UChi w/ $30k v. GULC w/ $75k

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
luxxe

UChi w/ $30k v. GULC w/ $75k

Postby luxxe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Got off the WL at Chicago last week with $30k scholarship, GULC increased my scholarship to $75k today.

100% set on doing policy work in DC & have paid both deposits at GULC.

Thoughts?
Last edited by luxxe on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Re: UChi w/ $30k v. GULC w/ $75k

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:51 pm

From what I remember, Chicago's LRAP is pretty fucking sweet. How does Georgetown compare?

Also, Chicago. You can spend both of your summers interning in DC to get the networking and line up post-graduation jobs in DC if you want them.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:From what I remember, Chicago's LRAP is pretty fucking sweet. How does Georgetown compare?

Also, Chicago. You can spend both of your summers interning in DC to get the networking and line up post-graduation jobs in DC if you want them.

GULC's has a lower salary cap ($75k at GULC v. $80k at Chi), Chicago covers clerkships/GULC doesn't.

Since I do want to go into policy work, I feel like Chicago is the better choice... I have just gotten really invested (both financially and mentally) in GULC.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:05 pm

I hope whichever school that you attempt to withdraw from substantially boosts your scholarship offer. Chicago's throwing Rubensteins at people who try to withdraw, and Georgetown's burying people in cash.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

luxxe wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:From what I remember, Chicago's LRAP is pretty fucking sweet. How does Georgetown compare?

GULC's has a lower salary cap ($75k at GULC v. $80k at Chi), Chicago covers clerkships/GULC doesn't.

Since I do want to go into policy work, I feel like Chicago is the better choice... I have just gotten really invested (both financially and mentally) in GULC.

However much those deposits were, it's nothing in the long run... Just think of it as Chicago offered you $29,000 instead of $30,000. I've got no clue how the two schools would compare for your particular interests, but I hope to see you in Hyde Park in September.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Kurst wrote:I hope whichever school that you attempt to withdraw from substantially boosts your scholarship offer. Chicago's throwing Rubensteins at people who try to withdraw, and Georgetown's burying people in cash.

Not people with my LSAT, haha. GULC increased my offer substantially today when I told them about my Chicago acceptance/scholarship.

Yesterday I was 1000% invested in GULC, and now I'm thinking I can't turn down Chicago.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Kurst wrote:I hope whichever school that you attempt to withdraw from substantially boosts your scholarship offer. Chicago's throwing Rubensteins at people who try to withdraw, and Georgetown's burying people in cash.

There's a lot of outside factors that go into something like that. Just a few posts after that one someone says they withdrew from Chicago and they weren't offered anything, their application was simply withdrawn. One person being offered a Ruby doesn't mean a whole lot of anything. That person might have had a spectacular application (which I'm gonna go ahead and assume they did if they were offered a Ruby). Until we have a couple of people who have been offered money when they try and withdraw we should refrain from reading too far into this one instance.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:12 pm

luxxe wrote:

Not people with my LSAT, haha. GULC increased my offer substantially today when I told them about my Chicago acceptance/scholarship.

Yesterday I was 1000% invested in GULC, and now I'm thinking I can't turn down Chicago.

I think you would be crazy to turn down Chi for 45k more, a lot of uncertainties going to GULC with that huge class size. congrats on the acceptances and goodluck! :D

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:22 pm

That is not nearly enough additional money from GULC to even consider picking it over Chicago.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:49 pm

luxxe wrote:

See if Chicago can throw some more money your way. I doubt it since Georgetown isn't really in their league, but still possible.

I really think Chicago is TCR here.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Just got a job offer with the Obama campaign, Dean Perry said she would not let me defer.

Lol woops. Probably going to retake and reapply now.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:58 pm

luxxe wrote:Just got a job offer with the Obama campaign, Dean Perry said she would not let me defer.

Congrats. Have fun in Chicago for the next 6 months!

Word from the wise: Get Red Bull in IV drip form, breh.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
luxxe wrote:Just got a job offer with the Obama campaign, Dean Perry said she would not let me defer.

Field organizer in Florida..... way more fun!!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:11 pm

You're an Obama supporter?

I think Georgetown is a great offer and you should definitely go there.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:11 pm

I'd go to Chicago over working the presidential election. This is one of the best cycles to apply in.

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:51 pm

noleknight16 wrote:I'd go to Chicago over working the presidential election. This is one of the best cycles to apply in.

This. You are unlikely to get these kinds of offers again.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... &thepage=1

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:I'd go to Chicago over working the presidential election. This is one of the best cycles to apply in.

And it's just a field organizer position. I know people who had that job for Obama in 2008 and they're not exactly swimming in opportunity now.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:

And it's just a field organizer position. I know people who had that job for Obama in 2008 and they're not exactly swimming in opportunity now.

Plus won't she want the opportunity to have him as a professor her 2&3L years when he rejoins the faculty as UChi law?

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Go to Chicago. You will get your choice of summer internships in D.C. coming out of that school. Furthermore, you leave the door open to academia or other prestigious positions that you may not have access to coming out of GULC. Lastly, you can always be a visiting student at GULC during 2L or 3L year to pad your network prior to moving out there. It's easier to walk downhill than to climb uphill.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:You're an Obama supporter?

I think Georgetown is a great offer and you should definitely go there.

LOL'd

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Chi-town. Even with $75k, GULC will still cost nearly $200k. That's a lot of money for a school that barely gets 1/3 of its class into biglaw, which you'll need to repay that substantial chunk of change. This isn't a close call.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:03 pm

One thing to consider when comparing UChicagos and GULCs LRAPs, is that Chicago has a hard 80,000 cap, while Gtown has a soft 75,000 cap...so basically once your salary gets over 80,000 from Chicago, I believe you wouldn't qualify for benefits...at Gtown though, you would still get benefits even if your salary is over 75,00 but just at increasingly reduced rates...If you're working for the government or something, its very likely that your salary would go over 80,000 in the course of 10 years, in which case Chicago's LRAP would not be useful, and Gtown's LRAP would be much better (this is from what I've gathered anyways)...Of course, with enrolling in the IBR program, you are certainly taking a risk that it will stick around, etc., for the next 13 years...chicago is more prestigious than gulc in general, and im sure ppl can get policy work out of there as well, but i think gtown+your desired line of work+its pretty sweet LRAP program is not a bad choice either...from what ive gathered, unlike in big law, while in public interest/govt/policy work, ur grades and how prestigious your school is certainly important, the relevant work experience that you have for a position is equally (and probably more) important...At Gtown, you could gain that relevant experience during the year, while at Chicago it might be a bit more difficult...maybe you could do some part-time sort of work for Obama campaign during the school year?..as a field organizer wouldnt the bulk of ur work end in November anyways?

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:

I'm for Chicago and I'd say to go this year as well, but I don't see any reason that admissions offices will pump the breaks for next year. Applicants are still down (along with LSAT takers and such), so the next year or two will likely be good as well. If anything, schools that lose their medians may have to throw more money at the problem next cycle.

Of course it could be the opposite, and schools may just say hell with the old medians because they're dropping everywhere, but my guess is that takes a year or two to happen and 2012-13 will be just as good as this past cycle.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:

Plus won't she want the opportunity to have him as a professor her 2&3L years when he rejoins the faculty as UChi law?

I lol'd.

I'm going to retake the LSAT after the election, won't be reapplying with the same numbers. Should have done that anyway.... hopefully I'll have a much different cycle if I actually break 170.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04 pm

luxxe wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Field organizer in Florida..... way more fun!!

Oh. Field organizer.

There isn't enough money in the world...

Also, I'd still consider Chicago for this year. That's your call though. Field organizers aren't exactly the first ones paid off when the jobs come in DC after the campaign...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”