UW vs GW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

University of Washington or George Washington

UW with in state tuition
72%
GW with maybe some aid, but probably not
28%

Total votes: 29

wisbey

New

UW vs GW

Post by wisbey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:46 am

I'm trying to figure out where I want to live a major portion of my life. I have been accepted off of the waitlist at both the University of Washington and George Washington University and I am trying to figure out where I would have the best chances of getting a decent job and being happy.

I qualify for in state tuition at UW and I have a suspicion that I will most likely be paying close to sticker at GW. I have lived in both Seattle and DC and I love them both so that is a toss up. I have decent networks in both cities for jobs after school and I have an MA in international law and public policy and would like to study and then work in that field after school. Both schools are ranked 20th and I am able to see a lot of positives and negatives with both schools.

What should I do?

I'm currently negotiating with both for more money and will update when I know final cost.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: UW vs GW

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 am

GW isn't worth sticker.

Enjoy the University of Washington with in state tuition.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:GW isn't worth sticker.

Neither are worth sticker, in state or otherwise. OP, UW grads have a 25% (LinkRemoved) un/underemployment rate and only roughly half get legal jobs. Very few get jobs that can service $160k in debt.

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:03 am

UW in -state is the better deal, but neither is amazing.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:59 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:

Neither are worth sticker, in state or otherwise. OP, UW grads have a 25% (LinkRemoved) un/underemployment rate and only roughly half get legal jobs. Very few get jobs that can service $160k in debt.
True, but 99% of people that post a this or that law school comparison on this site end up picking one or the other instead of retaking or waiting a cycle. Assuming that that is true, then U of W is certainly a better option than Gdubs. Is it a good option? The only good options are HYSCCP, non-HYSCCP (non G) T14s with half scholarships, and strong regional schools with 75%-100% scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

True, but 99% of people that post a this or that law school comparison on this site end up picking one or the other instead of retaking or waiting a cycle. Assuming that that is true, then U of W is certainly a better option than Gdubs. Is it a good option? The only good options are HYSCCP, non-HYSCCP (non G) T14s with half scholarships, and strong regional schools with 75%-100% scholarships.
And let me guess: one of the "c"'s is Cornell?

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:39 pm

If GW is still in the running, try to negotiate more scholarship. It is a buyer's (student) market. Applications and enrollment are down. They want your attendance. Whatever little in tuition you actually pay is better than not filling that seat for the semester.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:47 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

And let me guess: one of the "c"'s is Cornell?
Chicago and Columbia. Chicago recently had a bad year, but it's traditionally up there with Columbia and Penn.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

True, but 99% of people that post a this or that law school comparison on this site end up picking one or the other instead of retaking or waiting a cycle. Assuming that that is true, then U of W is certainly a better option than Gdubs.
You didn't paint it as a good option relative to GW, you just told OP to "enjoy UW." That sort of implies he should do it. Claiming its a "better" option is analogous to saying its better to be punched in the face than the balls.
Is it a good option? The only good options are HYSCCP, non-HYSCCP (non G) T14s with half scholarships, and strong regional schools with 75%-100% scholarships.
Even as someone who is pretty risk adverse, this is absurdly conservative. You're really arguing that MVBDNC with say, 60k isn't a good bet?

Nice anti-NYU trolling btw

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Easy. Just go to the higher ranked school. :D

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:38 pm

OP: Reapply next cycle. Consider retaking the LSAT as well. Next cycle will see a further decrease in applications & an increase in scholarship offers.

To which other law schools did you apply this cycle ?

Care to share your numbers ?

P.S. Just read your profile. 163/4.0 & you applied to odd schools. You should be able to do much better. I understand your mindset, however, since you were initially waitlisted by both GWU & UW.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 pm

I didn't go through the deeper analysis because I thought it would be futile.

I suppose it can be called anti-NYU trolling, but I don't ever remember a time when NYU outperformed Penn.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote: P.S. Just read your profile. 163/4.0 & you applied to odd schools. You should be able to do much better. I understand your mindset, however, since you were initially waitlisted by both GWU & UW.
Oh for fucks sake OP has a 4.0 why are we having this discussion.

Retake or die in a fire.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:08 pm

You're probably not gonna get a jerb in intl law and public policy. HTH.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Retake. Hit median and enjoy $$.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Reapply next cycle. Consider retaking the LSAT as well. Next cycle will see a further decrease in applications & an increase in scholarship offers.

To which other law schools did you apply this cycle ?

Care to share your numbers ?

P.S. Just read your profile. 163/4.0 & you applied to odd schools. You should be able to do much better. I understand your mindset, however, since you were initially waitlisted by both GWU & UW.
Op: Please listen to this good advice. Your life will be much better for it.

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote: P.S. Just read your profile. 163/4.0 & you applied to odd schools. You should be able to do much better. I understand your mindset, however, since you were initially waitlisted by both GWU & UW.
Oh for fucks sake OP has a 4.0 why are we having this discussion.

Retake or die in a fire.
If you think you can do better round two. Just look at it as getting paid $Scholly for the year you took to study and reapply. If you've taken it a couple times already or studied extensively and outperformed PTs, then it is what it is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschool?s

New

Post by lawschool?s » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:12 am

If you don't retake, I think UW is not a bad option.

Tuition is only like 26k a year which is pretty reasonable esspecially for the best school in the entire Northwest (Hawaii?, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana).

I am attending a lower t14 at sticker and had a rough time choosing it over UW instate/some other Pac-12 schools with schollys.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 am

lawschool?s wrote:If you don't retake, I think UW is not a bad option.

Tuition is only like 26k a year which is pretty reasonable esspecially for the best school in the entire Northwest (Hawaii?, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana).
Sure has pretty awful placement despite dominating the Northwest "market". And tuition isn't as insane as some schools but even in-state will cost you well over $160k. (LinkRemoved) Thats way more than I'm willing to pay for a 52% shot at gaining full-time legal employment.
I am attending a lower t14 at sticker and had a rough time choosing it over UW instate/some other Pac-12 schools with schollys.
Unless you're at GULC, that should not have been a tough decision.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

Blatant anti-NYU trolling.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”