Southwestern sticker or Whittier with 27k?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flem

Re: Southwestern sticker or Whittier with 27k?

Postby flem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:36 am

romothesavior wrote:-At Whittier, only 21 of 123 graduates (17%) got full-time, bar passage-required jobs.

Holy shit, that isn't a joke. That is atrocious.

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Wily wrote:Man, this forum is good at chasing away the new posters who ask about T2/T3/T4 schools. I wonder how many of them actually stay long enough to read all the way down these threads.

pshh, I sure do !
:]

jkbec1

Postby jkbec1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Take Whittier with the $$$.

Others have been telling you to skip both, but no one has asked if that's even an option. So I will.

Can you relocate out of state?
If not, how far are you willing to commute?

To everyone else, for many living here in SoCal, moving is not an option. Some have families with spouses that work and children to take care of. T1 schools for many are out of reach, both geographically and financially even with $$$. Lay off those who cannot attend a better school.

According the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for lawyers is 1.6% and the median income for new grads is $75k nationally. Yes, I will grant that the numbers on their face look bad, but so do the numbers for new grad RN's and MD's. However, over the long run, you will make more money attending law school, than any other profession and you do not need a big law firm to do it.

Case in point, if you spend 3 years in the DA's office, you will have more trial experience than a fellow graduate who goes to work for a civil litigation firm and while they will make more money than you at the start, but at the end of the 3 years, you can take your extensive trial experience and go to work for that very same civ lit firm and get paid more than your fellow grad and be on track to make partner first.

In SoCal, the majority of judges at both the Superior and Appellate levels have come from T4 schools. Do not let these snobs scare you away from what you want to do. If you want to practice law, then go for it. If you are unable to move, then take Whittier.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 pm

jkbec1 wrote:Take Whittier with the $$$.

Others have been telling you to skip both, but no one has asked if that's even an option. So I will.

To everyone else, for many living here in SoCal, moving is not an option. Some have families with spouses that work and children to take care of. T1 schools for many are out of reach, both geographically and financially even with $$$. Lay off those who cannot attend a better school.

According the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for lawyers is 1.6% and the median income for new grads is $75k nationally. Yes, I will grant that the numbers on their face look bad, but so do the numbers for new grad RN's and MD's. However, over the long run, you will make more money attending law school, than any other profession and you do not need a big law firm to do it.

Case in point, if you spend 3 years in the DA's office, you will have more trial experience than a fellow graduate who goes to work for a civil litigation firm and while they will make more money than you at the start, but at the end of the 3 years, you can take your extensive trial experience and go to work for that very same civ lit firm and get paid more than your fellow grad and be on track to make partner first.

In SoCal, the majority of judges at both the Superior and Appellate levels have come from T4 schools. Do not let these snobs scare you away from what you want to do. If you want to practice law, then go for it. If you are unable to move, then take Whittier.

This is just a fucking moronic post across the board.

Others have been telling you to skip both, but no one has asked if that's even an option.

It's always an option, and it has nothing to do with relocation. How about, oh I dunno... not going to law school at all?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:At Whittier, only 21 of 123 graduates (17%) got full-time, bar passage-required jobs.

jkbec1 wrote:If not, how far are you willing to commute?

romothesavior wrote:At Whittier, only 21 of 123 graduates (17%) got full-time, bar passage-required jobs.

jkbec1 wrote:According the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for lawyers is 1.6% and the median income for new grads is $75k nationally. Yes, I will grant that the numbers on their face look bad, but so do the numbers for new grad RN's and MD's. However, over the long run, you will make more money attending law school, than any other profession and you do not need a big law firm to do it.

jkbec1 wrote:Case in point, if you spend 3 years in the DA's office, you will have more trial experience than a fellow graduate who goes to work for a civil litigation firm and while they will make more money than you at the start, but at the end of the 3 years, you can take your extensive trial experience and go to work for that very same civ lit firm and get paid more than your fellow grad and be on track to make partner first.

romothesavior wrote:In SoCal, the majority of judges at both the Superior and Appellate levels have come from T4 schools. Do not let these snobs scare you away from what you want to do. If you want to practice law, then go for it. If you are unable to move, then take Whittier.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 pm

flem wrote:
mikebag23 wrote:I am confident I can place in the top 10% at either school

I'm sure you are, slugger.

Op will hustle. Don't worry.

jkbec1

Postby jkbec1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:

This is just a fucking moronic post across the board.

Others have been telling you to skip both, but no one has asked if that's even an option.

It's always an option, and it has nothing to do with relocation. How about, oh I dunno... not going to law school at all?

Who made you the fucking king of the world? So, if that's the extent of your arguing skills, then I will look forward to seeing you at Burger King the next time I take my kids. Make sure not to get burned from the deep fryer.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24 pm

jkbec1 wrote:Who made you the fucking king of the world? So, if that's the extent of your arguing skills, then I will look forward to seeing you at Burger King the next time I take my kids. Make sure not to get burned from the deep fryer.

lol son you got problems if you thing legal practice is about "arguing."

Postby 071816 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:26 pm

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 pm

You wrote nothing worth responding to. The few substantive points you attempted to make were flat out inaccurate, and the rest was incomprehensible boomerbabble. It was one of the most asinine things I have ever read.

I believe timbs said it best:

Suggesting that someone go to a school with statistics like these is just rank idiocy.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Relevant: does OPs scholarship have the dreaded top 5% stip?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105766&p=2765878&hilit=Whittier+stipulation#p2765878

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:You wrote nothing worth responding to. The few substantive points you attempted to make were flat out inaccurate, and the rest was incomprehensible boomerbabble. It was one of the most asinine things I have ever read.

I believe timbs said it best:

Suggesting that someone go to a school with statistics like these is just rank idiocy.

Literally you have a better shot at roulette, craps, or blackjack and a full time legal jerb from Whittier. The sublimest of idiocy.

TheWeeIceMon

Postby TheWeeIceMon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 am

:lol: Have any thing to back up the bolded?

flem

Postby flem » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:23 am

top30man wrote:Relevant: does OPs scholarship have the dreaded top 5% stip?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105766&p=2765878&hilit=Whittier+stipulation#p2765878

LOLOL is that a fucking joke

Then again if I went to Whittier and finished outside of top 5% I'd probably drop out anyway

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 am

flem wrote:
top30man wrote:Relevant: does OPs scholarship have the dreaded top 5% stip?
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... n#p2765878

LOLOL is that a fucking joke

Then again if I went to Whittier and finished outside of top 5% I'd probably drop out anyway

+1. The kind of person that goes to Whittier might need a swift kick in the balls to indicate that you shouldn't be there.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm

well said, don't listen to the haters, take whittier and the money, plus it's in the orange county and located in a very nice area, attend and study hard, don't let others tell you that you will fail before you even start

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Jah'rakal wrote: well said, don't listen to the haters, take whittier and the money, plus it's in the orange county and located in a very nice area, attend and study hard, don't let others tell you that you will fail before you even start

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:well said, don't listen to the haters, take whittier and the money, plus it's in the orange county and located in a very nice area, attend and study hard, don't let others tell you that you will fail before you even start
It's "hating" to point out that betting $100,000 on a 17% chance at a legal job is a bad idea? You are an idiot. GTFO with your awful advice and opinions on how nice the area is.

Where do these people keep coming from?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:13 pm

North wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:well said, don't listen to the haters, take whittier and the money, plus it's in the orange county and located in a very nice area, attend and study hard, don't let others tell you that you will fail before you even start
It's "hating" to point out that betting $100,000 on a 17% chance at a legal job is a bad idea? You are an idiot. GTFO with your awful advice and opinions on how nice the area is.

Where do these people keep coming from?

My guess is the AARP thread.

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Now that I think about it, I remember this guy trolling in the same manner from over a year ago. The question is whether he is just a troll stirring the pot or actually believes the shit he posts. If I could hope, I'd hope for troll.

Postby 071816 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Jah'rakal: One of the best trolls TLS has ever seen.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 pm

chimp wrote:Jah'rakal: One of the best trolls TLS has ever seen.

Which is like saying he's one of the best quarterbacks in Bears history.

Postby 071816 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
chimp wrote:Jah'rakal: One of the best trolls TLS has ever seen.

Which is like saying he's one of the best quarterbacks in Bears history.

Pretty much. He's almost as good as BearsGrl.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:08 am

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:17 pm

TheWeeIceMon wrote:

:lol: Have any thing to back up the bolded?

+1
I'm dying to take a look at that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”