Ave Maria Naples or Barry Law Orlando

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Naples or Orlando?

Ave Maria Naples
29%
Barry Law Orlando
71%

Total votes: 42

Eblack

Re: Ave Maria Naples or Barry Law Orlando

Postby Eblack » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:01 am

Teflon_Jeff wrote:Obvious troll. No one graduates that early with that GPA without being able to take a test.

Correct response: Fire. Kill trolls with fire.

My LSAT score may suck, but you my friend are not that smart. Not too sure how I indicated troll behavior or what benefit I would get from it? If this topic isn't appropriate or seems fishy in anyway please remove me from the database. Not getting my feelings hurt about it don't worry.

Eblack

Postby Eblack » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:17 am

for the sake of not sounding like a complete tool and idiot. I must say I do agree, retaking it and getting a better score is the safe suggestion and a correct answer on all accounts. Either way, Im going to be attending a law school this fall. That being said, thank you for your ideas on ways to better my circumstances. It wasn't the question though and I see your answers for what they are, well thought out probably proper advice for most people. Punting on 4th down is always a safe option, but throwing for a 60yrd TD pass to a sketchy receiver seems to be my style as I don't doubt my own abilities to have success. Its just the receiving schools i'm worried about.

Choosing neither is just not applicable to my situation right now and I don't want to waste my life not going to school. I realize the massive debt and risks that come with my decisions, in no way am I trying to deny those aspects. Its either Naples or Orlando and maybe a wait-listed better school will except me as the school year nears closer.

thank you again for your time

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:27 am

Eblack wrote:for the sake of not sounding like a complete tool and idiot. I must say I do agree, retaking it and getting a better score is the safe suggestion and a correct answer on all accounts. Either way, Im going to be attending a law school this fall. That being said, thank you for your ideas on ways to better my circumstances. It wasn't the question though and I see your answers for what they are, well thought out probably proper advice for most people. Punting on 4th down is always a safe option, but throwing for a 60yrd TD pass to a sketchy receiver seems to be my style as I don't doubt my own abilities to have success. Its just the receiving schools i'm worried about.

Choosing neither is just not applicable to my situation right now and I don't want to waste my life not going to school. I realize the massive debt and risks that come with my decisions, in no way am I trying to deny those aspects. Its either Naples or Orlando and maybe a wait-listed better school will except me as the school year nears closer.

You could do something very meaningful in your year off, in fact most people do.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:28 am

If you questions your abilities at retaking you are going to have a tough time in law school.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:28 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
Eblack wrote:for the sake of not sounding like a complete tool and idiot. I must say I do agree, retaking it and getting a better score is the safe suggestion and a correct answer on all accounts. Either way, Im going to be attending a law school this fall. That being said, thank you for your ideas on ways to better my circumstances. It wasn't the question though and I see your answers for what they are, well thought out probably proper advice for most people. Punting on 4th down is always a safe option, but throwing for a 60yrd TD pass to a sketchy receiver seems to be my style as I don't doubt my own abilities to have success. Its just the receiving schools i'm worried about.

You could do something very meaningful in your year off, in fact most people do.
Most people I know who took a year off traveled or worked a shit job.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:31 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Most people I know who took a year off traveled or worked a shit job.

TBF, I bet those people weren't retaking a 145

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 am

Based on the piss poor reasoning skills you've exhibited in this thread, I see why you did so bad on the LSAT. Retake or don't go. There's no gun to your head.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:38 am

Last edited by fanmingrui on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 am

Why are you asking people to make this decision for you? Honestly both are terrible and I don't think anyone on this board wants to feel responsible for directing you to a terrible choice that could potentially ruin your life which is why everyone is telling you to retake.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:42 am

Man. Ave Maria and Barry are lucky there are so many people like you willing to drop a small fortune for nothing in return.

We're not trying to rag on you here. We're watching you make the same stupid decision that a lot of broke, unemployed, depressed, and hopeless people made. Seriously, even people at T14s are having a hard time getting jobs these days.

I'm not saying don't go to law school. I'm saying you should stop, take some time to improve your LSAT score, and at least try to get a scholarship. You may end up graduating without a job, but at least you wouldn't be drowning in non-dischargeable debt. It's worth the extra time and effort. DON'T BE IN A RUSH TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL. I waited a year after college before going, even though I didn't really have anything to do during that time. I worked my ass off studying for the LSAT, got a killer score, and now I'm at a T30 on a full scholarship. Jobs are tough, but I'm debt free. Do the same.

Brassica7

Postby Brassica7 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:54 am

Assuming you are not a troll: it is not stupid to attend a low ranked school if you have a job lined up through family connections. I doubt there is much difference in the quality of the legal education between Harvard and Barry. People trash schools like Barry and Ave Maria because of the poor job prospects they provide for their graduates. If you do not need to compete for a job, either school will let you sit for the bar. I vote for Barry because it is cheaper.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 am

If your parents are paying for it and they're guaranteeing you a job then I think it's fine to go to one of these. Just realize that working in your family firm is very possibly going to be the only legal job you ever have. What if you hate family law?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:46 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:If your parents are paying for it and they're guaranteeing you a job then I think it's fine to go to one of these. Just realize that working in your family firm is very possibly going to be the only legal job you ever have. What if you hate family law?

or if that firm goes under? I think it's a BEARSGRL alt anyway

impressivekowalski

Postby impressivekowalski » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:58 am

Record flame. My hat is off to you, OP.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:02 am

[quote="Brassica7"] I doubt there is much difference in the quality of the legal education between Harvard and Barry.

-_________-

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:03 am

Eblack wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:Your family can afford to pay for law school but can't afford for you to live at home for an extra year? FUCKING PROLES

idle time doesn't work out in my family. when given fortunate circumstances my whole life even summers in college were full time school. im 20 and have had my bachelors for some time now, last may, my idle time is up and law school 2012 is my only option coming from a family of 7 gens of attorneys.

BTW the only thing even remotely cool about ruxin is how good-looking his wife is. props to him

would you have suggested that I go to Notre Dame last year with a tiny scholarship rather than waiting a year doing menial work and going to NYU with almost a half-ride?

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 am

impressivekowalski wrote:Record flame. My hat is off to you, OP.

Troll harder, OP.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 am

OP - if you go to either of these schools you will regret it. They are terrible schools. You won't learn what you need to learn. You may not pass the bar.

If you family wants to waste money, that is their problem. You shouldn't want to waste your time going to a school that won't teach you anything.

I personally think both of those schools should be closed down. They are deceiving their students.

You can improve your LSAT. You just didn't study enough.

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Eblack wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:Obvious troll. No one graduates that early with that GPA without being able to take a test.

Correct response: Fire. Kill trolls with fire.

My LSAT score may suck, but you my friend are not that smart. Not too sure how I indicated troll behavior or what benefit I would get from it? If this topic isn't appropriate or seems fishy in anyway please remove me from the database. Not getting my feelings hurt about it don't worry.

Because it's a slow morning, I'll level up with some Troll battles, sure.

A good GPA takes 4+ years of solid work and time.

A good LSAT takes a few months, tops. It is worth literally tens of thousands of dollars.

With even a 160, you would be getting scholarship offers from Tier 1 and 2 schools. You could probably even nail a full ride to a not-terrible school. Over $100,000 for taking a year off and taking a test. You won't make that in the first year of practicing at your family's firm, so which is more valuable?

I'm not saying you shouldn't attend these schools. I'm saying you shouldn't pay for it. An acquaintance of mine just graduated from a TTTT school. had a job lined up before he even went, has no biglaw aspirations. He went to the cheapest school because he's going to be a small firm lawyer until he dies. (or retires, whatever) But he went on a full-ride+ stip. If you had that, then go, by all means. But you don't. You're (theoretically) going to spend a butt load of money (according to my precise measurements) to accomplish something that isn't worth the investment.

(I say theoretically because I'm convinced this is still a troll. But like I said, slow morning)

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey guys should I go to shitty option A or shitty option B? I know they are both incredibly shitty, awful decisions but I'm gonna go anyway. I have to go this fall because of shitty reasoning C. Any advice?

Postby 1776 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Eblack wrote:
dpk711 wrote:OP, hopefully the fact that no one has voted on either school in your poll, despite the fact that this thread is 16 comments deep is sufficiently indicative of how bad these schools are.

I catch the drift my friend don't worry. If i had other options I would. I still have the prospect of liberty university which seems actually like an honest possibility of acceptance surprisingly enough but wont have the final word until directly prior to my sanity falling off the cliff. So I for obvious reasons, am not counting my eggs on that issue.

As far as the topic heading and the main issue at point. The lack of answers in the poll and nobody saying anything god on either is exactly how I feel about the issue...not liking either but having to deal with one.

Payment comes in the idea that Ill be paying it off, all of it, just not all to a bank or the govt. fortunately which I once again realize what a blessing that is. I have taken a Kaplan course with great results on practice tests, no such luck on my actual LSAT and in no fashion or reasonable possibility would i ever want to take the LSAT again unless majorly necessary, like not getting into a single school. i did fortunately, so never again. I'm just trying to make the best choice out of bad choices either way.

on a side note, besides not having an a single answer I'm very impressed with this forum and the users. thank you for taking the time and giving me your opinions.

? is English your first language?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:37 pm

1776 wrote:
Eblack wrote:
dpk711 wrote:OP, hopefully the fact that no one has voted on either school in your poll, despite the fact that this thread is 16 comments deep is sufficiently indicative of how bad these schools are.

I catch the drift my friend don't worry. If i had other options I would. I still have the prospect of liberty university which seems actually like an honest possibility of acceptance surprisingly enough but wont have the final word until directly prior to my sanity falling off the cliff. So I for obvious reasons, am not counting my eggs on that issue.

As far as the topic heading and the main issue at point. The lack of answers in the poll and nobody saying anything god on either is exactly how I feel about the issue...not liking either but having to deal with one.

Payment comes in the idea that Ill be paying it off, all of it, just not all to a bank or the govt. fortunately which I once again realize what a blessing that is. I have taken a Kaplan course with great results on practice tests, no such luck on my actual LSAT and in no fashion or reasonable possibility would i ever want to take the LSAT again unless majorly necessary, like not getting into a single school. i did fortunately, so never again. I'm just trying to make the best choice out of bad choices either way.

on a side note, besides not having an a single answer I'm very impressed with this forum and the users. thank you for taking the time and giving me your opinions.

? is English your first language?

He's a Prince. He has some funds, which needs your funds, which wil fund him funding you. World keeps on spinnin.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Why is Nova Southeastern not an option?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:47 pm

flem wrote:Why is Nova Southeastern not an option?

Can't you read? He already got into a clearly superior school (BARRY).

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Instead of mocking I'll try to help you out.

Both schools are very new, which isn't good. Ave Maria, however, apparently is really struggling financially. Reading between the lines I'd say borderline bankrupt. Plus, less than 50% of students passed the FL bar out of Ave Maria, whereas over 70% at Barry did. Also, Barry has a better faculty ratio.

Bottom line, I'd go Barry. It's a little cheaper, has better bar rates, and has better faculty ratio.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”