Wisconsin or Ohio State - Help!? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TCo2015

New

Wisconsin or Ohio State - Help!?

Post by TCo2015 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Hey all,

I have been accepted and have narrowed my choices down to the Wisconsin Law School and The Ohio State - Mortiz College of Law and am having trouble deciding where to go this Fall. I qualify for in-state tuition at both schools and received enough money from Ohio State to bring the tuition down to just below that of Wisconsin's. I have family in both Wisconsin and Ohio and do not really have a preference as to which state I would prefer to live in following graduation. I graduated from the University of Wisconsin School of Business last May with a degree in Finance, Investments and Banking and hope to practice corporate/securities law. I am not sure if attending law school at the same institution as I did my undergrad is frowned upon in the eyes of prospective employers. Ideally, I would like to get into big law in Chicago but would have no problem living in a smaller city elsewhere in the Midwest. Any help or insight as to which school might have an edge over the other would be greatly appreciated! I have to pay a seat deposit at OSU by Friday if I plan to go there so some timely responses would be great!!

Thanks for your help all!!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Re: Wisconsin or Ohio State - Help!?

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm

If you want to work in securities, you should be targeting NYC, not Chicago. Point's a bit moot though, since neither school will give you a reliable shot at cracking either market.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:If you want to work in securities, you should be targeting NYC, not Chicago. Point's a bit moot though, since neither school will give you a reliable shot at cracking either market.
I read on one of the scam blogs that less than 20 graduates from Ohio State ETA: per graduating class have even received big law offers in recent years.
Last edited by catholicgirl on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:54 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:If you want to work in securities, you should be targeting NYC, not Chicago. Point's a bit moot though, since neither school will give you a reliable shot at cracking either market.
I read on one of the scam blogs that less than 20 graduates from Ohio State even received big law offers.
So you're going off of something you read in an online blog.

OP, I would say Top 5% at OSU may get biglaw.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 pm

In the greater scheme of things it is a small thing, but I like how the Wisconsin Bar waives their exam for graduates of the University of Wisconsin. While I fully suspect (but did not bother to look up) that OSU grads do quite well on bar exams overall, it would be nice to have one less thing to worry about as you are transitioning out of law school.

Of course if you want to work elsewhere, you will likely need to take that states bar exam, but nonetheless it would be nice to have one state in the bag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:17 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
I read on one of the scam blogs that less than 20 graduates from Ohio State even received big law offers.
So you're going off of something you read in an online blog.

OP, I would say Top 5% at OSU may get biglaw.
Based on OSU's class size of 225, my claim that less than 20 people at OSU get biglaw actually matches up with your "only 5% may get biglaw snark" right?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 pm

I took your statement as meaning for ever since you never specified per year. The way it was written kind of suggests that.

But per year you are right and OP should rightfully think twice about OSU or U of W for that matter at anything less then 3/4th scholarship.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Yeah OP, with these schools there is no real "edge" over another. You will be very regionally limited based upon whatever school that you do attend.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:I took your statement as meaning for ever since you never specified per year. The way it was written kind of suggests that.

But per year you are right and OP should rightfully think twice about OSU or U of W for that matter at anything less then 3/4th scholarship.
Yup Yup. Changed to make more clear. Thanks for pointing it out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rowdyrr

New

Post by rowdyrr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 pm

GO TO OHIO! Seriously, Wisconsin sucks. Ohio is amazing. DO NOT GO TO WISCONSIN, I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO WISCONSIN

(full disclosure: I'm on the wait list for Wisconsin :p)

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 pm

This is as easy as choosing where you want to live for the foreseeable future (barring perfect grades, strong connections, and federal district/COA clerkships).

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:26 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:This is as easy as choosing where you want to live for the foreseeable future (barring perfect grades, strong connections, and federal district/COA clerkships).
This. Neither one is likely to project beyond their local region. So, pick a state.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:47 am

Well, there is something to be said for staying somewhere where you have a support network of friends and contacts outside of law school. It would be less of a transition to stay in Wisconsin. But on the other hand, going to OSU opens up your options to another market, and you can always go back to Wisconsin later because you have solid ties there. Have you visited and found which you preferred?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am

Visit both, then decide if equal COA & both locations are equally appealing to you.

Wisconsin's "diploma privilege" for law grads is a significant factor, in my opinion, that should allow you to prepare for and take another state's bar exam. Nevertheless, this comes down to personal preference in your situation.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Visit both, then decide if equal COA & both locations are equally appealing to you.

Wisconsin's "diploma privilege" for law grads is a significant factor, in my opinion, that should allow you to prepare for and take another state's bar exam. Nevertheless, this comes down to personal preference in your situation.
It also makes the Wisconsin version cheaper. I don't know when you actually get sworn in at Wisconsin, but it could allow you to start practicing earlier which means more opportunity costs at OSU. There's also the whole paying for the bar thing.

That said, this probably should just come down to where you prefer to live.

PS It is not true that you need biglaw to do securities work. That's so silly.

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Last edited by sconnielaw13 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Last edited by sconnielaw13 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:25 pm

vlienj24 wrote: I mean really... who comes to OSU OCI? Cincinnati firms? lol
There is always that law firm/women's shoe store as a solid Cincinnati option...

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:18 pm

I'd go Wisconsin.

You'll need great grades to get an out-of-state job out of either of these schools, so look at the in-state options. With Wisconsin you don't have to take the bar and I'd take Milwaukee over any city in Ohio. Plus, less competition for Milwaukee jobs than jobs in Ohio just going off the number of law schools

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”