdgarWinter wrote:Hope you signed a nice pre-nup. You don't want to be on the hook for the loans she won't be able to pay back.

That is neither how pre-nups nor student loans work.


Loans incurred after marriage are marital debts, as is interest accrued on loans entered into prior to marriage.

Isn't that only the case in 9 states, none of which are North Carolina?


You're confusing community property with marital property. Since NC isn't a CP state as long as they remain married the debt is legally hers, but if they get divorced it's then divided "equitably" between them.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 pm

I'll just leave this here:

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby Yukos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:12 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/busin ... wanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/busin ... wanted=all

I trust the married guys more, but some NY Times articles about how TTTs destroy your future can't hurt either.

GatorEagle1
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby GatorEagle1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm

It's never a good sign when your law school's website can end in ".org." At least Cooley ends in "edu" and is relatively cheaper.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby Robespierre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Paul Campos wrote:You're confusing community property with marital property. Since NC isn't a CP state as long as they remain married the debt is legally hers, but if they get divorced it's then divided "equitably" between them.


Professor - So if my wife goes out on her own and buys a Ferrari to joyride around in, with borrowed money, part of the debt would get equitably distributed to me in case of divorce? Seems extremely unfair.

[Not questioning your correctness, just looking for clarification.]

jeffyl00b
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:10 am

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby jeffyl00b » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm

So we have a thread complaining about how your credit card classifies an organization that has nothing to do with you nor anything? If "other" bothers you that much and she doesn't eventually divorce you, someone should've told you that people usually do better on their subsequent attempt.

There's your hint, do you see it?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Wormfather wrote:Re-date, ED some chicks at UVA.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 am

Wormfather wrote:Re-date, ED some chicks at UVA.


:lol:

But in all seriousness, you need to introduce your wife to WLS. It will make her feel silly for not retaking and since the voice of reason will be coming from somewhere other than you (since she isn't willing to listen to you), maybe it will give her the push she needs.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Re-date, ED some chicks at UVA.


+1

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:26 am

.
Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:49 am

Read the first post, chumps. Was posted in July. Pretty sure this fight is long since resolved either way.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:47 am

GatorEagle1 wrote:It's never a good sign when your law school's website can end in ".org." At least Cooley ends in "edu" and is relatively cheaper.


Worthwhile necro 10/10 would necro again




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheSpanishMain and 4 guests