Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EdgarWinter

Bronze

Re: Charlotte School of Law-Cant talk wife out of it

Post by EdgarWinter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:50 pm

derisivesubversion wrote:
Excellent analogy. I have never met someone who had a law degree and didn't have a job practicing law with the exception of an executive or 2. But then again, I'm not an unemployment counselor or soup kitchen volunteer either.
I have met a LOT of them. Off the top of my head, a photographer, a flight attendant, a couple pilots, an ADA Army Captain, and those are just a few that pop off the top of my head.

It was the Army Captain that warned me about TTTTs and that if I actually wanted to practice law then WHICH school I chose to attend actually mattered. (He went to Samford in AL BTW) He is a very accomplished military officer and trying to become a JAG with no luck at all.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:48 pm

dresden doll wrote:If she insists on going, divorce her. No, really.
She's scared to retake? It's too hard?

What.the.fuck. She doesn't sound mature enough to make this choice. Tell her you won't help her pay for it and see what happens

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:54 pm

EdgarWinter wrote:Hope you signed a nice pre-nup. You don't want to be on the hook for the loans she won't be able to pay back.
That is neither how pre-nups nor student loans work.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:05 pm

When you tell her "you're not going to get a job from Charlotte School of Law" she's hearing "I don't have faith in your abilities." She doesn't believe you when you tell her most people from Charlotte School of Law won't get jobs as lawyers--that runs counter to the common narrative about law school.

Couch your argument, instead, as about not wanting her to settle. Tell her it's a choice between any old legal career, and a top legal career. Point out how many fancy lawyers went to UNC and how no matter how great you are it always helps to get a head start by going to a brand-name school. Convince her of your faith in her ability to do better and your disappointment in her deciding to settle. Pandering with a touch of guilt is going to get you much further than just laying the facts out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 pm

rayiner wrote:When you tell her "you're not going to get a job from Charlotte School of Law" she's hearing "I don't have faith in your abilities." She doesn't believe you when you tell her most people from Charlotte School of Law won't get jobs as lawyers--that runs counter to the common narrative about law school.

Couch your argument, instead, as about not wanting her to settle. Tell her it's a choice between any old legal career, and a top legal career. Point out how many fancy lawyers went to UNC and how no matter how great you are it always helps to get a head start by going to a brand-name school. Convince her of your faith in her ability to do better and your disappointment in her deciding to settle. Pandering with a touch of guilt is going to get you much further than just laying the facts out.
I'm married, and Rayiner is right.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:35 pm

IAFG wrote:
EdgarWinter wrote:Hope you signed a nice pre-nup. You don't want to be on the hook for the loans she won't be able to pay back.
Loans incurred after marriage are marital debts, as is interest accrued on loans entered into prior to marriage.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Loans incurred after marriage are marital debts, as is interest accrued on loans entered into prior to marriage.
Isn't that only the case in 9 states, none of which are North Carolina?

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Isn't that only the case in 9 states, none of which are North Carolina?
You're confusing community property with marital property. Since NC isn't a CP state as long as they remain married the debt is legally hers, but if they get divorced it's then divided "equitably" between them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 pm

I'll just leave this here:

--LinkRemoved--

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:12 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/busin ... wanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/busin ... wanted=all

I trust the married guys more, but some NY Times articles about how TTTs destroy your future can't hurt either.

GatorEagle1

New

Post by GatorEagle1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm

It's never a good sign when your law school's website can end in ".org." At least Cooley ends in "edu" and is relatively cheaper.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Paul Campos wrote:You're confusing community property with marital property. Since NC isn't a CP state as long as they remain married the debt is legally hers, but if they get divorced it's then divided "equitably" between them.
Professor - So if my wife goes out on her own and buys a Ferrari to joyride around in, with borrowed money, part of the debt would get equitably distributed to me in case of divorce? Seems extremely unfair.

[Not questioning your correctness, just looking for clarification.]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jeffyl00b

New

Post by jeffyl00b » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm

So we have a thread complaining about how your credit card classifies an organization that has nothing to do with you nor anything? If "other" bothers you that much and she doesn't eventually divorce you, someone should've told you that people usually do better on their subsequent attempt.

There's your hint, do you see it?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Wormfather wrote:Re-date, ED some chicks at UVA.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 am

:lol:

But in all seriousness, you need to introduce your wife to WLS. It will make her feel silly for not retaking and since the voice of reason will be coming from somewhere other than you (since she isn't willing to listen to you), maybe it will give her the push she needs.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:26 am

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:49 am

Read the first post, chumps. Was posted in July. Pretty sure this fight is long since resolved either way.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:47 am

GatorEagle1 wrote:It's never a good sign when your law school's website can end in ".org." At least Cooley ends in "edu" and is relatively cheaper.
Worthwhile necro 10/10 would necro again

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”