PLEASE HELP! Fordham (sticker) vs. CUNY

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CUNY(~$40,000) or Fordham(~$150,000)?

CUNY
51%
Fordham
49%

Total votes: 70

romothesavior

Re: PLEASE HELP! Fordham (sticker) vs. CUNY

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:20 pm

flem wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The answer is still neither one.

You don't think 80K of debt for Fordham is reasonable? That would probably be my limit.

Also according to LST CUNY is only placing a little more than a third of grads in FT bar required employment for C/O 2011, which is SPS.

OP said 150k?

flem

Postby flem » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP said 150k?

A bit hidden:

BlackOctober wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
BlackOctober wrote:PI is what I could honestly see myself enjoying and practicing for the length of a career, but I'm also interested in Criminal. If I was spending that sort of money at Fordham, I would probably feel obliged to go through OCI.

Also, I'm not sure what my debt would look like once out of Fordham, but I'm so afraid to spend $150,000 on a legal education ITE. Especially, if I'm so interested in PI and could attend CUNY. However, I'm a total sucker for the rankings and the pride that the Fordham name would give me is hard to let go.

Thanks for all of your replies so far!

Wait, I don't understand the bolded. How much $ would you owe in loans coming out of each school?

I am lucky enough to have my parents helping me out as much as they possibly can, so I'd be coming out of CUNY with no debt, and Fordham with about -$80k.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Alright well as long as it is is boomer parents money then I say go for it.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:Alright well as long as it is is boomer parents money then I say go for it.

Lulz

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 am

Slightly off-topic, but how did it turn into these two opposite end of the spectrum choices? If you're even half serious about either school, you wouldn't really dream of attending the other one. CUNY's reputation in NYC is PI, PI, and even more PI. Social activism, community organizing, blah blah blah. Fordham's is...not. The students who are the Stein Scholars don't even get scholarship money as a result of getting into the program; they simply have funding for mandatory PI-focused summer jobs. I don't really understand why someone would be torn between these two schools...

Note: better be careful with CUNY and its bar passage rates. The school's pass rate was pretty abysmal last time out, and if the trend continues, well...you know.

BlackOctober

Postby BlackOctober » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:04 pm

sd5289 wrote:Slightly off-topic, but how did it turn into these two opposite end of the spectrum choices? If you're even half serious about either school, you wouldn't really dream of attending the other one. CUNY's reputation in NYC is PI, PI, and even more PI. Social activism, community organizing, blah blah blah. Fordham's is...not. The students who are the Stein Scholars don't even get scholarship money as a result of getting into the program; they simply have funding for mandatory PI-focused summer jobs. I don't really understand why someone would be torn between these two schools...

Note: better be careful with CUNY and its bar passage rates. The school's pass rate was pretty abysmal last time out, and if the trend continues, well...you know.

Money.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Seems pretty simple to me. Fordham if you're biglaw or bust(still an enormous risk ITE) and CUNY otherwise.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”