Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Samara

Gold

Re: Tier3FullTuition with Connections OR Buncha Debt@Tier2

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:56 am

fatduck wrote:a proposal:

anyone who talks about "destroying jobs" or "creating jobs"

should be killed

thoughts?
Agreed.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 am

Your softs are mediocre. An example of good softs for a place like Berkeley would be founding a non-profit with thousands of members and actually shutting down some plants or getting laws enacted, not being quoted a couple of times in local papers.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 am

JD Janitor wrote:
The misquote is what threw me off. I thought the taking over the national guard bit was pretty funny.
Yes that was my fault. I hope the National Guard thing was a joke haha.

But my original point is that the OP wants advice on what school to go to. He wants the best opportunity to get a good job yet if he accomplishes his goal he will destroy thousands of jobs for others.
Yeah, I'm not getting into the greenhouse effect v. jerbs quagmire. No fucking thanks.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 am

Coal is important and supports many families.....but fight on crusader!

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:24 am

OP, have you researched whether these schools currently run or have ever run on electricity supplied through a coal power plant? Better check that out, choose the school that hasnt or, if both run on coal, do not go. Also, that prius you drive...I hope you make sure that every outlet you plug it into is powered via the sun rather than coal. oh...wait...I just looked up the process of making the battery that the prius uses...its very unfriendly to the environment so you better ride the sun powered bus that will surely be offered through your school.

Don't even get me strated on nuclear power...Japan? hellooooooo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:26 am

JD Janitor wrote:OP, have you researched whether these schools currently run or have ever run on electricity supplied through a coal power plant? Better check that out, choose the school that hasnt or, if both run on coal, do not go. Also, that prius you drive...I hope you make sure that every outlet you plug it into is powered via the sun rather than coal. oh...wait...I just looked up the process of making the battery that the prius uses...its very unfriendly to the environment so you better ride the sun powered bus that will surely be offered through your school.

i suppose if he destroys the coal industry the world will just give up on electricity

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 am

*sigh. Here we go.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:30 am

JD Janitor wrote:OP, have you researched whether these schools currently run or have ever run on electricity supplied through a coal power plant? Better check that out, choose the school that hasnt or, if both run on coal, do not go. Also, that prius you drive...I hope you make sure that every outlet you plug it into is powered via the sun rather than coal. oh...wait...I just looked up the process of making the battery that the prius uses...its very unfriendly to the environment so you better ride the sun powered bus that will surely be offered through your school.

8/10 trolling. Would read again.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:30 am

i'm actually more mad about the nuclear power jab

reeks of SHITBOOMER

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:31 am

fatduck wrote:i'm actually more mad about the nuclear power jab

reeks of SHITBOOMER
That one actually irritated me the most as well.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:31 am

abc12345675 wrote:Coal is important and supports many families.....but fight on crusader!
So you would be against my suggestion that OP invent cold fusion technology to fuel power plants?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:32 am

I should say neither, in this environment.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:36 am

Tom Joad wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:Coal is important and supports many families.....but fight on crusader!
So you would be against my suggestion that OP invent cold fusion technology to fuel power plants?
I get to be Val Kilmer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:47 am

bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
I get to be Val Kilmer.
WHAT!??? Blasphemy!

How can you support someone who's roles tout the unrestricted use of fossil fuels?? ie Top Gun with those gas guzzeling jets and Batman with his ridiculous batmobile and its 4mpg.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:48 am

JD Janitor wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
I get to be Val Kilmer.
WHAT!??? Blasphemy!

How can you support someone who's roles tout the unrestricted use of fossil fuels?? ie Top Gun with those gas guzzeling jets and Batman with his ridiculous batmobile and its 4mpg.
Whoosh.

Younks

New

Post by Younks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm

The technology to replace coal is already available and cost competitive. The problem with getting rid of it in this area (Southern Illinois), and I assume elsewhere, is predominantly the culture surrounding coal and the view that its use is inevitable. Most locals (non-college students) have some affiliation with coal - usually a friend or family member worked in a coal mine or plant. They point to this as a demonstration of how important coal is to the economy, and how environmentalists are to blame for the declining jobs in the coal industry. This is bullshit, as increasing automation is the cause of these lost jobs (as the industry periodical "Coal News" points out), not EPA regulations without an enforcement mechanism. The Chancellor of the university even said in a meeting that, "SIU is not serious about clean energy". A lesson to would-be lawyers - bring a tape recorder. The anti-coal campaign I was on could have made a mix-tape of that and sent it to every university student. F%& S%*$ Z$*$!!!!!

Anyway.....

The inevitability of using coal. People often quip "But wherever might we obtain our electrons to power our i-Pods, and Youtubes gadgets!?!" The sun. Sheesh. A solar array of about 15 panels, costing $6,000 in materials is enough for most people in most regions (of course the closer to the equator and less cloudy the better) to power their house for 25 years under warranty. Yet the perception that coal is inevitable is literally indoctrinated into this region's educational system at a young age. The coal industry even funds a teacher's retreat every year to teach teachers to teach about coal (I'm not even kidding).

Yet I have a problem that the system (law) that allows this injustice to be carried out on communities also creates the appearance of balance with the designation of "environmental lawyers". There is little that one can legally do to stop a coal plant (I still don't understand how Mercury, Lead, and Arsenic in the air don't qualify as a public nuisance), and thus environmental law seems almost hopeless, until shit gets real (ie; a slurry pond infiltrates a town's ground water and sinks start spewing black sludge). I'm guessing the next high-visibility environmental disaster will be from a nuclear rather than a coal-fired plant.

Anyways...... Coal sucks, ride a bike, plant a garden, put up solar panels. The end.

Oh, and full ride ftw.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Why don't you just go into politics or advocacy if that is what you want to do?

Why law?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Why don't you just go into politics or advocacy if that is what you want to do?

Why law?
Because a JD is how you go into politics DUH

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:38 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Why don't you just go into politics or advocacy if that is what you want to do?

Why law?
Because a JD is how you go into politics DUH
Especially TTT JDs. Get an MPP or something. Or a phd in geology.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Or get a masters in enviro science or ecology or something. Sounds like you would enjoy that more than studying civil procedure and con law.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Younks wrote:The technology to replace coal is already available and cost competitive. The problem with getting rid of it in this area (Southern Illinois), and I assume elsewhere, is predominantly the culture surrounding coal and the view that its use is inevitable. Most locals (non-college students) have some affiliation with coal - usually a friend or family member worked in a coal mine or plant. They point to this as a demonstration of how important coal is to the economy, and how environmentalists are to blame for the declining jobs in the coal industry. This is bullshit, as increasing automation is the cause of these lost jobs (as the industry periodical "Coal News" points out), not EPA regulations without an enforcement mechanism. The Chancellor of the university even said in a meeting that, "SIU is not serious about clean energy". A lesson to would-be lawyers - bring a tape recorder. The anti-coal campaign I was on could have made a mix-tape of that and sent it to every university student. F%& S%*$ Z$*$!!!!!

Anyway.....

The inevitability of using coal. People often quip "But wherever might we obtain our electrons to power our i-Pods, and Youtubes gadgets!?!" The sun. Sheesh. A solar array of about 15 panels, costing $6,000 in materials is enough for most people in most regions (of course the closer to the equator and less cloudy the better) to power their house for 25 years under warranty. Yet the perception that coal is inevitable is literally indoctrinated into this region's educational system at a young age. The coal industry even funds a teacher's retreat every year to teach teachers to teach about coal (I'm not even kidding).

Yet I have a problem that the system (law) that allows this injustice to be carried out on communities also creates the appearance of balance with the designation of "environmental lawyers". There is little that one can legally do to stop a coal plant (I still don't understand how Mercury, Lead, and Arsenic in the air don't qualify as a public nuisance), and thus environmental law seems almost hopeless, until shit gets real (ie; a slurry pond infiltrates a town's ground water and sinks start spewing black sludge). I'm guessing the next high-visibility environmental disaster will be from a nuclear rather than a coal-fired plant.

Anyways...... Coal sucks, ride a bike, plant a garden, put up solar panels. The end.

Oh, and full ride ftw.
Or I can not be a pain in the ass and drive my car, not care about plants, and ignore your advice. Thanks for playing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Younks wrote:The technology to replace coal is already available and cost competitive. The problem with getting rid of it in this area (Southern Illinois), and I assume elsewhere, is predominantly the culture surrounding coal and the view that its use is inevitable. Most locals (non-college students) have some affiliation with coal - usually a friend or family member worked in a coal mine or plant. They point to this as a demonstration of how important coal is to the economy, and how environmentalists are to blame for the declining jobs in the coal industry. This is bullshit, as increasing automation is the cause of these lost jobs (as the industry periodical "Coal News" points out), not EPA regulations without an enforcement mechanism. The Chancellor of the university even said in a meeting that, "SIU is not serious about clean energy". A lesson to would-be lawyers - bring a tape recorder. The anti-coal campaign I was on could have made a mix-tape of that and sent it to every university student. F%& S%*$ Z$*$!!!!!

Anyway.....

Oh, and full ride ftw.

If sun panels were actually soo much more cost effective than coal, I would be using them and so would many others. Solar companies are failing because their technology is not cost effective or economically sustainable. The only way any of these companies pretend to stay in business is through big government backing. Private investors want nothing to do with solar companies. Coal is a great cheap source of energy. I dont give a crap if they tear into some mountain to get coal.

Please post a link to showing where I can buy solarpanels, have them installed, and run my car, power my house, heat my pool, and charge my electronics for a much cheaper price than simply using the electricity from my coal burning power plant.

People in general feel that their lives are worthless. Because of this, some individuals search out a cause to make them feel good about themselves. You have chosen to buy into the liberal BS that thinks the world is being destroyed and YOU can save it. By buying into this, you now have a purpose. Oh joy. Nevermind that its all based on emotion rather than fact.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:26 pm

JD Janitor wrote:People in general feel that their lives are worthless. Because of this, some individuals search out a cause to make them feel good about themselves. You have chosen to buy into the liberal BS that thinks the world is being destroyed and YOU can save it. By buying into this, you now have a purpose. Oh joy. Nevermind that its all based on emotion rather than fact.
You don't think there is evidence which supports the conclusion that earth is in a warming cycle? Or you don't think there is evidence that the warming cycle is caused by humans? Or you don't think there is anything he can do about it? Be specific about your claim here.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 pm

You also might want to check out what old coal mines look like and what they do to the nearby environment. I like electricity but coal has its downfalls.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm

bjsesq wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:People in general feel that their lives are worthless. Because of this, some individuals search out a cause to make them feel good about themselves. You have chosen to buy into the liberal BS that thinks the world is being destroyed and YOU can save it. By buying into this, you now have a purpose. Oh joy. Nevermind that its all based on emotion rather than fact.
You don't think there is evidence which supports the conclusion that earth is in a warming cycle? Or you don't think there is evidence that the warming cycle is caused by humans? Or you don't think there is anything he can do about it? Be specific about your claim here.

I believe that Earth, throughout its history, has seen climate changes. I do not believe that humans are the cause of this change. The climate may be changing now....it may be getting hotter in some areas and it may be getting cooler in others. Maybe everything is heating or everything is cooling. Humans are not the cause. If we assume that the climate is actually changing, whos to say that it isn't returning to a a previous norm that existed hundreds or thousands of years ago? Maybe the climate has been out of wack for the last few centuries and now it is returning to normal? My point is that there is no conclusive evidence that humans are capable of causing any lasting change to the environment.
Some may say that science has come to a concensus that global warming exists (which actually isnt true...scientists largely disagree over this topic) But a consensus on a scientific topic does not make it a scientific fact. Science operates regardless of consensus. The scientific world could come to the consensus that coal helps maintain the climate but just becuase there is a consensus does not make it true. In the same way, just because many believe humans cause global warming does not make it true.
Last edited by JD Janitor on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”