Cleveland State v OSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tonymontana45

Cleveland State v OSU

Postby tonymontana45 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm trying to make a decision. I currently live in Cleveland. Went to Undergrad in Columbus. I got accepted into OSU the other day and am having trouble making a decision. Cleveland State will cost considerately less because I can live at home. Both are around the same tuition. Living would be the only difference. I'm pulled to CSU by the price and the fact it would be easier to excel there then at OSU and I wouldn't mind living in Clv for a little. In the end, I want to leave Ohio but only after a few years, after paying off some debt.

Any advice, I want to hear from someone who isn't family/friends.

Nova

Re: Cleveland State v OSU

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:11 pm

OSU by far. Going to your state's flagship school will definitely open up many more doors. IMO, It is definitely worth the 45k in COL

LST;Cleveland wrote:•50.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..

LST;OSU wrote:•58.4% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Nova wrote:OSU by far. Going to your state's flagship school will definitely open up many more doors. IMO, It is definitely worth the 45k in COL

LST;Cleveland wrote:•50.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..

LST;OSU wrote:•58.4% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Based on LST, neither school is worth going to at sticker, even at the in-state price.

In the end, I want to leave Ohio

Then do not attend either of these schools.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:58 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
1.Based on LST, neither school is worth going to at sticker, even at the in-state price.

In the end, I want to leave Ohio

2.Then do not attend either of these schools.

1. I agree. IMO, attending OSU for over 20k tuition per year would be unwise. Paying that much at Cleveland would be a really bad move.

2. I skimmed over that. Yeah, I agree with you there too. If OP isnt ok with living in Ohio long term, then OSU is not TCR.

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Might have misspoke. I do want to practice in Ohio and for a while. However, I like the idea of practicing outside at some point. Between the two, OSU send more nationally. Using that site over 30% are employed elsewhere. There is also a reason they are ranked in top 40.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:39 am

tonymontana45 wrote:Might have misspoke. I do want to practice in Ohio and for a while. However, I like the idea of practicing outside at some point. Between the two, OSU send more nationally. Using that site over 30% are employed elsewhere. There is also a reason they are ranked in top 40.

Everyone understood what you were saying. Your odds of practicing law outside of Ohio, especially in more coveted markets, with a degree from either of those two schools are low. And Ohio State's top-40 ranking in USNWR is really meaningless. In Ohio, OSU is right up there with the top schools; outside of Ohio, it will obviously be behind the top schools for people doing legal hiring, but it will also be behind local/regional law schools that might rank much lower in USNWR. If you are certain that you will want to leave Ohio, especially for places a majority would consider more desirable, then you should not go to either of these law schools.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:48 am

I'd pick OSU. If you need to save on living costs, you could be creative. Many older people need live-in caretakers and will provide free room and board (and sometimes a stipend) in exchange for care. Same thing for being a live-in nanny. Or you could apply to be a RA in the dorms.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:58 pm

tonymontana45 wrote:I'm pulled to CSU by the price and the fact it would be easier to excel there then at OSU and I wouldn't mind living in Clv for a little.

You can't make this assumption. If anything it might be marginally easier at CSU, but being in the top 45% of your class as opposed to the top 50% is still a crappy place to be.

tonymontana45 wrote:In the end, I want to leave Ohio but only after a few years, after paying off some debt.

It is unlikely you will be able to do this. The jobs you will get out of these two schools will mostly involve matters dealing with Ohio law and most of your clients will be Ohioans or Ohio companies. Your substantive experience is not going to be transferable even if you can automatically waive into another jurisdiction, nor will you have a client base.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”