Law and Religion: Best school? job prospects?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tom Joad

Re: Law and Religion: Best school? job prospects?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:Not usually a big fan of how she looks, but looks good there, would smang.

Zetts could give you a primer on Taylor smanging fantasies.

ETA: foreward by Tom Joad.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Swift looks like an alien.

Not really into that shit except for the lulz.

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
need2know2much wrote:Thanks for all of the input. I kind of figured all this to be the case, that's why I asked to make sure.

That is, at least thanks to most except for the deliberately unhelpful addition:
Tom Joad wrote:If you pray will your student loans go away?

And, to answer this question, I would have to say that I don't know and neither do you.

Yo, I am real happy for the recognition, but I would have to say fleming had the most unhelpful post in this thread.
flem wrote:I heard the Catholic church needs some defense attorneys for some specific allegations, so consider Notre Dame

Ha. Although that post was sarcastic, it is true and somewhat more helpful with respect to the topic at hand.

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 pm

flem wrote:
need2know2much wrote:And, to answer this question, I would have to say that I don't know and neither do you.

SO YOU'RE SAYIN THERE'S A CHANCE

Are you saying that there is not? Enlighten me OH wise one whom obviously knows so much.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance." --Socrates

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Did you just quote Socrates?

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Verity wrote:Did you just quote Socrates?

Obviously I did, hence the the word "Socrates" after the sentence in quotations. Is that against the rules or are you really trying to clarify?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:51 pm

need2know2much wrote:
flem wrote:
need2know2much wrote:And, to answer this question, I would have to say that I don't know and neither do you.

Are you saying that there is not? Enlighten me OH wise one whom obviously knows so much.

If God pays your student loans off for you let me know and I will start praying too

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

You could try to become a Catholic cannon lawyer. Sounds god-awful to me and I don't know exactly what it entails but it does exist.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:If God pays your student loans off for you let me know and I will start praying too
Better get movin buddy :lol:

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
need2know2much wrote:
flem wrote:

If God pays your student loans off for you let me know and I will start praying too

Will do, but that is not what you should be praying for anyhow.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 pm

need2know2much wrote:I am interested in law and religion, but I am not sure what that could look like career-wise after law school. Does anyone have any information on what options there would be for this?

Also, assuming I do go in this direction, are their particular law schools that would be better to go? I saw that Emory had a center for law and religion but is there something similar in the top twenty schools? I am interested in constitutional law also so I would like to mesh these interests. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help.

There's some money in pro-life campaigning and shit like that

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 pm

need2know2much wrote:

Obviously I did, hence the the word "Socrates" after the sentence in quotations. Is that against the rules or are you really trying to clarify?

Just trying to clarify. Thank you. I can see clearly now, the rain is gone. Bright, sun-shiny day.

BTW, funny how philosophy-major "i know nothing" grads are always trying to enlighten others with all they don't know.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:27 pm

There is one Holy Father who could make my loans disappear. I had better help him trim the bushes tomorrow morning.

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:14 am

Verity wrote:
need2know2much wrote:

Just trying to clarify. Thank you. I can see clearly now, the rain is gone. Bright, sun-shiny day.

BTW, funny how philosophy-major "i know nothing" grads are always trying to enlighten others with all they don't know.

All I did was answer a question, right? I'm not trying to enlighten anyone now am I? Sorry if my degree rubs you the wrong way. Perhaps I should get my head out of the sky and come back down to the cave where it is nice and safe.

hdivschool

Postby hdivschool » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:06 pm

This is a niche field, but there are scholars working in it at most top law schools. I'd recommend UVA (assuming Laycock stays), Duke, and Notre Dame as offering the best combo of professors/coursework/job prospects for your numbers. Emory has an interesting program, but I don't know much about their students' job prospects.

Depending on your religion and ideology, there are many non-profits that work in these areas. There are also other legal fields where law and religion issues occasionally arise (e.g. employment law).

briefcase

Postby briefcase » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been searching for the same thing--religion and law. I'll share what I've found. And I'm interested in other people's comments on these findings.

I've found at least two practice areas: religious liberty law, and religious institutions law.

Stanford has just begun the first Religious Liberty Clinic. I don't know enough of what that indicates. But it doesn't seem to suggest the interest is old or fading.

Two law firms I've found specializing in this area are: The Becket Fund, and Rothgerber Johnson & Lyons. There may be many others.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:06 pm

briefcase wrote:Thanks for starting this thread. I've been searching for the same thing--religion and law. I'll share what I've found. And I'm interested in other people's comments on these findings.

I've found at least two practice areas: religious liberty law, and religious institutions law.

Stanford has just begun the first Religious Liberty Clinic. I don't know enough of what that indicates. But it doesn't seem to suggest the interest is old or fading.

Two law firms I've found specializing in this area are: The Becket Fund, and Rothgerber Johnson & Lyons. There may be many others.

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:24 pm

briefcase wrote:Thanks for starting this thread. I've been searching for the same thing--religion and law. I'll share what I've found. And I'm interested in other people's comments on these findings.

Thanks for the info. This is very helpful.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Pray to the deity of your choice that you will get a legal job in this "field" rather than merely having a lulzy "specialization" that will confuse hiring people.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:17 pm

this guy is a religious lawyer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Paprocki

read about him joining priesthood, getting jd, and then learning canon law at the vatican.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 pm

mattviphky wrote:this guy is a religious lawyer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Paprocki

read about him joining priesthood, getting jd, and then learning canon law at the vatican.

Hey look rad, a new take on BIGCANONLAW

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
mattviphky wrote:this guy is a religious lawyer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Paprocki

I predict this wikipedia page will prove once and for all the jerbs in the cast and growing field of CANONLAW

Also they call my wang the BIGCANNON

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I predict this wikipedia page will prove once and for all the jerbs in the cast and growing field of CANONLAW

I just want OP to know I did my SA at the Vatican, took the vow, got no offered. FUARK
Last edited by Ruxin1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Tom Joad wrote:There is one Holy Father who could make my loans disappear. I had better help him trim the bushes tomorrow morning.

legit LOL'd

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I just want OP to know I did my SA at the Vatican, took the vow, got no offered. FUARK

lol

Return to “Choosing a Law School”