Southwestern sticker or Whittier with 27k?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PennBull

Re: Southwestern sticker or Whittier with 27k?

Postby PennBull » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 am

romothesavior wrote:Also, lest OP gets too cocky, I know people who transferred from schools of this caliber to my T20. Many of them struck out at OCI. I think transferring to a school like UCLA/USC is the credited move and based on his post history it sounds like that's what he intends to do, but it is by no means a guarantee of anything. OP, your prize for killing it at your TTTT and transferring up may simply be more debt. I don't doubt that you'll find some form of legal employment, but the high-paying jobs that you'll likely need to service your debt may still be hard to come by. I sincerely wish you the best of luck though.

I actually suggest transfer to USC/UCLA, hustle the FUCK out of OCI, and then drop out if he strikes out.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:04 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:51 am

hunterinc

Postby hunterinc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:I am genuinely glad that this worked out for the OP (as Nova said, tentatively). But let's not forget that there are countless others in his class who are looking back (or will soon look back) and realize that they made the biggest mistake of their life by going to Whitter/Southwestern. No one- not me, not anyone else- has ever maintained that it is impossible to have success from schools like these. Some people do kill it, transfer out, and have good careers. OP's success really doesn't prove or disprove anything; he's an outlier and beat the odds. But making major investment decisions based on extreme outliers is very irrational, which is why people shouldn't attend these schools. Sure, sometimes 2-7 beats pocket aces, but that doesn't make it a good bet. There are dozens, even hundreds of others in his 1L class who thought they would buck the trend as well, and now they're suffocating under a mountain of debt with virtually no shot at a decent legal job.

Also, lest OP gets too cocky, I know people who transferred from schools of this caliber to my T20. Many of them struck out at OCI. I think transferring to a school like UCLA/USC is the credited move and based on his post history it sounds like that's what he intends to do, but it is by no means a guarantee of anything. OP, your prize for killing it at your TTTT and transferring up may simply be more debt. I don't doubt that you'll find some form of legal employment, but the high-paying jobs that you'll likely need to service your debt may still be hard to come by. I sincerely wish you the best of luck though.

Thank you for the good wishes... and yes I plan on applying to USC/UCLA, despite all the incentives I'm getting offered to stay.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”