Brooklyn Law Part-time vs. St. John's Full-Time. HELP! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hova

New

Brooklyn Law Part-time vs. St. John's Full-Time. HELP!

Post by Hova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey everyone,

Just yesterday St. John's notified me that I was off waitlist and accepted into their full-time program. I was ecstatic because I was pretty much set on attending Hofstra. But just today, Brooklyn told me I was accepted into their part-time program (I applied PT because with my numbers, I thought I had no chance at brooklyn).

Assuming money isn't an issue, what is the better decision in my situation? I know that BLS is a higher-ranked and much more reputable school than STJ but how will going PT affect me? I always assumed I would graduate law school in 3 years, is it still possible to graduate on time? Also, do any of you guys know whats the policy for part-time students transferring to full-time like? Any helpful input would be appreciated, thanks.

locthebloke

New

Re: Brooklyn Law Part-time vs. St. John's Full-Time. HELP!

Post by locthebloke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Don't attend any of these schools, even if money is not an issue like you say. How do you expect to compete with NYU, Columbia and Cornell grads-- not to mention Yale, Penn, and Harvard grads, who are all just around the block from NY and feed heavily into the cosmically over-saturated NY law market??

Maybe it's true money isn't an issue. Don't know if it's mom and dad or scholarship (doubt that given what you've described) That still doesn't make law school a worthwhile pursuit in your situation! Don't waste the folks money. Don't waste your time!! There are tons of smarter, more profitable, more rewarding things you can do with 3 years of your life than earning a piece of paper that is literally (if you attend those schools) good for little, and will even close doors on other employment opportunities!! If, however, you can't be talked out of it (and I suspect you can't) consider re-taking or going to CUNY law school. Tuition there is at least only $12,000 or so per year for in-state.
Last edited by locthebloke on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scotchandsoda

New

Post by Scotchandsoda » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 pm

locthebloke wrote:Don't attend any of these schools. They are all incredibly poor choices to be honest. Suicidal with no kind of guaranteed scholarship. How do you expect to compete with NYU, Columbia and Cornell grads-- not to mention Yale, Penn, and Harvard grads, who are all just around the block from NY and feed heavily into the cosmically over-saturated NY law market.

There are tons of smarter, more profitable, more rewarding things you can do with 3 years of your life than go to law school. If, however, you can't be talked out of it (and I suspect you can't) consider re-taking or going to CUNY law school. Tuition is only $12,000 or so per year for in-state.
+1 for the brutal honesty.

Lokethebloke is actually right. Unless you're getting a sizeable amount of money these schools at sticker is just not worth it. What are your numbers? Any chance of retaking the LSATS?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:00 pm

You'd be pretty stupid to go to these schools unless you got a full tuition scholarship, and maybe even then too.

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 pm

CUNY is the only law school in New York not named Cornell, Columbia or NYU that I wouldn't consider a criminal organization. Their tuition is very cheap (relatively), and they're pretty upfront about being nothing but a school for Public Interest Lawyers and that's it. They don't tell you you can make six figures and work NY Biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hova

New

Post by Hova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks for the comments... but you guys haven't really helped me. I'm attending no matter what, its just a choice between BLS pt or STJ ft. Can we please move away from how law school is robbing me and the other poor students attending these schools. I'm aware of the employment situation and tuition costs but what I don't know is the pros and cons of the full-time program and the part-time program of these two schools. I would REALLY appreciate some input on what part-time law school is like. I always thought I would be doing this full-time but things change.

dudeimsocool

New

Post by dudeimsocool » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 pm

neither?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Hova wrote:Thanks for the comments... but you guys haven't really helped me. I'm attending no matter what, its just a choice between BLS pt or STJ ft. Can we please move away from how law school is robbing me and the other poor students attending these schools. I'm aware of the employment situation and tuition costs but what I don't know is the pros and cons of the full-time program and the part-time program of these two schools. I would REALLY appreciate some input on what part-time law school is like. I always thought I would be doing this full-time but things change.
Your inquiry is the law school equivalent of "I have already decided I want someone to hit me with a bat. Should I get hit in the face or nads?"

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Are you getting any money from either? What are your numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:59 pm

I feel bad for whoever is paying 200K+ to finance this.

Retake or dont go. If money really isnt an issue, then retake, apply to Fordham, and go there at sticker.

Shit, If you must go, then go to Brooklyn.

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Either Bk part time or nothing.....preferably nothing. DO NOT go to st. Johns or Hofstra....at all

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 pm

I seriously advise you not to attend any of these schools.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 pm

All of these options are horrible. If you're in the mood to burn a pile of money for no financial gain, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Neither. Retake.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 pm

OP, you have been here since Feb, did you really expect any different answers than what you have?????

But to answer your questions Brooklyn is better than St Johns but somewhat marginally. Going part time will not hurt your job hunting. I do not know their policy on transferring to FT but most schools allow it.... You could probably make up the difference and graduate on time if they do.....

Assuming you are not 200K in debt upon graduating go with whichever you personally like better as either way you are going to be busting hump to get a job.... If you are going into 200K debt to do this God help you.....

Good luck.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm

If you must go, part time at Brooklyn is a reasonable choice if you get a job during the day.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:If you must go, part time at Brooklyn is a reasonable choice if you get a job during the day.

Yea, i would say if you dont go to a better law school, at least do NOT give up work experience. You dont want to graduate unable to get a law job ON TOP of having a 3 year employmet gap. Keep working and do law school if you must go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 am

If you want people to give you serious advice, you need to get serious. What are your total debt loads from each school? If you do not have debt, how are you financing your legal education?

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:15 am

Why do you want to attend these schools despite their abysmal employment record? Is it so that for about 3 years, you'll be able to impress certain ignorant people that you're attending law school and, therefore, presumably headed for a comfortably upper-middle class lifestyle?

candytex

New

Post by candytex » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 am

I am transferring out of BLS and I know someone who went to St Johns so maybe I can help here with general advice.

I would pick BLS over St Johns if those were the only two options. That doesn't mean BLS is great but I feel like a lot of the flaws BLS has, St Johns also has.. so its just the nature of the beast.

As far as transferring from part-time to full-time, I cannot give you absolute statistics but I feel like I heard somewhere that about 30 students of maybe 100 transferred from part-time into the full-time program. So I know it happens and I do not think it is that difficult to do so that might be something you consider.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 am

Hova wrote:Thanks for the comments... but you guys haven't really helped me. I'm attending no matter what, its just a choice between BLS pt or STJ ft. Can we please move away from how law school is robbing me and the other poor students attending these schools. I'm aware of the employment situation and tuition costs but what I don't know is the pros and cons of the full-time program and the part-time program of these two schools. I would REALLY appreciate some input on what part-time law school is like. I always thought I would be doing this full-time but things change.
BLS pt:
Pros: Can work job during the day (or look for a job during the day)
Cons: Good chance of no legal job after graduating after four years.

STJ ft:
Pros: You don't have to go to class at night? Probably more hot girls in a fulltime program?
Cons: Good chance of no legal job after graduating after three years.

I would go with Brooklyn pt--that way, after you waste 4 years and someone else's money you at least will still have the day job you were working during law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 am

tl;dr version - I'm aware that this is a dumb decision, but help me make a really dumb decision

Going part time just lets you live off loans for another year and costs you more in the long run and you're going to be in classes with non-traditional students and people not smart enough to get into the full time program. HTH

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:18 am

I have to ask, how can you just say "move away from how law school is robbing me". I don't think many people on this forum are going to want to help nudge you towards an insanely bad decision. If you came on here and said "Hey, I can't decide between hanging myself or just shooting myself in the face", I think most answers would be "Don't kill yourself please". Obviously overly dramatic, but either way, we're talking about the rest of your life.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:33 am

tfleming09 wrote:
tl;dr version - I'm aware that this is a dumb decision, but help me make a really dumb decision

Going part time just lets you live off loans for another year and costs you more in the long run and you're going to be in classes with non-traditional students and people not smart enough to get into the full time program. HTH

Where do people get this idea that the part time program would cost more. Yea, if during the entire four years you dont do anything and take take out loans for all living expenses. The whole point of a part time program is to be able to work while going to school. Also, tuition is often at least 10,000 cheaper per year. So 10,000 per year cheaper at least plus not having to take out loans for living expenses equals over $30,000 a year LESS than full time depending on what is typically taken out for living loans. Plus you dont have to give up work experience.

OP, since you probably are going to go despite the warnings i say at least get a job, keep that job and go part time. Also, live cheaply and dont take out loans for living expenses. Use your job for that.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 am

I'll just go ahead and aggregate the pros and cons of both since they're basically the same:

Pros:

-You'll be able to append "Esq." to your name in 3-5 years time.

Cons:

-You will have wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars of your own money, your parents' money, taxpayer money or the money of whoever is financing your legal education.
-There is about a 10% chance that your "investment" will be worthwhile (i.e. that you will get a good job). And while I'm sure you think you'll end up in that top 10%, keep in mind that everyone else thinks the exact same thing.
-You will have wasted three to five years of your life in what I assume will be your twenties (i.e. probably some of the best years of your life)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”