Curious about effect of late acceptances/schollys

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timbs4339

Curious about effect of late acceptances/schollys

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Are any of the prospective students out there who accepted early offers now going back to the schools and trying to get more money? Anecdotally, I have heard that as schools get more desperate, they are offering more money to the later acceptances or waitlist folks than they normally would have. I wouldn't think a school would have any reason to offer the same to a student who has already placed down a deposit- unless that student threatens to walk and take their higher numbers with them.

Has anyone successfully negotiated well after accepting an offer?

timbs4339

Re: Curious about effect of late acceptances/schollys

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:20 am

Am bumping based on this story: http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... mment-form

If you already deposited at a law school months ago, would you consider going back and trying to renegotiate your scholarship award?
Last edited by timbs4339 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 am

I've begged for money left and right, multiple times. It's worked big once, failed most of the time. I've struck out three times with my current school, I'll probably stop at five. With tuition so high, people are crazy not to ask (courteously, of course)!

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 am

I went back to my school 3 times with other offers and they raised it every time. I started at $23k a year and ended at $40k a year. This was all after I paid the first deposit.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am

This blog post discusses on person who negotiated for $105,000...but it was an off the waitlist person, school not identified. If I had been admitted earlier and was paying more I would withdraw and sit out a year. There is no way I would pay more than someone off the wait list with worse numbers.

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... l-bag.html

It involves negotiations between an admitted applicant and a top 20 law school. The applicant is a "splitter" in the jargon of the trade -- someone with a low (sub 3.0) GPA and a high (168) LSAT. The applicant was admitted off the wait list recently and was offered a $60K "scholarship." (This is a much larger "scholarship" than applicants with much better numbers who were admitted months earlier received).

Unfortunately for the school, the applicant is that rarest of fauna -- an actually sophisticated consumer of higher education. Over the course of a few weeks the applicant squeezed increasingly larger "scholarship" amounts out the school (again, these awards aren't scholarships in the sense of income from endowments -- they're simply straight discounts on the price of tuition). The award went from $60K to $84K to $99K to $105K, as "additional scholarship funding" mysteriously became available every time the applicant said no to the previous offer.

I know from other correspondence that the admissions office at this school was lying routinely to other applicants, having told them months earlier that the school had "run out of funding" for increased "scholarship" aid.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 am

[quote="sunynp"]This blog post discusses on person who negotiated for $105,000...but it was an off the waitlist person, school not identified. If I had been admitted earlier and was paying more I would withdraw and sit out a year. There is no way I would pay more than someone off the wait list with worse numbers.

I agree, if I had better numbers and no cash, I'd be incredibly disappointed. Schools have you in a tough spot at some point because all you can do is threaten to withdraw, and until you do, it doesn't mean much.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 am

sunynp wrote:This blog post discusses on person who negotiated for $105,000...but it was an off the waitlist person, school not identified. If I had been admitted earlier and was paying more I would withdraw and sit out a year. There is no way I would pay more than someone off the wait list with worse numbers.

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... l-bag.html

It involves negotiations between an admitted applicant and a top 20 law school. The applicant is a "splitter" in the jargon of the trade -- someone with a low (sub 3.0) GPA and a high (168) LSAT. The applicant was admitted off the wait list recently and was offered a $60K "scholarship." (This is a much larger "scholarship" than applicants with much better numbers who were admitted months earlier received).

Unfortunately for the school, the applicant is that rarest of fauna -- an actually sophisticated consumer of higher education. Over the course of a few weeks the applicant squeezed increasingly larger "scholarship" amounts out the school (again, these awards aren't scholarships in the sense of income from endowments -- they're simply straight discounts on the price of tuition). The award went from $60K to $84K to $99K to $105K, as "additional scholarship funding" mysteriously became available every time the applicant said no to the previous offer.

I know from other correspondence that the admissions office at this school was lying routinely to other applicants, having told them months earlier that the school had "run out of funding" for increased "scholarship" aid.

Yes, that was the scenario I was envisioning with OP. Of course it is hard to estimate whether people being admitted off the waitlist or with better stats are getting higher awards, and I know after I was done with admissions/schollys I totally checked out of TLS/LSN until law school started. But especially savvy consumers might see an opportunity here.

Wily

Postby Wily » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 am

This poster's story seems almost exactly the same as mine - in fact I had to double check to make sure it wasn't me. I was accepted late/off the waitlist at multiple schools, and negotiated scholarships upward at nearly all of them. The school in question is almost certainly GW, where I am also going with a substantial scholarship (81k).

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 am

I guess it's not surprising that there's an LSAT crunch in this rank range.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:02 am

I was admitted at the two schools I bounced off each other during scholarship negotiations relatively early (Jan-Feb), but I didn't squeeze out full ride offers from both of them until 2-3 weeks ago. My LSAT was on the 75% scale but my GPA was in between 25-50%, so I'm guessing it was the GPA that had them waiting. I'm pretty sure that my reticence to commit to either school was a factor in them magically "finding" more scholarship aid after the other school "found" more to give me. This went back and forth for about 5-6 weeks starting after the first tuition deposit deadline passed. I just deposited at the school I chose a few weeks ago.

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:26 pm

I haven't gone back to my deposited school, largely because it hasn't been challenged yet, monetarily. I've gotten some offers off of various waitlists, and told them quite frankly what I already have.Some have said "Go there, I can't touch that" others have tried, but none have really come close to a similar overall COA.

I imagine that, if one of these offers became competitive, I would talk to my Deposited school, but I'm not wasting their time with non-competitive offers.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:19 pm

I just politely told mine I was concerned about the COA (didn't mention any competing offers) and got a bump last week.

Although, now they might be competing against a job offer so we'll see how that goes instead of a leveraged scholly negotiation...

humblebrag

Either way, this is a good year.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:31 pm

splitbrain wrote:I just politely told mine I was concerned about the COA (didn't mention any competing offers) and got a bump last week.

Although, now they might be competing against a job offer so we'll see how that goes instead of a leveraged scholly negotiation...

humblebrag

Either way, this is a good year.

You know it is a great year for some people. Some people have been admitted to t14 schools with numbers that would never have gotten them in. Those people have received money too in some cases.

But this is a terrible year to have made your decision early and committed. I know there will be people at most of these schools with better numbers who end up paying more.
And many of those people had been told previously that their school was out of money to give.

Just look through some of the threads here it is easy to see.

I think anyone in that position should demand more money. Even if they don't fund out about it until after school starts. A school shouldnt tell earlier admits with higher numbers that they are out of money and then turn around and give money to other students a few months later.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”