Hastings with scholly vs. Next Cycle Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flem

Diamond

Re: Hastings with scholly vs. Next Cycle

Post by flem » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:I guess the question is, is UHouston a better alternative than Hastings? Numbers say yes, but rankings disagree. What do you think, mate?
As long as you're cool with staying in Texas (from UH) or Cali (UC-H), Houston is the clear winner. Screw the rankings. Houston gives you a better shot at full time legal employment. SMU would be better still, and since they're private a hefty discount is likely with your numbers.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:23 pm

It just totally depends on where you want to live. I don't think one is better than the other, they are both regional schools. It also depends on how much $ you get from UH. I don't know what kind of schollys people with your numbers get.
I don't think there is some magic number that makes a school worth attending for any person - its about how much you're willing/can take on, your other options, etc. I'm not the best to give advice about scholarships because I'm paying instate sticker. But I live at home and walk to school, so I literally have almost no living expenses and so far, I'm happy with my decision. I haven't done oci yet, so I could be saying the exact opposite in 2 months from now- I don't think I should give employment advice until I go through it myself- I hate it when people do that.

Have you ever been to sf? Why don't you think it would be a good fit?

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:34 pm

ilovesf wrote: Have you ever been to sf? Why don't you think it would be a good fit?
I've been a couple of times, and I think it would be ridiculously awesome for a few years, but not an ideal place to settle down and whatnot (I'm from OK, so SF is like a crazy city for me).
tfleming09 wrote:As long as you're cool with staying in Texas (from UH) or Cali (UC-H), Houston is the clear winner. Screw the rankings. Houston gives you a better shot at full time legal employment. SMU would be better still, and since they're private a hefty discount is likely with your numbers.
Ah, alright! This helps quite a bit. I was just kind of skeptical at UH and SMU because of the TLS mentality towards TT... :(..

But, according to LSN, several people with my numbers got pretty nice schollys to BC and Emory. Hopefully I'll be one of them. :)

But I guess unless Hastings is willing to give me quite a bit more money (which, they seemed pretty reluctant to), I'll be reapplying this upcoming cycle!

ETA: How do you guys feel about Notre Dame vs. BC/Emory?
Last edited by Mr.Binks on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:36 pm

I think the thing here about Hastings to be worried about is more spikes in tuition. They hiked it 15% this year, it is already more expensive tuition wise than some of the T14, and god knows if they will continue to tax enrolled students in the future to allow lower enrollment and USWNR whoring.

I think you have it right at this point. Move to TX assuming you can get a job, apply to UT as a reach and SMU/UH as $$$ safeties and see what some of the T1 schools where you are at or above their LSAT median throw your way.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 pm

2014 wrote: I think you have it right at this point. Move to TX assuming you can get a job, apply to UT as a reach and SMU/UH as $$$ safeties and see what some of the T1 schools where you are at or above their LSAT median throw your way.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah dude I wouldn't be surprised if UC-H tuition goes even higher since they're also cutting their class size fairly substantially.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Well if you don't want to get a job after LS in the bay area, definitely don't go to Hastings.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the help, everyone. It's been very helpful. You guys rock. 8)

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Thanks for all the help, everyone. It's been very helpful. You guys rock. 8)
GL!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Hai gaiz,

Thanks again for helping me make my decision. I have one last question, however. I put down seat deposits for both Hastings and OU (looking pretty dumb right about now, but fuck it). When and how should I go about withdrawing my applications without having to do too much interacting with them? Those fuckers at Hastings are pretty persistent and seem to try really hard to keep me there, and I don't particularly want to deal with that, if avoidable.

Thanks d00dz. :)

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Hai gaiz,

Thanks again for helping me make my decision. I have one last question, however. I put down seat deposits for both Hastings and OU (looking pretty dumb right about now, but fuck it). When and how should I go about withdrawing my applications without having to do too much interacting with them? Those fuckers at Hastings are pretty persistent and seem to try really hard to keep me there, and I don't particularly want to deal with that, if avoidable.

"Due to concerns about the job market and recent employment statistics coupled with extraordinarily high tuition rates, I have been unable to reconcile the two, even in light of your generous scholarship/aid offers. Though I am thankful, I will be sitting out this year and plan on reapplying next cycle."

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:14 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:Hai gaiz,

"Due to concerns about the job market and recent employment statistics coupled with extraordinarily high tuition rates, I have been unable to reconcile the two, even in light of your generous scholarship/aid offers. Though I am thankful, I will be sitting out this year and plan on reapplying next cycle."
Will be copying and pasting this. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”