Does Pacific McGeorge place well in Fresno, CA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ANoor

New

Does Pacific McGeorge place well in Fresno, CA?

Post by ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:38 pm

I've been hearing from people in the Fresno area saying McGeorge places well there. I went to Fresno State University and am considering going to McGeorge because of the reputation it might have in the area. Fresno is not the most desirable place to live, but that should work in my favor.

Thoughts?

goldeneye

Silver

Re: Does Pacific McGeorge place well in Fresno, CA?

Post by goldeneye » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Don't settle for that school. Retake and Ed to UVA

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm

IBTL

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:50 pm

dpk711 wrote:IBTL
Lol

ANoor

New

Post by ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm starting to think everybody on here hates McGeorge lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:53 pm

ANoor wrote:I'm starting to think everybody on here hates McGeorge lol
Many posters on this site do have an aversion to mountains of debt with no job prospects.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm

ANoor wrote:I'm starting to think everybody on here hates McGeorgeTTTs lol

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Many posters on this site do have an aversion to mountains of debt with no job prospects.
The number of posters on this site with an aversion to things like facts, numbers, and evidence are astounding. It's not job placement, it's a conspiracy/vendetta against (insert shit school here).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:56 pm

heeloftar wrote: The number of posters on this site with an aversion to things like facts, numbers, and evidence are astounding. It's not job placement, it's a conspiracy/vendetta against (GeorgeTTTTown).

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 pm

heeloftar wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
The number of posters on this site with an aversion to things like facts, numbers, and evidence are astounding. It's not job placement, it's a conspiracy/vendetta against (insert shit school here).
Can't tell if serious

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:59 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
heeloftar wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Can't tell if serious
I couldnt at first either, but I think they are kidding.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:02 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
heeloftar wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Can't tell if serious
Hah, perhaps I should have inserted quotation marks around the second sentence. People come on here, ask if some TTT/TTTT is a good school, and then argue with whoever tells them it isn't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Depends on what kind of firms. What few medium and large firms there are with offices in Fresno are having their fill on Berkeley/USC/UCLA people. These places hired many top students from tier 2 schools like McGeorge in the past, but not at present.

If you just want to work at a small firm in Fresno, go to the cheapest ABA accredited school you can, and network like crazy with small firm attorneys in Fresno. May not work, but better than blowing a mountain of cash at McGeorge.

ANoor

New

Post by ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Here is the reality of the situation:

I'm 31yrs old and want to make a career change. I want to get into law because it fits my personality and interests. My parents want me to go this year and will help with a lot of the cost if I go now. I went to Fresno State and lived in the central valley for 8years. My fiance got accepted into a nursing program in Sacramento and coincidentally I just found out a childhood friend of mine will also be attending McGeorge. He says he too has heard it places well in Fresno and the central valley. Obviously I would prefer a better school, but given all the circumstances I'm thinking long and hard about attending McGeorge. I figure worst case scenario I end up with a decent job in Fresno and best case I transfer up. Yeah McGeorge may not be the best option, but it may be one that could still work.

I'm sure I'm going to hear a lot of retake or get out of law posts. lol

ANoor

New

Post by ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Mick Haller wrote:Depends on what kind of firms. What few medium and large firms there are with offices in Fresno are having their fill on Berkeley/USC/UCLA people. These places hired many top students from tier 2 schools like McGeorge in the past, but not at present.

If you just want to work at a small firm in Fresno, go to the cheapest ABA accredited school you can, and network like crazy with small firm attorneys in Fresno. May not work, but better than blowing a mountain of cash at McGeorge.

Very solid point.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:09 pm

You're 31 years old and taking orders from your parents?

I mean if your parents are loaded and don't mind making an extremely risky investment on your law school, then I guess why not.

I interviewed with a medium sized firm in Fresno last year. Many of the attorneys I interviewed with were from McGeorge, Santa Clara, etc. and one was from the local CBA school - San Joaquin College of Law. But these people all got hired 3-5 years ago. It's a totally different animal today.

This firm ended up hiring 6 people, I believe 3 or 4 were from Berkeley, and the others were from Hastings or Davis. And the pay was not even that good - 70 or 75k for a mid sized firm is not very high.
Last edited by Mick Haller on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ANoor

New

Post by ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Mick Haller wrote:You're 31 years old and taking orders from your parents?
Haha no, not taking orders, but considering to take their money and advice. They will pay cost of living and half tuition.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 pm

ANoor wrote:I figure worst case scenario I end up unemployed and incredibly unlikely scenario I transfer up.
fixed

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 pm

ANoor wrote:Here is the reality of the situation:

I'm 31yrs old and want to make a career change. I want to get into law because it fits my personality and interests. My parents want me to go this year and will help with a lot of the cost if I go now. I went to Fresno State and lived in the central valley for 8years. My fiance got accepted into a nursing program in Sacramento and coincidentally I just found out a childhood friend of mine will also be attending McGeorge. He says he too has heard it places well in Fresno and the central valley. Obviously I would prefer a better school, but given all the circumstances I'm thinking long and hard about attending McGeorge. I figure worst case scenario I end up with a decent job in Fresno and best case I transfer up. Yeah McGeorge may not be the best option, but it may be one that could still work.

I'm sure I'm going to hear a lot of retake or get out of law posts. lol
except that the "worst case scenario" isn't "a decent job in Fresno." It's more like, no job in Fresno, a wasted three years, and at least (some) debt and lost income.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:14 pm

ANoor wrote:I figure worst case scenario I end up with a decent job in Fresno
No, worst case you end up totally unemployed or working at Starbucks with hideous debt.

Less than half of McGeorge grads get legal jobs at all. 10% of grads get jobs paying $70k or more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I still think retaking is a better option, despite your age. If your parents are willing to fork out so much cash, help them get their money's worth.

GPA/LSAT scores are likely way down at UC Davis. You can probably get in with a 3.6/158 right now. What are your numbers anyway?

ANoor

New

Post by ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:21 pm

At Wilke Fleury in Sacramento 8 of their 30 attorneys are from Pacific, 4 are partners.

ANoor

New

Post by ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Mick Haller wrote:I still think retaking is a better option, despite your age. If your parents are willing to fork out so much cash, help them get their money's worth.

GPA/LSAT scores are likely way down at UC Davis. You can probably get in with a 3.6/158 right now. What are your numbers anyway?
3.3 155 URM (half Mexican)

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:23 pm

ANoor wrote:At Wilke Fleury in Sacramento 8 of their 30 attorneys are from Pacific, 4 are partners.
Again, the job market is completely different today than it was 5+ years ago. Do you really think these firms are hiring Pacific McGeorge grads out of alumnus loyalty? When they can get Berkeley and Davis grads for the same salary?

I assure you from personal experience, they are not.

You're looking at small firm work my friend. Don't blow money on a no-name school like McGeorge. I promise you the name carries almost no prestige and no alumni hiring preference.

Even those McGeorge people that got sweet jobs like that way back then, were at the very top of their classes. You go to McGeorge today and place outside the top 5% of your class, and your resume is an auto-ding. Sorry but it's the harsh reality.

Now if you had some sort of relationship with a prominent figure at one of these firms, it may be different.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”