What would you do?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
brando9

What would you do?

Postby brando9 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 am

If I want to end up and practice in Colorado long term, what would serve me better...

UColorado-Boulder or Northwestern?

Thanks!

flem

Re: What would you do?

Postby flem » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 am

Well dood, are you already from Colorado?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 am

Do you have scholarships at either school?

What is the total COA?

Do you have Colorado ties?

What do you want to do in Colorado (biglaw, PI, gov't)?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am

Since you asked what I would do, the answer is Northwestern because going to UColorado without ties wouldn't be smart.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Since you asked what I would do, the answer is Northwestern because going to UColorado without ties wouldn't be smart.

I don't think it's that, since Colorado is not particularly insular insofar I can tell, but the job placement figures are scary.

If you're already from Colorado, go to Northwestern and come back.

If you're NOT from Colorado and you're dead set on working/being in Colorado above all else (including a disctinct possibly being un/underemployed) then go to CU if you understand the risks.

If you're NOT from Colorado and you go to Northwestern and try to get to Colorado, you're gonna have a bad time.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 am

flem wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Since you asked what I would do, the answer is Northwestern because going to UColorado without ties wouldn't be smart.

I don't think it's that, since Colorado is not particularly insular insofar I can tell, but the job placement figures are scary.

If you're already from Colorado, go to Northwestern and come back.

If you're NOT from Colorado and you're dead set on working/being in Colorado above all else (including a disctinct possibly being un/underemployed) then go to CU if you understand the risks.

If you're NOT from Colorado and you go to Northwestern and try to get to Colorado, you're gonna have a bad time.

Yeah, the bolded is what I meant. Nice breakdown though.

brando9

Postby brando9 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Thank you guys for the input so far.

So a little more info, I'm from Chicago and reside here now but graduated from a Colorado university a few years ago. I love Colorado and want to make it back there.

I haven't yet but am going to apply to NU and Colorado, among others.

I'm just curious, if I want to practice in Colorado specifically, which school would have the most pull or influence? (ties and connections aside)

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

brando9 wrote:I haven't yet but am going to apply to NU and Colorado, among others.

:|

You cant just assume you will get into NU. You dont have an LSAT score. We could bullshit about hypothetical situations all day... but its mostly for nothing.

That being said, if I was Colorado or bust, I would go to UC-B with $$$. If I wanted geographic flexibility, NU hands down.
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Nova wrote:
brando9 wrote:I haven't yet but am going to apply to NU and Colorado, among others.

:|

You cant just assume you will get into NU. You dont have an LSAT score. We could bullshit about hypothetical situations all day... but its mostly for nothing.

That being said, if I was are Colorado or bust, I would go to UC-B with $$$. If I wanted geographic flexibility, NU hands down.

Especially if NU would be sticker and Colorado offers a full ride

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55 pm

DAMN, FOOLED BY A HYPOTHETICAL.

brando9

Postby brando9 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't have an LSAT score...would that be classified as an assumption?

Listen, I'm not assuming anything. I'm well aware of how competitive NU is. This Q is purely hypothetical...which may be pointless to some but interesting and informational to me nonetheless.

Thanks to all for the replies. Good stuff!

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:38 pm

flem wrote:you're gonna have a bad time

Do not french fry when you're supposed to pizza

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm

brando9 wrote:I don't have an LSAT score...would that be classified as an assumption?

Listen, I'm not assuming anything. I'm well aware of how competitive NU is. This Q is purely hypothetical...which may be pointless to some but interesting and informational to me nonetheless.

OK, you may have an LSAT score that is no where close to good enough for NU. But Im going off of what YOU said,

Brando9, June 7th 2012 wrote:So, here's my situation. I am currently registered to take the June LSAT and am finishing up a really great prep course and am now wondering what my plan of attack should be.

.... My LSAT diagnostic score was a 156 and I've been steadily improving over the course of my prep course with my most recent score being 164.

.....I know I can improve on RC and get my score to a 170. I am a very diligent worker and put in as much time as I need to achieve a goal.

....So now I have to make the decision of wether I should postpone and take the October LSAT to get that 170 or stay the course and see how I do in June and reevaluate after I get my score.

(1000th post)
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm

brando9 wrote:I don't have an LSAT score...would that be classified as an assumption?

Since we're talking hypothetical, you should go to Yale for your JD and simultaneously obtain a Harvard MBA
That should get you any job you want (except for the 99.99% of jobs for which you will be grossly overqualified)

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:14 pm

http://i.imgur.com/IHz3m.png

brando9

Postby brando9 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Loving the flow chart. Dirty.

In order to figure out if I should post, I need clarification, if you don't mind!

URM?

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:09 pm

brando9 wrote:Loving the flow chart. Dirty.

In order to figure out if I should post, I need clarification, if you don't mind!

URM?

Under Represented Minority (Mexican, Puerto Rican, African American, Native American)

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 pm

brando9 wrote:Loving the flow chart. Dirty.

URM?

Just got to law school numbers bra. All the advice you'll get will probably be from there.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 am

RodneyBoonfield wrote:
flem wrote:you're gonna have a bad time

Do not french fry when you're supposed to pizza

Hahaha I appreciate this.

That is all

Return to “Choosing a Law School”