Pacific McGeorge a good school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
indo

Re: Pacific McGeorge a good school?

Postby indo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 pm

ANoor wrote:Wow, doesn't sound like such a great option. My long term goal is to have my own practice. Short term I'd like to get a decent job out of school and gain some experience. I read McGeorge does well in the sacramento area. Anyone know if that's accurate?

Mcgoerge will be second to UC davis in Sactramento

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:09 pm

indo wrote:
ANoor wrote:Wow, doesn't sound like such a great option. My long term goal is to have my own practice. Short term I'd like to get a decent job out of school and gain some experience. I read McGeorge does well in the sacramento area. Anyone know if that's accurate?

Mcgoerge will be second to UC davis in Sactramento

Or any top school kids from sacramento that want to come home.

This blanket statement about its 2nd or 3rd in market is HORRIBLE. Yeah it may be "respected" in a city, but if there are barely any jobs to be had there, don't set yourself up with horrible odds.

ANoor

Postby ANoor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 pm

gonna be 32 this year, dont really want to lose another year to retake. Is retake really my only option?

I'm waitlisted at U Illinois, UNLV, Pepperdine, U Miami, Santa Clara, Southwestern, Samford and U Wisconsin.

Accepted at KU, McGeorge, Maine, Golden Gate, Pheonix School of Law.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm

ANoor wrote:So KU with $10k/yr scholly better than McGeorge with $10k/yr scholly?

KU as in Kansas?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm

ANoor wrote:gonna be 32 this year, dont really want to lose another year to retake. Is retake really my only option?

I'm waitlisted at U Illinois, UNLV, Pepperdine, U Miami, Santa Clara, Southwestern, Samford and U Wisconsin.

It definitely isn't your only option, but it certainly is your only wise option.

ANoor

Postby ANoor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Ya University of Kansas

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 pm

ANoor wrote:gonna be 32 this year, dont really want to lose another year to retake. Is retake really my only option?

Yeah it really is your only option, does it suck to start late, yeah. But you are going to be working for 30 more years, having one year suck in exchange for 30 seems like a good deal to me?

There is a thread for people over 30, they could probably help you out also!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 pm

OK seriously, you are ALL over the map here.....

None of these schools is absolutely outstanding but Maine and Kansas at least do well in their market but keep in mind NEITHER of those markets are particularly all that great and BOTH are going to be pretty parochial meaning you really should be from there or have some sort of ties to help you get a job there....

Romo, can you link to your ties thread?????

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 pm

I am WAY over 30 and was ready to sit out a year...... Yeah it sucks, but it really is the best thing you can do unless you were born and raised in Maine or Kansas and are just dying to get back there.....

ANoor

Postby ANoor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Yeah, I figured my best bet is to get into University of Illinois and try and transfer. Second option prob Pepperdine and try to transfer to UCLA/USC if possible. I hear UNLV at a good price is an ok move.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:20 pm

ANoor wrote:Yeah, I figured my best bet is to get into University of Illinois and try and transfer. Second option prob Pepperdine and try to transfer to UCLA/USC if possible. I hear UNLV at a good price is an ok move.

You have a 5% chance of transferring, you realize the LSAT is about a thousand times easier than 1L?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
ANoor wrote:Yeah, I figured my best bet is to get into University of Illinois and try and transfer. Second option prob Pepperdine and try to transfer to UCLA/USC if possible. I hear UNLV at a good price is an ok move.

You have a 5% chance of transferring, you realize the LSAT is about a thousand times easier than 1L?

This. Planning on transferring from the get-go is sublimely idiotic.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Never go to a law school expecting to transfer out. Only go if you would be perfectly happy to graduate from that school.

ANoor

Postby ANoor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:28 pm

sounds like Illinois with a decent scholly is my best bet. Anyone know if pepperdine does well in central california? I wonder if it does well in san fernando valley.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm

So, this is starting to sound like a flame.....

ANoor

Postby ANoor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:36 pm

No flame. Just tryin to look at it from all angles. Big decision and I'm not sure what direction I want to go. Getting mixed messages.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:38 pm

If you're on the WL at Illinois you're not going to get a scholarship. Your best bet is retaking and reapplying next year

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Read this thread, seriously, it is very illuminating......

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178938&hilit=region

ANoor

Postby ANoor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Great thread, much appreciated.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:29 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I heard they have a hella sick international law program brahs.

That sounds kinda interesting... but where did USNWR rank their space program?

More importantly, where did they fall in the Cooley Rankings??

1Lguy23

Postby 1Lguy23 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:40 pm

dpk711 wrote:
1Lguy23 wrote:it's ranked like 100th, which in the scheme of things isn't horrible. But it's 39k a year plus California living expenses, plus my guess their bar passage rate is pretty bad with the California bar being so challenging.

I don't know about you but I won't pay more than 20k annual tuition for law school with the market being as poor as it is.

First, generally speaking a school that's ranked like 100 is horrible. Second, I can think of at least 12 schools where I'd pay 20k+ annual tuition even in this market.

University of Louisville often ranks around 100th and it offers great opportunities in the midwest and had higher employment rates than big name schools like Notre Dame and USC (check LSAC). Those numbers don't include tricks like hiring their own grads and counting people who work at Wal Mart too. These jobs aren't big firm in most cases, but I don't think many of the lower T2 schools can be classified as "horrible" unless making six figures starting is a prerequisite.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:06 pm

1Lguy23 wrote:University of Louisville often ranks around 100th and it offers great opportunities in the midwest and had higher employment rates than big name schools like Notre Dame and USC (check LSAC). Those numbers don't include tricks like hiring their own grads and counting people who work at Wal Mart too. These jobs aren't big firm in most cases, but I don't think many of the lower T2 schools can be classified as "horrible" unless making six figures starting is a prerequisite.

If "good" = "2/3rds of students get actual legal jobs after graduation", then yeah, it's good (LinkRemoved)

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:22 pm

emarxnj wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Not bad.

This changes everything.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 pm

flem wrote:
1Lguy23 wrote:University of Louisville often ranks around 100th and it offers great opportunities in the midwest and had higher employment rates than big name schools like Notre Dame and USC (check LSAC). Those numbers don't include tricks like hiring their own grads and counting people who work at Wal Mart too. These jobs aren't big firm in most cases, but I don't think many of the lower T2 schools can be classified as "horrible" unless making six figures starting is a prerequisite.

If "good" = "2/3rds of students get actual legal jobs after graduation", then yeah, it's good (LinkRemoved)

When some T14 school have rates in the 70th percentiles for the same "actual legal jobs after grad" rate, that is actually pretty decent. 2011 was a bad year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”