Ok to go to low ranking school if going solo?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flem

Re: Ok to go to low ranking school if going solo?

Postby flem » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 am

reformed calvinist wrote:Re malpractice-I'd rather risk that and wash out of law than spend the next decade in dead end doc review gigs. No shame in paying the bills, but I'd rather just surrender my license and do something else.

I mean, yeah. If your options are doc review or hang a shingle, I'm hanging a shingle 10 times out of 10. That doesn't mean it's A) a great idea, or B) I'm somehow less fucked.

But once you have that doc review stench on your resume, no one will touch you. At least going solo you have a fighting chance. Also, to be fair, I think a lot of dudes who do doc review are also aspiring solo practitioners and they do doc review to stay afloat.

reformed calvinist

Re: Ok to go to low ranking school if going solo?

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 am

flem wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:Re malpractice-I'd rather risk that and wash out of law than spend the next decade in dead end doc review gigs. No shame in paying the bills, but I'd rather just surrender my license and do something else.

I mean, yeah. If your options are doc review or hang a shingle, I'm hanging a shingle 10 times out of 10. That doesn't mean it's A) a great idea, or B) I'm somehow less fucked.

But once you have that doc review stench on your resume, no one will touch you. At least going solo you have a fighting chance. Also, to be fair, I think a lot of dudes who do doc review are also aspiring solo practitioners and they do doc review to stay afloat.

I agree. It's easy for me to say "I would never do that" up here in my ivory tower of gubmint-subsidized living. But honestly, I would sooner join my cousin's woodshop (which, honestly, seems pretty cool). I don't even care *what* I do, it's just the no-room for advancement eats at your soul. Even in retail you can work your way into management (not an MTal alt, I swear).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”