Ohio State or UNC? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mwoodall29

New

Ohio State or UNC?

Post by mwoodall29 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 pm

So, I had decided on going to OSU (I went there for undergrad as well) with a $10,000 a year scholarship which would make tuition $17k a year. I just got into UNC without scholarship making tuition $34k a year. I know the two schools are very similary ranked, but does one have a better national reputation?

I am considering big law after graduation, and I know that chances for big law at OSU are fairly slim.

Thoughts?

Dr. Review

Gold

Re: Ohio State or UNC?

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Based on COA for both as a non-resident, a 10k/yr scholly gets OSU down to UNC's cost. They're about the same in that regard.

Looking at LST, OSU places a higher percentage in biglaw (14% as opposed to 13%), but UNC places better in DC (8% to 3%), better in clerkships (4.5% to 3.9%, if that's even a statistically significant difference) and generally puts more people into JD required full time long term jobs (68% to 58%).

That said, the biglaw prospects for both are <15%, which is fairly slim. In the much more likely event that biglaw is a swing and a miss, you might want to determine which school places better in your home market, as well as which school is in a market that you would like to practice, if either.

mwoodall29

New

Post by mwoodall29 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm an Ohio resident, so total in tution for OSU would be 17, whereas UNC would be 34. Overall, it's not a huge difference, but a notable one at least. OH is my home market, but I like the idea of working in the South. I have established connections in Columbus, but I think North Carolina could provide similar connections.

I'm just confused haha.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Its double the tuition, so an extra 51k plus interest. NOT WORTH IT. Stay in Ohio.

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Nova wrote:Its double the tuition, so an extra 51k plus interest. NOT WORTH IT. Stay in Ohio.
Nova once again with an excellent post.

Home market school with notable contacts and 50+K less?

It's Buckeye fight song time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Ask UNC for money; if none is offered & you're comfortable practicing in the Ohio region, then the better choice is clear.

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:47 am

mwoodall29 wrote:I'm an Ohio resident, so total in tution for OSU would be 17, whereas UNC would be 34. Overall, it's not a huge difference, but a notable one at least. OH is my home market, but I like the idea of working in the South. I have established connections in Columbus, but I think North Carolina could provide similar connections.

I'm just confused haha.
In the biz we call that "twice the cost". Pretty huge, dude.

Also, as someone who has moved to the South after living elsewhere, this place is not easily infiltrated. People are nice, but they're loyal, and they sure as hell ain't stupid.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:59 am

ilovelawtays wrote: Also, as someone who has moved to the South after living elsewhere, this place is not easily infiltrated. People are nice, but they're loyal, and they sure as hell ain't stupid.
I think we can be friends.

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 am

Bedsole wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote: Also, as someone who has moved to the South after living elsewhere, this place is not easily infiltrated. People are nice, but they're loyal, and they sure as hell ain't stupid.
:)

Also, OP, have you ever been in debt before? Serious question. Debt is crippling, financially and psychologically. Thinking that $51,000.00 vs. $102,000.00 isn't "that big a difference" is pretty crazy. Add another ~$75K for living expenses/travel costs over three years in NC. Pretty striking difference, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Also, OP, have you ever been in debt before? Serious question. Debt is crippling, financially and psychologically. Thinking that $51,000.00 vs. $102,000.00 isn't "that big a difference" is pretty crazy. Add another ~$75K for living expenses/travel costs over three years in NC. Pretty striking difference, right?

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Bedsole wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Instead of merely "living expenses" I should have just said "other expenses". By the time you factor in everything tuition does not include (books, supplies, plane trips home, rent, professional clothing, nights out, convenience food, bigger clothing due to the prior two, and inevitable therapy sessions, etc.) $25K goes pretty quickly.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:29 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:
Instead of merely "living expenses" I should have just said "other expenses". By the time you factor in everything tuition does not include (books, supplies, plane trips home, rent, professional clothing, nights out, convenience food, bigger clothing due to the prior two, and inevitable therapy sessions, etc.) $25K goes pretty quickly.
Don't they only provide somewhere around 15k/yr in CoL loans?

Asst. Principal Bone

New

Post by Asst. Principal Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Skip both options and attend Cooley, I hear it's ranked 11th in the nation young man! Yodoelayheewhoooo...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Bedsole wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:
Don't they only provide somewhere around 15k/yr in CoL loans?
No idea, it's been a while since I took out federal student aid. OP can draw additional loans, though.

ETA: In addition to using credit cards to make up the difference.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:35 pm

even at $15k/year, $45K more debt is still a lot more debt. Go to OU because the COA and the home field advantage. Seriously, don't underestimate all your college connections as they can still be very relevant in law school.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Asst. Principal Bone wrote:Skip both options and attend Cooley, I hear it's ranked 11th in the nation young man! Yodoelayheewhoooo...
You are the most tiresome poster on TLS, and that's saying something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”