Seattle U vs Brooklyn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aaron88

New

Seattle U vs Brooklyn

Post by aaron88 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Would love some thoughts on my options

Numbers: 3.5 & 157

Seattle U with 17k/yr: total cost after (10yr) loan payment (138k)

Brooklyn with 19+/yr: total cost after (10yr) loan payment (193k)

I currently live in Seattle and love the area. However, I have been to new York a couple times and absolutely loved it. I could definitly see myself living in NYC for an extended period of time. I made deposits at both and now trying to decide.

I am also on the waitlists at Iowa, Cardozo and Lewis and Clark.

If I get into Iowa I would probably go. Cardozo is a tougher call and I'm not that interested in Lewis and Clark.

Thoughts?

ahnhub

Silver

Re: Seattle U vs Brooklyn

Post by ahnhub » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 pm

You should retake, and that's what 98% of people on TLS are gonna tell you. Both of those options are terrible.

One option is somewhat worse than the other. Almost 200K for Brooklyn is crazy. 138K for Seattle is also really bad, but if you're from there I guess it's less bad.

The rankings are meaningless. Don't get caught up in them.

Edit: sorry, that last part I was thinking of another poster. But if rankings are at all influencing your decision, they shouldn't be.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:53 pm

Retake in October

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Nova wrote:Retake in October
This. Retaking w/ a 4-6 point bump will get you decent scholarships. 165+ will fetch you some full-rides as well.

Either way, it's the best option here.

pat4redick

New

Post by pat4redick » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:
This. Retaking w/ a 4-6 point bump will get you decent scholarships. 165+ will fetch you some full-rides as well.

Either way, it's the best option here.
+1. I applied with 3.1/164 and got a full ride from Brooklyn plus living stipend. And I'm retaking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Do this. Please.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Pick if you want to be indebted and unemployed in NYC or Seattle, and then follow your regional preference.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:54 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Pick if you want to be indebted and unemployed in NYC or Seattle, and then follow your regional preference.

lawschool?s

New

Post by lawschool?s » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I think TLS is too elitist and being a Seattle local as well I would recommend Seattle U. If your comfortable not getting a six figure job and having to find yourself employment Seattle U is very doable. Capitol Hill is dope and the law school is amazing (TLS Users are gonna say blah blah employment stats) and you would have a good time when you're not studying.

I think you are on the upper end of scholarships, as they max out at 20,500 I believe, and I think that is a very manageable amount of debt even on 60k a year.

By the way, the prosecuting attorneys and DA's in the area are all from Seattle U (albeit UW is half the size of Seattle U's class)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:22 pm

lawschool?s wrote: (TLS Users are gonna say blah blah employment stats)
LST;SU 2011 wrote:•40.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..
•61% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•66% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 pm

lawschool?s wrote:I think TLS is too elitist and being a Seattle local as well I would recommend Seattle U. If your comfortable not getting a six figure job and having to find yourself employment Seattle U is very doable. Capitol Hill is dope and the law school is amazing (TLS Users are gonna say blah blah employment stats) and you would have a good time when you're not studying.

I think you are on the upper end of scholarships, as they max out at 20,500 I believe, and I think that is a very manageable amount of debt even on 60k a year.

By the way, the prosecuting attorneys and DA's in the area are all from Seattle U (albeit UW is half the size of Seattle U's class)
Oh cool, we're already at the part where we conflate elitism with wanting a fucking job after you graduate. Awesome.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:40 pm

lawschool?s wrote:I think TLS is too elitist and being a Seattle local as well I would recommend Seattle U. If your comfortable not getting a six figure job and having to find yourself employment Seattle U is very doable. Capitol Hill is dope and the law school is amazing (TLS Users are gonna say blah blah employment stats) and you would have a good time when you're not studying.

Please run the numbers on what the payment schedule is for 140K of debt. It's like 10K in interest before taxes and before making a dent in principal.

OP: Brooklyn at that price is basically suicide. Don't go there.

At least try to negotiate with both schools.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Neither.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Agreed, law school shouldn't be about "stats" or "jobs," it's about living in a sick pad in a dope area. Don't listen to these haters man if you love the law you'll def make it as a lawyerbrah.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:58 pm

NOPE NOPE NOPE

My BF graduated summa cum laude from Seattle U. He got a job ambulance chasing two days before his student loans came due. (He is now in a better job after paying his shitlaw dues for a few years.) His fellow honors grads have moved back in with their parents out of state, looked for 2+ years to find paralegal work, or taken doc review jobs. And those are people in the top quartile of the class. The only person in his peer group who got a legit firm job after graduation was a URM.

Do not go to law school there. Don't go to Brooklyn either.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:29 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Agreed, law school shouldn't be about "stats" or "jobs," it's about living in a sick pad in a dope area. Don't listen to these haters man if you love the law you'll def make it as a lawyerbrah.

F*** you Rick. You should have died in that hospital so you wouldn't be giving people terrible advice :-p

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:33 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

F*** you Rick. You should have died in that hospital so you wouldn't be giving people terrible advice :-p
Fucking sarcasm, how does it work?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Don't do either.

If you insist on ignoring everyone and going this year without a retake, at least wait to see if Lewis and Clark will take you off of their wait list.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Sounds like some SHITBOOMER optimism ITT. Saying don't go to Seattle U isn't elitist; its jobist. Though I suppose in today's economy, graduating into a legal job makes one a part of the bourgoise, so maybe they are one and the same.

1TLStudent

New

Post by 1TLStudent » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”