Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:13 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:Edit: I would like to see evidence that humans are causing manmade global warming. If I could see this evidence then I would be open to change my opinion. I am not intentionally denying something that deep inside I feel is true. I am not trying to keep myself misinformed. I am open to changing my view as long as facts are presented.

Look up how many pounds of CO2 humans pump into the atmosphere per year. The Earth is big but we have been pumping billions of pounds of the stuff into the atmosphere for years and years. It is accepted that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. So if the Earth's temperature is rising rapidly, why wouldn't you suspect this obvious variable isn't to blame?


I agree that Global Warming exists, is man made, and is a problem. I just simply couldn't give a rat's ass.

I wish more people like Janitor would just admit that they feel the same way but are hiding behind the "it doesn't exist" excuse so that they don't sound heartless.

SO BRAVE

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:14 pm

hey guys, there's like, zero chance JD Janitor rejects any evidence presented as a fabrication/distortion of the "left", right?

User avatar
JD Janitor
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby JD Janitor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:18 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:Edit: I would like to see evidence that humans are causing manmade global warming. If I could see this evidence then I would be open to change my opinion. I am not intentionally denying something that deep inside I feel is true. I am not trying to keep myself misinformed. I am open to changing my view as long as facts are presented.

Look up how many pounds of CO2 humans pump into the atmosphere per year. The Earth is big but we have been pumping billions of pounds of the stuff into the atmosphere for years and years. It is accepted that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. So if the Earth's temperature is rising rapidly, why wouldn't you suspect this obvious variable isn't to blame?


I agree that Global Warming exists, is man made, and is a problem. I just simply couldn't give a rat's ass.

I wish more people like Janitor would just admit that they feel the same way but are hiding behind the "it doesn't exist" excuse so that they don't sound heartless.


I really do not think that it exists. However, if it does exist, I don't give a shit.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:18 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:Edit: I would like to see evidence that humans are causing manmade global warming. If I could see this evidence then I would be open to change my opinion. I am not intentionally denying something that deep inside I feel is true. I am not trying to keep myself misinformed. I am open to changing my view as long as facts are presented.

Look up how many pounds of CO2 humans pump into the atmosphere per year. The Earth is big but we have been pumping billions of pounds of the stuff into the atmosphere for years and years. It is accepted that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. So if the Earth's temperature is rising rapidly, why wouldn't you suspect this obvious variable isn't to blame?


I agree that Global Warming exists, is man made, and is a problem. I just simply couldn't give a rat's ass.

I wish more people like Janitor would just admit that they feel the same way but are hiding behind the "it doesn't exist" excuse so that they don't sound heartless.


Hey, I'm in the exact same boat as you, dude. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) agriculture is responsible for 18% of the total release of greenhouse gases world-wide (this is more than the whole transportation sector). Don't fucking care, though, because that money is important to my homeland's economy. At least I'm fucking honest about it.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Seeing as I am only going to be alive a fraction of the time humans have or will walk the Earth, and also seeing how insignificant my personal achievements are, I would like to not ruing everything for the future generations of people.

I think my viewpoint is common among most people not born in the decades immediately following WW2.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Seeing as I am only going to be alive a fraction of the time humans have or will walk the Earth, and also seeing how insignificant my personal achievements are, I would like to not ruing everything for the future generations of people.

I think my viewpoint is common among most people not born in the decades immediately following WW2.


See, here is where we part ways. If agriculture loses subisidies or has things made more expensive due to environmental concerns, my very poor state gets made even more poor. Sorry if my lack of foresight for the future poors is overwhelmed by the concerns of the current poors.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Seeing as I am only going to be alive a fraction of the time humans have or will walk the Earth, and also seeing how insignificant my personal achievements are, I would like to not ruing everything for the future generations of people.

I think my viewpoint is common among most people not born in the decades immediately following WW2.


See, here is where we part ways. If agriculture loses subisidies or has things made more expensive due to environmental concerns, my very poor state gets made even more poor. Sorry if my lack of foresight for the future poors is overwhelmed by the concerns of the current poors.

I read an ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC PAPER that shows wheat production, what I assume farmers in your state would care about, would actually increase if temps increased only about 2 degrees celcius more.

Not sure how it would affect rainfall (and I don't think anybody really knows) and not sure how it would affect your state in particular since it was a generalized study.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Seeing as I am only going to be alive a fraction of the time humans have or will walk the Earth, and also seeing how insignificant my personal achievements are, I would like to not ruing everything for the future generations of people.

I think my viewpoint is common among most people not born in the decades immediately following WW2.


See, here is where we part ways. If agriculture loses subisidies or has things made more expensive due to environmental concerns, my very poor state gets made even more poor. Sorry if my lack of foresight for the future poors is overwhelmed by the concerns of the current poors.

I read an ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC PAPER that shows wheat production, what I assume farmers in your state would care about, would actually increase if temps increased only about 2 degrees celcius more.

Not sure how it would affect rainfall (and I don't think anybody really knows) and not sure how it would affect your state in particular since it was a generalized study.


I mean, it would help. Feed corn is far and away our number one crop, with soybeans behind that. I think wheat is #3, but don't quote me on it.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Yeah, I was confusing principal crops. I think that same study found that corn production would drop with hotter temps. Even just this year as hot as it has been farmers are going to have low yields in my neck of the woods. Dryland corn looks like shit.

User avatar
TTTehehe
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm

fatduck wrote:take the full ride at SIU iff you can get the stips removed

best of luck killing coal


+1

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Yeah, I was confusing principal crops. I think that same study found that corn production would drop with hotter temps. Even just this year as hot as it has been farmers are going to have low yields in my neck of the woods. Dryland corn looks like shit.


Same here. It's been insanely hot and really dry. Couple that with the floods along the missouri washing out acres of viable cropland in years past, and it's been a rough couple years for farmers. Cattle still brings in most of our agri-business, but it hasn't been good for my state for a while now.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby top30man » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 pm

This thread has been derailed. But seriously, what are you trying to do with a jd that you actually use a jd for?

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Yeah, I was confusing principal crops. I think that same study found that corn production would drop with hotter temps. Even just this year as hot as it has been farmers are going to have low yields in my neck of the woods. Dryland corn looks like shit.


Same here. It's been insanely hot and really dry. Couple that with the floods along the missouri washing out acres of viable cropland in years past, and it's been a rough couple years for farmers. Cattle still brings in most of our agri-business, but it hasn't been good for my state for a while now.

TLS needs more farmthreads.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Yeah, I was confusing principal crops. I think that same study found that corn production would drop with hotter temps. Even just this year as hot as it has been farmers are going to have low yields in my neck of the woods. Dryland corn looks like shit.


Same here. It's been insanely hot and really dry. Couple that with the floods along the missouri washing out acres of viable cropland in years past, and it's been a rough couple years for farmers. Cattle still brings in most of our agri-business, but it hasn't been good for my state for a while now.

TLS needs more farmthreads.


There would be 3 or 4 of us posting in it.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:43 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Seeing as I am only going to be alive a fraction of the time humans have or will walk the Earth, and also seeing how insignificant my personal achievements are, I would like to not ruing everything for the future generations of people.

I think my viewpoint is common among most people not born in the decades immediately following WW2.


See, here is where we part ways. If agriculture loses subisidies or has things made more expensive due to environmental concerns, my very poor state gets made even more poor. Sorry if my lack of foresight for the future poors is overwhelmed by the concerns of the current poors.


How boomerish of you. I bet you're a small government conservative too, right?

Younks
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby Younks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:31 pm

JD Janitor wrote:If sun panels were actually soo much more cost effective than coal, I would be using them and so would many others. Solar companies are failing because their technology is not cost effective or economically sustainable.

The issue is not the cost per unit of energy that keeps solar panels from widespread adoption, its their upfront cost. Installing an array can cost anywhere from $6,000 to $30,000 depending on electrical needs, whether you install it yourself, etc. Further, in a strictly economic sense, it is more immediately profitable to continue selling fossil fuel products as the infrastructure is already in place, and thus the inevitable costs of the alternative infrastructure can be avoided for some time.

JD Janitor wrote:The only way any of these companies pretend to stay in business is through big government backing. Private investors want nothing to do with solar companies.

Off the top of my mind, Google purchased a massive solar array a few years back to achieve energy independence. I'm not sure why you say "investors" rather than "energy consumers" - perhaps because your argument is flawed.


JD Janitor wrote:Coal is a great cheap source of energy. I dont give a crap if they tear into some mountain to get coal.

Then you've never met a community of people who contracted cancer or emphysema from living next to a coal plant. If one seriously tries to argue "correlation does not equal causation" when the rates of lung and heart diseases have repeatedly been demonstrated to skyrocket next to coal plant. I'm not even sure how to finish that - such an argument is absurd and contrary to the evidence.

JD Janitor wrote:Please post a link to showing where I can buy solarpanels, have them installed, and run my car, power my house, heat my pool, and charge my electronics for a much cheaper price than simply using the electricity from my coal burning power plant.

They're not cheaper up front, it's the long-term installation cost. As global warming continues, solar-thermal (not the panels) will be used widely used, along with PV panels to supplement in isolated areas or where else the economy of scale is more conducive to such.


JD Janitor wrote:People in general feel that their lives are worthless. Because of this, some individuals search out a cause to make them feel good about themselves. You have chosen to buy into the liberal BS that thinks the world is being destroyed and YOU can save it. By buying into this, you now have a purpose. Oh joy. Nevermind that its all based on emotion rather than fact.

I was given a great life. I feel I owe humanity something - if nothing else a better world for those I love.

ororis
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby ororis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Climate change denial is just so ridiculous. To claim there is no scientific consensus is absurd. As said earlier in the thread the dissenting scientists are on Big Oil's payroll. I live in Oregon, and one of the things we get a lot here is rain. Too much, if you ask me. In fact, I have noticed recently that rainfall has actually increased, and the measurements support my observation. This does not make me go "Oh look, it's raining more. Globlol warming. More like Global cooling amirite?" There is a clear and obvious reason that for all of this year the US has seen thousands of heat, precipitation, and drought records shattered. Now, you are more than welcome to believe that this phenomenon is not man made. As long as you understand and believe that it is, in fact, happening.
I realize my arguments are nothing more than conjecture. Until somebody can actually provide substantial evidence that either A) global warming is not happening, and the weather that we have been having is just a blip on the proverbial radar, or B) that global warming is not man-made, and Earth is simply doing its thing, I'm going to continue to believe that all that shit we're pumping in the air is having some repercussions on the global environment.

Also, I love how this thread got derailed. Legitimately amusing.

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby Titleist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 pm

JD Janitor wrote:
Edit: I would like to see evidence that humans are causing manmade global warming.


Who else could cause manmade global warming besides man?

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:02 am

There is so much failure in this thread its sort of ridiculous. Lets break this down.

ONE: The earth is warming. THIS IS A BASIC AND UNDISPUTED FUCKING FACT. There is a huge preponderance of evidence and scientific consensus supporting this claim.

TWO: They are PRETTY SURE humans are, at least in part, contributing to that. When we dump 35 fucking billion tons of C02 into the atmosphere in one year, and we know that's a greenhouse gas, it doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

That being said, no matter how badly we want it to, correlation still does not equal causation you ignorant fucks.

THREE: As of now, coal is one of the cheapest forms of energy. This is partially because we have a ton of money invested in that infrastructure. If we invested in solar as much as we do coal, there's a good possibility it could become more cost effective. That being said, you can't blame people for not wanting to install huge fucking panels on their rooftops in the meantime.

Oh and clean coal is a fucking myth. Can emissions be sequestered? Yes. Are they? Nope, far too expensive.

Now can we please get back on topic

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 am

timbs4339 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Seeing as I am only going to be alive a fraction of the time humans have or will walk the Earth, and also seeing how insignificant my personal achievements are, I would like to not ruing everything for the future generations of people.

I think my viewpoint is common among most people not born in the decades immediately following WW2.


See, here is where we part ways. If agriculture loses subisidies or has things made more expensive due to environmental concerns, my very poor state gets made even more poor. Sorry if my lack of foresight for the future poors is overwhelmed by the concerns of the current poors.


How boomerish of you. I bet you're a small government conservative too, right?


Wait, who the fuck are you now? I'm not a republican, if that is what you are trying to ask.

User avatar
Teflon_Jeff
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:34 pm

A good friend of mine did his undergrad in chemistry, specifically working on Solar cells. He said Solar panels aren't durable enough yet (or consequently, efficient) to be mass utilized yet, but probably in the next 10-15 years.

That is to say, the very efficient ones are super fragile, and the very durable ones are super inefficient.

OP: best of luck doing whatever it is you like. Really, though, it sounds like a JD wouldn't be worth the three years, let alone debt and lost wages etc.

User avatar
JD Janitor
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby JD Janitor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... l-age.html

How does this fit into the equation? Anyone? Like I said, maybe we are RETURNING to normal temperatures.

rickgrimes69 wrote:ONE: The earth is warming. THIS IS A BASIC AND UNDISPUTED FUCKING FACT.


No, this is a very disputed THEORY. Far from a fact.
Last edited by JD Janitor on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby flem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:23 am

worthy necro

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby fatduck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 am

JD Janitor wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2171973/Tree-ring-study-proves-climate-WARMER-Roman-Medieval-times-modern-industrial-age.html

How does this fit into the equation? Anyone? Like I said, maybe we are RETURNING to normal temperatures.

rickgrimes69 wrote:ONE: The earth is warming. THIS IS A BASIC AND UNDISPUTED FUCKING FACT.


No, this is a very disputed THEORY. Far from a fact.

please expound for us your SHITBOOMER definition of the word "theory"

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Postby flem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 am

fatduck wrote:please expound for us your SHITBOOMER definition of the word "theory"


evolution is just theory bro




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests