Pacific McGeorge a good school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:52 pm

There are some fairly good reasons to go to some schools rated ~ 100..... Just because you got accepted is not one of them.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:40 pm

flem wrote:
1Lguy23 wrote:University of Louisville often ranks around 100th and it offers great opportunities in the midwest and had higher employment rates than big name schools like Notre Dame and USC (check LSAC). Those numbers don't include tricks like hiring their own grads and counting people who work at Wal Mart too. These jobs aren't big firm in most cases, but I don't think many of the lower T2 schools can be classified as "horrible" unless making six figures starting is a prerequisite.


If "good" = "2/3rds of students get actual legal jobs after graduation", then yeah, it's good (LinkRemoved)




Considering everything, sounds pretty good to me. Its not terrific (!), but they also cant just guarantee jobs. Also, yea, many higher ranked schools do much worse.

ANoor
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 am

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby ANoor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:36 am

Are there any circumstances where attending McGeorge would be a good move?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby cinephile » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 am

ANoor wrote:Are there any circumstances where attending McGeorge would be a good move?


If it's free tuition and no stipulations and comes with a stipend, or you're going part-time and working at your current job and the JD will boost you up a pay grade at your current job (maybe even your boss is paying for it), you own a home in Sacramento and absolutely cannot sell it/move, you have a spouse with a high-paying job in the area and you cannot move, maybe if you had family obligations like taking care of an aging parent and there are no other schools which you could reasonably commute to, if you had a GUARANTEED job upon graduation (ideally at your family's firm, where business is stable), or if you're wealthy and bored. Ideally, more than one of these factors should be true for you to attend McGeorge (like you're not paying for it and you cannot leave the region for whatever reason).

lynch
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby lynch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 am

No.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby flem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 am

RedBirds2011 wrote:Considering everything, sounds pretty good to me. Its not terrific (!), but they also cant just guarantee jobs. Also, yea, many higher ranked schools do much worse.


This "well other schools are shitty, and some are even shittier based on a set of rankings pulled out of Bob Morse's asshole" is a terrible argument.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:09 am

ANoor wrote:Ya University of Kansas


Are you a Kansas resident? B/c KU with $10k/year, when tuition is only $16k/year in-state is a good deal.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 am

flem wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:Considering everything, sounds pretty good to me. Its not terrific (!), but they also cant just guarantee jobs. Also, yea, many higher ranked schools do much worse.


This "well other schools are shitty, and some are even shittier based on a set of rankings pulled out of Bob Morse's asshole" is a terrible argument.


So is basing your argument off of job statistics and then getting mad when we point out that a given shitty schools job stats are probably better than some of the ones above it in the arbitrary rankings this website is obsessed with. :)

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby kwais » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am

Nickleback a good band?

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 am

flem wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:Considering everything, sounds pretty good to me. Its not terrific (!), but they also cant just guarantee jobs. Also, yea, many higher ranked schools do much worse.


This "well other schools are shitty, and some are even shittier based on a set of rankings pulled out of Bob Morse's asshole" is a terrible argument.




Dont hold your breath on a school that has 3/3 grads getting full time legal employment. Dont hold your breath on any academic program having that aside from maybe medicine. Dont like it, dont go.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:So is basing your argument off of job statistics and then getting mad when we point out that a given shitty schools job stats are probably better than some of the ones above it in the arbitrary rankings this website is obsessed with. :)

kwais wrote:Nickleback a good band?


Employing the same logic that spleenworship used, Nickleback is at least decent because some of the bands that are higher up on the Top 40 charts have sold fewer albums.

Am I doing it right?

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
spleenworship wrote:So is basing your argument off of job statistics and then getting mad when we point out that a given shitty schools job stats are probably better than some of the ones above it in the arbitrary rankings this website is obsessed with. :)

kwais wrote:Nickleback a good band?


Employing the same logic that spleenworship used, Nickleback is at least decent because some of the bands that are higher up on the Top 40 charts have sold fewer albums.

Am I doing it right?



Lol no. Also, nickelback is one of the worst bands in the history of bands. Im not sure we can classify them as music. Everytime a nickelback song plays, a little kitten dies somewhere.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby kwais » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:36 pm

I'll have the quesadilla

User avatar
renorunningirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby renorunningirl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm

One of my old college roommates went to Pacific. She graduated last year and went on to work at a midsized firm and is not having trouble paying things off. HOWEVER, she had a pretty hefty scholarship and had to go back to Reno (where she had some family connections) to find a job because the CA market was so saturated. Based on her experience I would reevaluate your options unless you have some sort of job waiting for you... Good luck

jstr00az
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 am

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby jstr00az » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 pm

If you're so stupid that you're asking in 2012 whether Pacific McGeorge is a "good school," then go.

If you're reading this far to find the answer to that question, go.

Otherwise, find something useful to do in your life, because going to a 100 ranked school is a waste of your time and your money.

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Why won't this thread die??????

Is it a good school? I don't know it's relative. Compared to Golden Gate, yes. In general? No.

Go at your own risk. End of story

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby PARTY » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:47 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Is it a good school? I don't know it's relative. Compared to Golden Gate, yes. In general? No.


User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
spleenworship wrote:So is basing your argument off of job statistics and then getting mad when we point out that a given shitty schools job stats are probably better than some of the ones above it in the arbitrary rankings this website is obsessed with. :)

kwais wrote:Nickleback a good band?


Employing the same logic that spleenworship used, Nickleback is at least decent because some of the bands that are higher up on the Top 40 charts have sold fewer albums.

Am I doing it right?


Negative ghost-rider.... I'm just saying that, to extend the metaphor, that if you are interested in selling albums in your store then stocking Nickelback (gag) albums might be a worthwhile investment since they sell more often than some of those in the top 40 charts.

I might be a little lost now, cuz it has been like a week since we started this discussion, but I think my point was that a place with a 66% job placement into real lawyer jobs might not be a bad choice compared to some school ranked higher than it on US News that has lower job placement into real lawyer jobs. That's all.


ETA: and that ain't Pacific, in case OP is still reading. Just don't go there.

ANoor
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 am

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Wow, I can't believe this thing is still going!

As of today I'm still considering McGeorge, trying to get more money out of them. I talked to an alumni and she said it is well regarded in Frenso, which is somewhere I could live if need be. I'm still in the process of confirming her kind words for Mcgeorge. I went to Fresno State, so Fresno could be an option for me. Also still considering retaking.

PS. Nickleback sucks. Turn on some Eric Clapton and call it a day.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:59 pm

ANoor wrote: Also still considering retaking.


Do this, not that.

law2015
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby law2015 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Avoid at all costs, even free.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests