Hastings with scholly vs. Next Cycle

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mr.Binks

Hastings with scholly vs. Next Cycle

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Alright, guys. I've finally stopped being pissed at myself and am now weighing the options. First off, my numbers aren't very impressive. I have ~3.66 GPA with three LSATs (161, 162, and a disappointing 165 for my third take). Since my last LSAT didn't go as planned, I am now pretty constrained in my options (sitting out til Oct '13 isn't an option). UT is my dream school, but my numbers are obviously a bit on the low end. On the other hand, UC Hastings has offered me ~80k in schollys for this year.

So what do you guys think? Should I try to bargain for a bit more from Hastings and just go there, or should I sit out for a year and try my luck at establishing in-state residency in Texas and shoot for UT?

TYIA, all.

Edit: Contacted Hastings and they came up with another 10k/year, which puts me at about 110k for the three years.
Last edited by Mr.Binks on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Re: Hastings with scholly vs. Next Cycle

Postby flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:08 pm

If you were to go the second route, what would your backup plan be if you got dinged at UT? UH/SMU?

Where do you want to be? What kind of law do you want to do? What would your total COA be at Hastings? 80K in scholarships plus the UC tuition increases leaves you with more debt than I personally would be comfortable with, assuming you'd be financing living expenses.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm

flem wrote:If you were to go the second route, what would your backup plan be if you got dinged at UT? UH/SMU?

Where do you want to be? What kind of law do you want to do? What would your total COA be at Hastings? 80K in scholarships plus the UC tuition increases leaves you with more debt than I personally would be comfortable with, assuming you'd be financing living expenses.

If I were to go the second route, I would probably cast a pretty wide net and hope to get into somewhere (e.g., Emory, WUSTL, BC..). But my fear is that even if I get in there, they won't offer me any money.

I personally think I would enjoy being in CA, but like you said, it seems that I would be in a pretty significant amount of debt coming out of LS. Hastings would cost me about 78k in tuition and fees alone for the 3 years, plus the cost of living.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Tough spot dood.

I don't think you'd be paying sticker at Emory/WUSTL because they've gotta throw big money out with down applications, they've been throwing money at people off the WL this year like crazy. The problem is, it's not enough to make it worthwhile. 150K+ of debt from anywhere beyond UT/Vandy/USC/UCLA is too much; some would even say it's too much for those schools.

What kind of law do you want to practice? Are you from California?

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:27 pm

You have a pretty solid GPA, IMO. Think it would be worth waiting another cycle and retaking...

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:28 pm

flem wrote:Tough spot dood.

I don't think you'd be paying sticker at Emory/WUSTL because they've gotta throw big money out with down applications, they've been throwing money at people off the WL this year like crazy. The problem is, it's not enough to make it worthwhile. 150K+ of debt from anywhere beyond UT/Vandy/USC/UCLA is too much; some would even say it's too much for those schools.

What kind of law do you want to practice? Are you from California?

Yeah, aside from the massive amounts of debt, the thing that scares me about Hastings is the employment stats. :\...

I'm not entirely sure what kind of law I would like to pursue, actually. Right now, I'm very interested in malpractice law, but I'm sure that will change as I go through the coursework in LS... Unfortunately, I'm not from CA. However, they seem to be willing to give in-state tuition for most students after the first year. I do, however, have some family out there.

TTTehehe wrote:You have a pretty solid GPA, IMO. Think it would be worth waiting another cycle and retaking...

Can't retake. Wasted all 3.

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Any stips on scholly?

edit: Replace retake with reapply. Unique experience may help the apps. If not an option, try to reduce stips on scholly @ Hastings.
Last edited by TTTehehe on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Yeah, aside from the massive amounts of debt, the thing that scares me about Hastings is the employment stats. :\...

I'm not entirely sure what kind of law I would like to pursue, actually. Right now, I'm very interested in malpractice law, but I'm sure that will change as I go through the coursework in LS... Unfortunately, I'm not from CA. However, they seem to be willing to give in-state tuition for most students after the first year. I do, however, have some family out there.

I'm under the impression the Bay Area is rather insular, so the deck will be stacked against you from the beginning in addition to middling employment stats. This might be a good situation for you to take a full ride at a TT in the region you want to settle in.

You're stuck in LSAT limbo bro.

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:33 pm

flem wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:Yeah, aside from the massive amounts of debt, the thing that scares me about Hastings is the employment stats. :\...

I'm under the impression the Bay Area is rather insular, so the deck will be stacked against you from the beginning in addition to middling employment stats. This might be a good situation for you to take a full ride at a TT in the region you want to settle in.

You're stuck in LSAT limbo bro.

Tough nut to crack because it's a very popular area. Not to mention you have two t14s and two fringe t14s in the state.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:35 pm

you can retake the LSAT with permission from UT - Austin. Email them and they will say yes. If for some reason they say no, email another school.

I know people who have taken the test four times.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Well, fuck...

flem

Postby flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Well, fuck...

:|

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:you can retake the LSAT with permission from UT - Austin. Email them and they will say yes. If for some reason they say no, email another school.

How will the fourth retake look, though?

And why would UT grant me permission for a fourth retake??

flem

Postby flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:How will the fourth retake look, though?

I'm retaking a 4th time.

ZERO FUCKS

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm

flem wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:How will the fourth retake look, though?

I'm retaking a 4th time.

ZERO FUCKS

Yeah? How did you get permission to do so? Or has it been 2+ years since your first take?

flem

Postby flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Yeah? How did you get permission to do so? Or has it been 2+ years since your first take?

I took it in '07 or '08 still well in undergrad, so it's expired I think

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:50 pm

flem wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:Yeah? How did you get permission to do so? Or has it been 2+ years since your first take?

I took it in '07 or '08 still well in undergrad, so it's expired I think

Ah, right. I'm wondering under what context schools would be willing to grant you permission to take it a fourth time? I mean, it's not like they are short of applicants.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:you can retake the LSAT with permission from UT - Austin. Email them and they will say yes. If for some reason they say no, email another school.

Doesn't work like that anymore. IIRC LSAC changed their policy in the past year.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Does this still apply? I thought schools couldn't give permission anymore.

I don't think you should go to Hastings. The tuition is going up 15% this year alone and they didn't grandfather existing students.

elizcbeth

Postby elizcbeth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 pm

1. I think the Bay Area is not insular in the way that someone above is suggesting. They aren't concerned about flight risks; the Bay Area is way too cool for that :) They ARE insular in that they prefer CA schools. You're fine going to UC Hasting with good grades. DON'T go to TT if you can help it.
2. What's going to change from this cycle to next cycle? If you applied late in this cycle, think you're going to have some sort of significant life experience between now and October, or if you change your mind and try the LSAT again, then I might recommend waiting. If not, consider that Hastings is shrinking their class size. Otherwise, I think it's all going to be the same, maybe a little bit better with the reduction in applications, but not by much.

Personally, I waited, jumped 8 points in LSAT, had a life-changing event, and am SO happy with my decision. Good luck!

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:01 pm

elizcbeth wrote:1. I think the Bay Area is not insular in the way that someone above is suggesting. They aren't concerned about flight risks; the Bay Area is way too cool for that :) They ARE insular in that they prefer CA schools. You're fine going to UC Hasting with good grades. DON'T go to TT if you can help it.
2. What's going to change from this cycle to next cycle? If you applied late in this cycle, think you're going to have some sort of significant life experience between now and October, or if you change your mind and try the LSAT again, then I might recommend waiting. If not, consider that Hastings is shrinking their class size. Otherwise, I think it's all going to be the same, maybe a little bit better with the reduction in applications, but not by much.

Personally, I waited, jumped 8 points in LSAT, had a life-changing event, and am SO happy with my decision. Good luck!

OOS t14 with CA ties helps, too.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:03 pm

elizcbeth wrote:1. I think the Bay Area is not insular in the way that someone above is suggesting. They aren't concerned about flight risks; the Bay Area is way too cool for that :) They ARE insular in that they prefer CA schools. You're fine going to UC Hasting with good grades. DON'T go to TT if you can help it.

Well, when I sent in my 2012-2013 cycle apps, I had a 162 high LSAT. So I'm wondering if maybe a three point increase would be enough to get me into some schools that were out of my reach, and maybe even UT (with in-state residency and some work experience). I would be perfectly fine with BC or Emory...

elizcbeth

Postby elizcbeth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:20 pm

What was your cycle like this year? Did you apply to those school and get rejected? Did you get money from any of them? I think a 165 is going to help you a lot, but if the choice is Hastings w/ 80k or BC/Emory with 0-30K maaaaaaybe 50K, I'd go to Hastings, hands down. Also, I think Hastings ranking is going to go up soon. Their class size was definitely bringing them down. I don't know how that's going to affect employment though.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:27 pm

elizcbeth wrote:What was your cycle like this year? Did you apply to those school and get rejected? Did you get money from any of them? I think a 165 is going to help you a lot, but if the choice is Hastings w/ 80k or BC/Emory with 0-30K maaaaaaybe 50K, I'd go to Hastings, hands down. Also, I think Hastings ranking is going to go up soon. Their class size was definitely bringing them down. I don't know how that's going to affect employment though.

This cycle was kind of half-assed, since I knew I would be retaking the LSAT regardless (mistake, I know). But I applied to Hastings, OU, William & Mary, W&L, USC, and WUSTL. I got WLed at William and Mary, W&L, and WUSTL, and got dinged at USC. I got some shit schollys at OU (but I really don't want to go here) and Hastings w/ 80k.

The major deterrent from Hastings is the cost of living in SF and their employment stats. LST gave it a mere 46%... while Emory and BC are 20% higher. I just don't want to end up being one of those schmucks that is unemployed after graduation.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 pm

I had generally the exact same stats but as a Texas resident, so that wouldn't likely make a difference at UT. I've heard rumors they arent crazy about borderline UT ug applicants so it might work in your favor, who knows. If you like the state of TX you could swing a nice bit of $$ at SMU

Return to “Choosing a Law School”