Feedback needed

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DreDay373
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am

Feedback needed

Postby DreDay373 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 am

I have decided today after considering Law School for the past four years and after taking four classes towards a MBA, that I would rather go to Law school. So here I am.

I am a resident of Ca, this information is important because I have options when considering a law school. Being in Ca I can choose to attend a traditional LS or go distance learning or corresponce course to complete my law degree. All three options I can sit on the Bar once I complete the degree. Another benefit I am presuming is if I go non traditional I have to take the Baby Bar after my first year. In the event I do not pass that I can just go back to continue my MBA.

Three questions...
Would you even consider going to a non traditional Law School?
If you chose non tradtional which one would it be?
Is Law School even worth it employment wise?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Feedback needed

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:04 am

DreDay373 wrote:I have decided today after considering Law School for the past four years and after taking four classes towards a MBA, that I would rather go to Law school. So here I am.

I am a resident of Ca, this information is important because I have options when considering a law school. Being in Ca I can choose to attend a traditional LS or go distance learning or corresponce course to complete my law degree. All three options I can sit on the Bar once I complete the degree. Another benefit I am presuming is if I go non traditional I have to take the Baby Bar after my first year. In the event I do not pass that I can just go back to continue my MBA.

Three questions...
Would you even consider going to a non traditional Law School?
If you chose non tradtional which one would it be?
Is Law School even worth it employment wise?

1. No, never
2. See above
3. The answer to this completely depends on what law school you will be going to and how much debt you will be taking on. However, the answer is a definite, 100% NO if you are planning to attend a non-traditional law school.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Feedback needed

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 am

DreDay373 wrote:Three questions...
Would you even consider going to a non traditional Law School?
If you chose non tradtional which one would it be?
Is Law School even worth it employment wise?


1. No, never.
2. ....
3. Depends on the school/cost of attendance.

GPA/LSAT?

User avatar
Teflon_Jeff
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Feedback needed

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 am

DreDay373 wrote:Would you even consider going to a non traditional Law School?
If you chose non tradtional which one would it be?
Is Law School even worth it employment wise?


Not a chance.
^
Depends.

Distance or correspondence, the return on investment is terrible for anyone wanting to practice law. Prestige matters quite a bit, so unless you have a reason to ignore it, don't.

In regards to when it might be okay, here's a few examples provided recently:
Real Estate agent utilizing education to improve RE business
Businessman doing the same
Lawyer with job waiting for him from local firm. Went TTTT for full-ride, But again, job contract signed before Law School started. Another had a small family firm to return to.

DreDay373
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am

Re: Feedback needed

Postby DreDay373 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 am

Teflon_Jeff wrote:
DreDay373 wrote:Would you even consider going to a non traditional Law School?
If you chose non tradtional which one would it be?
Is Law School even worth it employment wise?


Not a chance.
^
Depends.

Distance or correspondence, the return on investment is terrible for anyone wanting to practice law. Prestige matters quite a bit, so unless you have a reason to ignore it, don't.

In regards to when it might be okay, here's a few examples provided recently:
Real Estate agent utilizing education to improve RE business
Businessman doing the same
Lawyer with job waiting for him from local firm. Went TTTT for full-ride, But again, job contract signed before Law School started. Another had a small family firm to return to.





Funny you say that. Currently I am a realtor. My goal with this Law School is to only become a real estate lawyer. I want to work for a small firm nothing major at all.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Feedback needed

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 am

DreDay373 wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:
DreDay373 wrote:Would you even consider going to a non traditional Law School?
If you chose non tradtional which one would it be?
Is Law School even worth it employment wise?


Not a chance.
^
Depends.

Distance or correspondence, the return on investment is terrible for anyone wanting to practice law. Prestige matters quite a bit, so unless you have a reason to ignore it, don't.

In regards to when it might be okay, here's a few examples provided recently:
Real Estate agent utilizing education to improve RE business
Businessman doing the same
Lawyer with job waiting for him from local firm. Went TTTT for full-ride, But again, job contract signed before Law School started. Another had a small family firm to return to.





Funny you say that. Currently I am a realtor. My goal with this Law School is to only become a real estate lawyer. I want to work for a small firm nothing major at all.


Do you have a particular firm in mind that has promised to hire you? If not, you should not go. If you want the JD simply to supplement your current job or so you personally offer different services to your clients, that's one story. Then you can think about debt, which should be low or preferably non-existent. But you will not be able to use a JD from that type of school to get a new job.

User avatar
Teflon_Jeff
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Feedback needed

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 pm

DreDay373 wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:
DreDay373 wrote:Would you even consider going to a non traditional Law School?
If you chose non tradtional which one would it be?
Is Law School even worth it employment wise?


Not a chance.
^
Depends.

Distance or correspondence, the return on investment is terrible for anyone wanting to practice law. Prestige matters quite a bit, so unless you have a reason to ignore it, don't.

In regards to when it might be okay, here's a few examples provided recently:
Real Estate agent utilizing education to improve RE business
Businessman doing the same
Lawyer with job waiting for him from local firm. Went TTTT for full-ride, But again, job contract signed before Law School started. Another had a small family firm to return to.





Funny you say that. Currently I am a realtor. My goal with this Law School is to only become a real estate lawyer. I want to work for a small firm nothing major at all.


See above. If you are augmenting your existing job, then you're good. Don't expect to get a better/different legal job. The realtor I spoke of never took the bar, never practiced law, just used it to improve his self-owned mid-sized realty firm's services. Unless you have a guaranteed job offer, IN WRITING, this is probably not a great idea.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests