The End is Nigh?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jas1503

The End is Nigh?

Postby jas1503 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Noticed this article today:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/lawyerbot-lawyer-robots-predictive-coding_n_1637360.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl7|sec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D174663

Lawyerbot is a new program that they're trying to introduce in order to make the average lawyer's mundane tasks easier, but I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news for future Law grads.

In a recent study in the Richmond Journal of Law and Technology, lawyer labor was tested against lawyerbots with predictive coding software. Researchers found "evidence that such technology-assisted processes, while indeed more efficient, can also yield results superior to those of exhaustive manual review." In basic terms, the computers had the humans licked.

Still, with computers taking over tasks formerly done by humans, particular jobs will inevitably be lost. Mike Lynch, the founder of Autonomy, a company that uses "pattern-matching technology" to organize digtial information for clients, told The New York Times he believes the legal sector "will likely employ fewer, not more, people in the U.S. in the future."

Is it officially time to panic?

JamMasterJ

Re: The End is Nigh?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:23 pm

I feel like, if anything, it's going to eliminate the doc review jobs first. This is why shitty schools should go away :lol:

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:34 pm

I'd be pretty pissed if I suspect a robot kept me from that models & bottles life.

The 30-40+% recent, unemployed grads whom are still looking for any type of legal job :(

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:36 pm

jas1503 wrote:
Is it officially time to panic?

Not until a machine can get a conviction or acquittal for people like John Gotti.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:21 pm

The devaluing of labor in our society is a problem with pretty much all jobs in America. If the working classes and middle classes can't/won't unite to stop it, then we must hope that some form of a union/co-operative for consumers forms and uses their collective buying power to "Buy American-Human Made Products".

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:48 am

apollo2015 wrote:The devaluing of labor in our society is a problem with pretty much all jobs in America. If the working classes and middle classes can't/won't unite to stop it, then we must hope that some form of a union/co-operative for consumers forms and uses their collective buying power to "Buy American-Human Made Products".

Economics fail. Technology increases productivity and is a good thing 99% of the time.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:The devaluing of labor in our society is a problem with pretty much all jobs in America. If the working classes and middle classes can't/won't unite to stop it, then we must hope that some form of a union/co-operative for consumers forms and uses their collective buying power to "Buy American-Human Made Products".

Economics fail. Technology increases productivity and is a good thing 99% of the time.

Well, there's an economics fail here all right, but its not in my interpretation of it. (Unless you were being sarcastic.)

If you've taken a microeconomics of international trade course, then you know the difference between trade/technology being "good" for all workers as opposed to it being "really good" for 1% of the people.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Totally agree.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:42 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

Well, there's an economics fail here all right, but its not in my interpretation of it. (Unless you were being sarcastic.)

If you've taken a microeconomics of international trade course, then you know the difference between trade/technology being "good" for all workers as opposed to it being "really good" for 1% of the people.

Makes sense. As JCFindley mentioned, 'elite lawyers' will still be needed to manage things that software can't interpret/ isn't trusted to do.

Everyone else seems screwed here. I'm imagining that firms/employees that make a living doing this kind of mind-numbing work won't be of much use soon.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:18 pm

It is that way across the board though, it really is. Between automation and the "Walmartization" of the US economy it is tough on the middle class.

The military's next generation of fighters and bombers will be flown from a computer terminal thousands of miles behind the lines. What factories we have left in the US use a small fraction of the workers once required. Agriculture is mechanized to a large extent. High tech cameras and the internet have turned everyone with a cell phone into a photo-journalist or fine landscape artist. People read and believe blogs as if they were the New York Times and virtually anyone can be a mommy or daddy blogger. Are you a real housewife, chef, rattlesnake hunter, or just have a name that no one should EVER have heard of but everyone has? Congrats, you to can be a celebrity reality show star!

All this is great for the top 1% and the day laborers will likely never see a change but for everyone else you have to adapt or face the consequences. It's not like this is unique to today's society. It is pretty hard to find a cobbler or silversmith these days and blacksmiths are more of an upper income luxury item to service the expensive horse "hobby." There are literally thousands of careers that have vanished over time.

There are certainly many more that technology will not erase for generations to come. Back to the aviation example, you will not see automated airliners because people won't fly on them and no matter how deep you program there is no way a computer could have replaced Sully in the Hudson landing. There is no way computers will ever replace a skilled litigator; at least no time soon.

As far as the mind numbing stuff it is replacing as we type goes, fine with me. I would rather pull my toenails out one at a time than do any of that.....

JC
Last edited by JCFindley on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:28 pm

This seems bad now.

But new technology sometimes creates the need for MORE employees. For example, before word processors and email, contracts were much shorter, even in the high levels of corporate practice. They just couldn't be very long, since it took a lot of time to type from hand and amend them. After the advent of the word processor, contracts got longer and longer, both because they could easily be amended and could easily be copy/pasted, so lawyers just threw everything from a previous deal in that applied. More lawyers were needed to review those additional pages.

In the same way, email started this doc review boom. Without email, there would be a fraction of the documents available to review since most of those conversations or meetings would be conducted in person or on the phone.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:15 pm

No sweat I read a PT RC section about this kind of stuff and we are straight

Return to “Choosing a Law School”