Criminal Defense--Where should I go? or wait?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where do I go?

Fuck the 5-0 go now Wake(5k)
10%
Fuck the 5-0 go now Charlotte(almost full ride)
20%
Wait another fucking year and start LS at 31yo
70%

Total votes: 20

Re: Criminal Defense--Where should I go? or wait?

Postby 1776 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm

RIPdirtmcgirt wrote:
Icculus wrote:
jml8756 wrote:You want to be a criminal defense lawyer because you hate cops? That seems like a bad reason.

Its personal. But I dont mind sharing.

Back when I was a senior in '04. Wireless routers werent as common as they are now and most people had them unsecured unlike now. Someone in my apt complex connected to mine and did some fucked up stuff. Put ads out on craiglist to set up robberies. I was considered a suspect and I can see why initially. My family didnt have alot of money to pay for a lawyer. They came and asked me about it and said my ip was used to set up craiglist ads. I was never arrested or charged but they harrassed me for almost 2 years. About two weeks after that when I was away for a weekend trip, they executed a search warrant in my absence. They took my computers, my xbox, my tv, my printer, the router that belonged to time warner anything that could be hooked up to a computer was what the warrant said. They also took a firearm that was legally licensed to me which I never got back along with the tv, they claim both were mislabeled and destroyed by the evidence dept as unclaimed property. I was never compensated for either. They left a copy of the warrant and the inventory of property on the table. What wasnt on the inventory was a fake rolex watch i bought in NY, it looked very real. It was missing and presumably stolen. I assume that one of them thought it might be real and wanted to keep or sell it. They also decided that while they were there they would fix a frozen pizza from my freezer and in my oven and eat on my plates which they left in the sink unwashed. As well as a few slices still on top of the stove. The absolute worst was that one of those fat fuckers took a shit in my toilet and didnt flush it and left it there until monday when i came back.

I needed a computer for school so I borrowed the money from my mother. A week later when I was walking back from class. Two detectives walk up on me and tell me they have another search warrant to look for more stuff. They take my brand new computer and all of my mail including the $1600 check that was supposed to be my rent and living money. I did get the check back but after the 6 month limit on cashing or depositing it. I was unable to get it reissued due to the owner of the business filing for bankruptcy.

That was it for the search warrants. After this, I borrowed $3000 from my elderly grandfather who was on a fixed income to hire an attorney. He is now deceased. I was able to pay half of it back before he died. When he died he had a house and $13k to his name and $4k debt. He obtained phone records from verizon that showed I was not in the areas of these crimes when they occurred based on the location of the nearest towers from my cell phone. He also obtained records from the college that showed I was using my card to get into buildings on campus and using it to print in the library at some of the times the robberys as well as the time someone used my wifi. He also got the system logs from the IT people on campus where I had used my password to login in engineering lab. The only thing we were not able to obtain was the tapes from cameras on campus they got overwritten every 45 days and this was over 45 days later.

He set up a meeting with the detectives and DA downtown and us to show them the overwhelming evidence against what they were accusing me of doing. They said that all of this meant nothing to them and that they thought i gave someone else my cell phone, id card and password while the crimes were happening. They also told me that they would make sure I went to jail. They told my lawyer they could not turn over any records to him yet because I was not charged and that the discovery process happens only then. From what we had been able to obtain publicly, the victims had identified the robber as a black man 5'7-5'10 and 215-240 lbs. Back then I was 6'4 and 180. Not even close. They still pursued me.

From
Fast forward another month, they went to my girlfriends parents house and asked to search there. They told her that they would make sure I got life in prison unless she told them everything about me. They made her cry and she says they laughed at her. They asked both her and me to take a voice stress test. My lawyer advised me not to take it but I would have been happy to. My gf took it but we never heard anything about a result. They also got the local cops from where I was originally from to search at my parents house and my brothers house. They also leaked my name as a suspect to the local media and I was harassed by them for about two weeks.

For the next almost 2 years, everytime I would start a new job, the cops would show up within the first two weeks asking to talk to me about being a suspect. For some reason, I was always let go within 90 days before the prbationary hiring was expired.

So yeah, thats the short version. You would hate cops too. I hate those motherfuckers so much after what happened to me. I think they are all a bunch of cocksucking crooks that dont care about justice. They just want to lock someone up whether its the right man or not. So yeah thats why I want to be a lawyer because I dont want to see them treat anyone else like I was treated.

Holy shit, that's fucking awful.

I can see why you hate cops. I guess you want to go to law school to help people like you, not for revenge.

I am also considering trying to become a public defender. But I think I would burnout really quickly in that field.

moreprejthanprob

Postby moreprejthanprob » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:01 pm

kalvano wrote:Criminal defense attorneys don't spend their days crossing cops and pleading with juries about how the system has unfairly stacked the deck against a poor, innocent client.

They make plea bargains with prosecutors for people who are, by and large, guilty as sin.

I am aware of what criminal defense attorneys do. See:
moreprejthanprob wrote:Also, you should realize that criminal defense work is often thankless and in most cases is a piece of the same outcome-reproducing system that allows [similar scenarios as] what happened to you to occur to countless others.

I apologize if my statement was read as attempting to say that most of the people in the criminal justice system are in situations like OP was in, and are factually innocent; that is not what I meant to imply. Certainly such a scenario represents the absolute worst of what the system can allow for, but the more common ones surely don’t inspire any confidence in it either.

I was mostly commenting on the repeated insult to OP's underlying reason for wanting to go to law school because of hating the police. Even if you don’t get to cross dirty cops and expose the justice system for the unjust calamity it is on a daily basis (or perhaps even ever), I still think there are far worse reasons to go to law school.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:08 pm

moreprejthanprob wrote:I was mostly commenting on the repeated insult to OP's underlying reason for wanting to go to law school because of hating the police. Even if you don’t get to cross dirty cops and expose the justice system for the unjust calamity it is on a daily basis (or perhaps even ever), I still think there are far worse reasons to go to law school.

I don't think that wanting to do criminal defense is necessarily a bad thing, but this part throws me:

RIPdirtmcgirt wrote:because I hate the fuckin cops here with a passion and because of the passion, i would be good at it. No interest in any other law.

He's assuming that he will be good at something (a big assumption) and also seems to not care much about really being a lawyer except for the opportunity it might allow to strike back at the police. He won't really get that. In addition, this:

RIPdirtmcgirt wrote:right now I'm not even interested in working for anybody else because every job I've had sucks.

won't end well. If he thinks working for a boss sucks, wait until he tries to work for some of these crazy jackass clients. As well, going solo straight out is super risky at best.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 pm

kalvano wrote:but this part throws me:

RIPdirtmcgirt wrote:because I hate the fuckin cops here with a passion and because of the passion, i would be good at it. No interest in any other law.

He's assuming that he will be good at something (a big assumption) and also seems to not care much about really being a lawyer except for the opportunity it might allow to strike back at the police. He won't really get that. In addition, this:

RIPdirtmcgirt wrote:right now I'm not even interested in working for anybody else because every job I've had sucks.

won't end well. If he thinks working for a boss sucks, wait until he tries to work for some of these crazy jackass clients. As well, going solo straight out is super risky at best.

Honestly, after reading OP's story and goals it seems that he's a bit immature and heading to law school for the wrong reasons. And as much as he may hate cops, hating cops is not going to get him through 1L doctrinal classes that basically have nothing to do with what he's actually interested in. Also, the idea of never wanting to work for someone else throws me, especially since it's because "every job I've had sucks." I've had shitty jobs, but part of growing up is working a job you may hate and learning to separate professional from personal. The only way to really learn anything is to be mentored, and as far as I can tell law school is basically a big, expensive hoop to jump through so you can get to the point where someone actually teaches you how to be a lawyer. And what would OP do 1L summer or 2L summer if he refuses to work for someone else?

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 pm

RIPdirtmcgirt wrote:Has anyone heard of schools reconsidering based on June LSAT if you were rejected? Specifically UNC?

When did you apply? It must have been later in the cycle. I know many people accepted to UNC with worse numbers than you and they were not a URM. something is off here. You should have been accepted with money.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:23 pm

kalvano wrote:Criminal defense attorneys don't spend their days crossing cops and pleading with juries about how the system has unfairly stacked the deck against a poor, innocent client.

They make plea bargains with prosecutors for people who are, by and large, guilty as sin.

:roll:

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Go to cheapest school. No one ever hires someone after considering the school. Then spend the three years ignoring school and work at your local PD office.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”