Kent full ride or UofC sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chad

Kent full ride or UofC sticker?

Postby Chad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:42 pm

My stats put me just inside at UC and I'm almost a sure lock for full ride at Kent, likely in their honors program which actually includes a very small CoL stipend. I'm currently employed in a decent career, but I enjoy legal issues and I'm especially interested in litigation. From a financial standpoint though, I'm not eager to spend 3 years in school only to come out making the same income I can earn without the degree, so that means BigLaw is where I'm most interested.

I want to stay in Chicago so I'm not so concerned about regional vs. national recognition. But can Kent grads get work even in the Chicago BigLaw firms? Their placement stats for BigLaw are low, and since even those numbers are heavily doctored does that mean that no one from Kent ends up in BigLaw?

And frankly, is UC at sticker even worth it? Sure, your odds of landing that BigLaw gig are much improved, but 160k doesn't feel like much when you've got 1500 in loan payments each month. As many people have pointed out, you can end up with much higher take home pay for far fewer hours in other fields that don't require 250k in loans, and yet tons of people still line up for this ride. Am I missing something?

Doorkeeper

Re: Kent full ride or UofC sticker?

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Chicago. Not even a real choice here if you want biglaw.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Chicago. Not even a real choice here if you want biglaw.

I second this.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Chicago. Not even a real choice here if you want biglaw.

I third this.

CK2012

Postby CK2012 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:49 pm

I just graduate from Kent with little debt and a six figure job. I would still take UofC at sticker. Kent can be rewarding for many students, but there are absolutely no guarantees at Kent.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Even if your stats are higher than most in your class at Kent, that doesn't mean you'll be in the top 10%. And if you're not in the top 10%, you probably aren't getting biglaw. Chicago is a much safer bet.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Your loan payments will be much more than $1,500 per month. But, don't go to Kent imo.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm

What about NU? Possibility for some money and much better prospects than Kent.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Chad wrote:My stats put me just inside at UC and I'm almost a sure lock for full ride at Kent, likely in their honors program which actually includes a very small CoL stipend. I'm currently employed in a decent career, but I enjoy legal issues and I'm especially interested in litigation. From a financial standpoint though, I'm not eager to spend 3 years in school only to come out making the same income I can earn without the degree, so that means BigLaw is where I'm most interested.

I want to stay in Chicago so I'm not so concerned about regional vs. national recognition. But can Kent grads get work even in the Chicago BigLaw firms? Their placement stats for BigLaw are low, and since even those numbers are heavily doctored does that mean that no one from Kent ends up in BigLaw?

And frankly, is UC at sticker even worth it? Sure, your odds of landing that BigLaw gig are much improved, but 160k doesn't feel like much when you've got 1500 in loan payments each month. As many people have pointed out, you can end up with much higher take home pay for far fewer hours in other fields that don't require 250k in loans, and yet tons of people still line up for this ride. Am I missing something?

Your take-home in Chicago big law is like $9,300/month. At sticker, your loan payments will be more like $3,000 per month. That leaves you with $6,300/month, or the equivalent of roughly a $100k/year salary pre-tax. There are very few fields where you're going to make that kind of money--basically only medicine, finance, consulting, or engineering.

Also, if you've got WE and U Chicago numbers, NU with a nice scholarship is almost certainly a better bet. See: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=181415. The extra name recognition of U Chicago will help if you want to go to DC or clerk for a feeder judge. In Chicago, there is nothing you can get from U Chicago that you can't get from NU.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Chad wrote:And frankly, is UC at sticker even worth it? Sure, your odds of landing that BigLaw gig are much improved, but 160k doesn't feel like much when you've got 1500 in loan payments each month. As many people have pointed out, you can end up with much higher take home pay for far fewer hours in other fields that don't require 250k in loans, and yet tons of people still line up for this ride. Am I missing something?

A lot of people who go to top law schools never had good options to begin with. They aren't STEM eligible or didn't go to top UG programs and so aren't on the finance/consulting track.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Chad wrote:And frankly, is UC at sticker even worth it? Sure, your odds of landing that BigLaw gig are much improved, but 160k doesn't feel like much when you've got 1500 in loan payments each month. As many people have pointed out, you can end up with much higher take home pay for far fewer hours in other fields that don't require 250k in loans, and yet tons of people still line up for this ride. Am I missing something?

A lot of people who go to top law schools never had good options to begin with. They aren't STEM eligible or didn't go to top UG programs and so aren't on the finance/consulting track.

There's quite a few former consultants and engineers at law school. Consulting is a 2-year gig up-or-out gig for most people. About the only group that you don't see voluntarily in law school is finance guys.
Last edited by rayiner on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm

RUN, do not walk, to your nearest post office and mail your deposit check to the University of Chicago

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 pm

OP: You did a very poor job of applying to law schools if these are your only options. The better choice is Chicago. The best choice, however, is to reapply broadly next cycle.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

My stats put me

Is this theoretical? If so, stop wasting people's time and come back in 8 months if you actually have these options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”