Someone choosing between Cooley and Golden Gate Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Someone choosing between Cooley and Golden Gate

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:They need to make the bar exam a lot, lot more difficult. Slash the bottom 50-75 schools. Set up more lienient 1st-year exit programs for people to gracefully GTFO of school if their grades are crap (e.g., refund 50% of tuition or something).
Maybe some sort of paralegal certification or something?
bingbang1025 wrote:What these TTT schools do is absolutely criminal re: grade stipulations.

They systematically ensure that some of their scholarship students will lose their grants. The school gets to not pay in years 2/3 while keeping the GPA/LSAT inflation that student (likely way above their medians) brought them.
I never understood the justification for the stipulations. You're attending a shitty school in one of the worst job markets ever. You need to score in the top 10% just to have a shot at a decent job. Unless people are really just treating law school like a three-year vacation what exactly is the risk that a hardworking, intelligent student will suddenly stop working and voluntarily accept certain unemployment?
stips are used so that they can get students to come as a result of an incredible price. Then they don't have to pay out to a large percentage of the class for the last two years. The crazy thing is, they often put all the scholly kids in sections together so that a disproportionately high percentage of students will lose their scholarship, thus giving more money to repeat the cycle of luring people in under dubious pretenses

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:They need to make the bar exam a lot, lot more difficult. Slash the bottom 50-75 schools. Set up more lienient 1st-year exit programs for people to gracefully GTFO of school if their grades are crap (e.g., refund 50% of tuition or something).
Maybe some sort of paralegal certification or something?
bingbang1025 wrote:What these TTT schools do is absolutely criminal re: grade stipulations.

They systematically ensure that some of their scholarship students will lose their grants. The school gets to not pay in years 2/3 while keeping the GPA/LSAT inflation that student (likely way above their medians) brought them.
I never understood the justification for the stipulations. You're attending a shitty school in one of the worst job markets ever. You need to score in the top 10% just to have a shot at a decent job. Unless people are really just treating law school like a three-year vacation what exactly is the risk that a hardworking, intelligent student will suddenly stop working and voluntarily accept certain unemployment?
stips are used so that they can get students to come as a result of an incredible price. Then they don't have to pay out to a large percentage of the class for the last two years. The crazy thing is, they often put all the scholly kids in sections together so that a disproportionately high percentage of students will lose their scholarship, thus giving more money to repeat the cycle of luring people in under dubious pretenses
What I meant to say was I don't understand their official line. What do they tell the students? What would they tell the NY Times if asked? Most undergrad programs and many law schools do not have grade stipulated scholarships.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:36 pm

timbs4339 wrote: What I meant to say was I don't understand their official line. What do they tell the students? What would they tell the NY Times if asked? Most undergrad programs and many law schools do not have grade stipulated scholarships.
merit scholarships are for attracting (and retaining) "good students." if you don't prove that you're a "good student" (by being in the top x% of your class), you haven't kept your end of the bargain.

CK2012

New

Post by CK2012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm

fatduck wrote:
timbs4339 wrote: What I meant to say was I don't understand their official line. What do they tell the students? What would they tell the NY Times if asked? Most undergrad programs and many law schools do not have grade stipulated scholarships.
merit scholarships are for attracting (and retaining) "good students." if you don't prove that you're a "good student" (by being in the top x% of your class), you haven't kept your end of the bargain.
Funny. Do they teach this in contracts?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I would like to know what happens in 3 years with this person. They probably ended up in a roadside ditch...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Teflon_Jeff

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Jeff » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:00 pm

goldeneye wrote:I would like to know what happens in 3 years with this person. They probably ended up in a roadside ditch...
I'm assuming they'll just jump off of the Golden Gate before graduating from it...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:26 pm

goldeneye wrote:I would like to know what happens in 3 years with this person. They probably ended up in a roadside ditch...
Is this like one of those DirectTV commercials?

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:45 pm

goldeneye wrote:Provide them with a guide book on leaving the country and attaining a new identity to avoid debt payments.
There's a John Grisham book about this IIRC

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:47 pm

abc12345675 wrote:I know someone dumb enough to be considering these options. Won't listen to reason about retaking or not going. How would you deal with this?
Not get involved in other people's lives. You are not God.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:I know someone dumb enough to be considering these options. Won't listen to reason about retaking or not going. How would you deal with this?
lol seriously?

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:26 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
lol seriously?
Yea, I was JKing. Tell people what to do.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
lol seriously?
Yea, I was JKing. Tell people what to do.
ALPHA

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:33 pm

tell everyone unsolicited exactly how to run their lives and if they do something different deflate their tires while they're sleeping.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:56 pm

dkb17xzx wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Provide them with a guide book on leaving the country and attaining a new identity to avoid debt payments.
There's a John Grisham book about this IIRC
Are you thinking of The Partner?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Going to school for practically nothing is pretty sweet, but your life is pretty much ruined if you lose your scholarship.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:45 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Going to school for practically nothing is pretty sweet, but your life is pretty much ruined if you lose your scholarship.
Nah just drop out.

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 am

Golden Gate I think.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”