[Urgent] UCLA $$$ vs. UVA $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

UVA
43%
UCLA
57%

Total votes: 63

Fark-o-vision

Re: [Urgent] UCLA $$$ vs. UVA $

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 am

crossingforHYS wrote:
splitsplat wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:*** Stats
A. Of the 2011 graduates that ended up in firms, 60% of UCLA's graduates ended up at medium-to-large sized firms while that figure was 89% for UVA's graduates (numbers taken from each school's website along with a grain of salt)
B. 61% of UCLA's 2011 graduates were employed in jobs requiring a law degree while the same figure was 94.69% for UVA's graduates (numbers taken from this [in]famous WSJ article)

Those stats are OFFFFFFFFFFFF. You should know better than to take stats from a school's webpage.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181415&start=225

GREAT CHART!

( I truly mean its great, I did not see it before--and do not mean for this to be taken as a sarcastic reply)

By the way, given both charts available through that link, how is it possible to say that UCLA is objectively better than USC?

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Spoke with UVA today and they said the terms of my offer will remain as is.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:10 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Spoke with UVA today and they said the terms of my offer will remain as is.

I still say UVA. It's just a better institution. You will have equal employment opportunities in SoCal if you want to go back, but you keep the door open to go other places if you so choose.

jcdjgd

Postby jcdjgd » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Spoke with UVA today and they said the terms of my offer will remain as is.

Stick with UCLA. The cost of attendance is WAY lower and also the best school in Southern Cal. Taking out $180K in debt + interest @ UVA just seems unnecessary if I was already from SoCal and also WANTED to stay there to work.

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 pm

hobojarpen wrote:
Edit #1: My debt at UCLA would be ~120K and my debt at UVA would be ~180K.

Edit #2: I'll be contacting UVA soon to discuss this situation with them.

Edit #3: UVA said the terms of my offer will remain as is.

When I saw $$$, I expected damn near 3/4 tuition/full ride at UCLA.

UVA is worth the 60k difference.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm

OP, I implore you to explore who in this thread is not a 0L and weight their responses accordingly.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:40 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:OP, I implore you to explore who in this thread is not a 0L and weight their responses accordingly.

Not sure why you are saying this. At least two UVA students have said UCLA and at least one has said UCLA. I don't think its a black and white choice.

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:44 pm

The more I have thought about it, the more I realize I'm not quite sure I'm completely in the "California or bust" school of thought. Plus, the various people I've spoken with all emphasized that it'd be a great experience for me to leave the SoCal bubble for a few years. While I'm leaning towards sticking with UVA, I still have a few hours to make an official decision. I'll update again then, but yeah, I really appreciate everyone's input and advice thus far.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:OP, I implore you to explore who in this thread is not a 0L and weight their responses accordingly.

Not sure why you are saying this. At least two UVA students have said UCLA and at least one has said UCLA. I don't think its a black and white choice.

I'm saying it because there are at least a couple of comments in here that I believe have been made by 0Ls about the relative benefits of the schools. No more, no less.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Law Sauce wrote:

I think you mean at least one ova

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:19 pm

abc12345675 wrote:

I still say UVA. It's just a better institution. You will have equal employment opportunities in SoCal if you want to go back, but you keep the door open to go other places if you so choose.

Link?

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Edit #1: My debt at UCLA would be ~120K and my debt at UVA would be ~180K.

Edit #2: I'll be contacting UVA soon to discuss this situation with them.

Edit #3: UVA said the terms of my offer will remain as is.

Final Edit: I've decided to stick with UVA.
\[/url])

The fuck? When I read the title of this thread, I expected it to be more than a 60k difference in COA. You made the right call. Also, you should have leveraged UVA's offer to get more scholly money from UCLA, not the other way around (then taken the better offer to UVA to see if you could squeeze any extra $$$ out of them).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”