Law and Religion: Best school? job prospects?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
need2know2much

Law and Religion: Best school? job prospects?

Postby need2know2much » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 am

I am interested in law and religion, but I am not sure what that could look like career-wise after law school. Does anyone have any information on what options there would be for this?

Also, assuming I do go in this direction, are their particular law schools that would be better to go? I saw that Emory had a center for law and religion but is there something similar in the top twenty schools? I am interested in constitutional law also so I would like to mesh these interests. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help.

cinephile

Re: Law and Religion: Best school? job prospects?

Postby cinephile » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 am

You probably need a more concrete plan on what you intend to do afterward. If you intend to minister to the poor, go to school wherever you can get a full-ride. If you intend to work as a lawyer, ideally you should shoot for a T14.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 am

Agree w above poaster, you need to come up with a plan for how you're gonna get a job, because "I'm interested in con law and religion" is not a plan.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:28 am

Get a PhD in religion with a focus in empirical work from a top program, then go to Yale for law school, then flip 5 coins. If all five turn up heads, then you can get a tenure track position. I can't think of many other ways to find any sort of employment that has anything to do with law and religion.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:10 am

It sounds like you might be more interested in a PhD in, say, political theory or social thought. Is there a particular religious tradition you're looking to study/work from?

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:16 am

need2know2much wrote:I am interested in law and religion, but I am not sure what that could look like career-wise after law school. Does anyone have any information on what options there would be for this?

Also, assuming I do go in this direction, are their particular law schools that would be better to go? I saw that Emory had a center for law and religion but is there something similar in the top twenty schools? I am interested in constitutional law also so I would like to mesh these interests. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help.

I don't even know where to begin.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:21 am

Most top law schools have a center for law and religion or law and the first amendment or something. It means jack shit and is just nice bonus for a professor or two.

What exactly do you want to do that involves "law and religion."

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:52 am

obvious choice is vandy. carol swain is a true scholar. one of the few black white supremacists in the game.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:03 am

agree with above posters. have a plan. and hedge it with another plan. and save money along the way.

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 am

Consult the Talmud.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:36 am

fatduck wrote:obvious choice is vandy. carol swain is a true scholar. one of the few black white supremacists in the game.

The female version of:

--ImageRemoved--

???

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Just do Fordham JD, followed by law and religion thesis at NYU Gallatin School of Individualized Study, and eventually get published, bro.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:34 pm

What religion?
Several law schools are religion based and several have courses related to religion.

If you're Jewish or Mormon, the easy answers are Cardizo and BYU
Catholic or Protestant there are many more to choose from.

Also, think seriously about what you want to do. There are opportunities to blend religion and law (civil rights/discrimination being the most obvious), but you need a clear idea going in, do you can target your school choices and career track accordingly.

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:53 pm

dingbat wrote:What religion?
Several law schools are religion based and several have courses related to religion.

Also, think seriously about what you want to do. There are opportunities to blend religion and law (civil rights/discrimination being the most obvious), but you need a clear idea going in, do you can target your school choices and career track accordingly.

Christianity in particular. I have a 3.4 GPA (with my last 3 years an average of a 3.7) and a 163 LSAT, but I am retaking the LSAT's this fall and have been getting mid 170's so I think I have a shot at the top twenty schools and would like to go to one if I get the opportunity. I like the idea of Civil Rights as i have just taken a class on it and it really interested me.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:55 pm

need2know2much wrote:

Christianity in particular. I have a 3.4 GPA (with my last 3 years an average of a 3.7) and a 163 LSAT, but I am retaking the LSAT's this fall and have been getting mid 170's so I think I have a shot at the top twenty schools and would like to go to one if I get the opportunity. I like the idea of Civil Rights as i have just taken a class on it and it really interested me.

i know christianity is a fairly conservative religion, but i think you're several decades behind the times here.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 pm

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 pm

fatduck wrote:
need2know2much wrote:

i know christianity is a fairly conservative religion, but i think you're several decades nearly 2 millenia behind the times here.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Yale, then Harvard and Stanford, followed by CCN, then MVPB.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:04 pm

If you pray will your student loans go away?

for10s88

Postby for10s88 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:43 pm

There are very few people who "practice constitutional law" in the whole country. There are general litigators who will deal with constitutional issues occasionally. You're not going to find any firm saying "Hey, we need a law and religion expert on our team!" No.

But it sounds like you want to be a professor, and you should really understand that academia is nearly impossible to get into. You'll need to go to Yale and do well or go to Harvard, Chicago, or Stanford and do really, really well. And have amazing luck.

Otherwise, be content with taking interesting classes in law school and then doing things for the rest of your life that have nothing to do with religion.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:18 pm

I heard the Catholic church needs some defense attorneys for some specific allegations, so consider Notre Dame

need2know2much

Postby need2know2much » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for all of the input. I kind of figured all this to be the case, that's why I asked to make sure.

That is, at least thanks to most except for the deliberately unhelpful addition:
Tom Joad wrote:If you pray will your student loans go away?

And, to answer this question, I would have to say that I don't know and neither do you.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 pm

need2know2much wrote:And, to answer this question, I would have to say that I don't know and neither do you.

SO YOU'RE SAYIN THERE'S A CHANCE

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:33 pm

need2know2much wrote:Thanks for all of the input. I kind of figured all this to be the case, that's why I asked to make sure.

That is, at least thanks to most except for the deliberately unhelpful addition:
Tom Joad wrote:If you pray will your student loans go away?

And, to answer this question, I would have to say that I don't know and neither do you.

Yo, I am real happy for the recognition, but I would have to say fleming had the most unhelpful post in this thread.
flem wrote:I heard the Catholic church needs some defense attorneys for some specific allegations, so consider Notre Dame

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Not usually a big fan of how she looks, but looks good there, would smang.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”