BC vs. American

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rach7829

BC vs. American

Postby rach7829 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:28 am

To many people I've talked to this seems like an obvious choice (BC ranks 29, American ranks 49). Unfortunately, it's not so simple to me. Both schools would cost around the same amount. Since applying to law schools I've decided I want to move out of Boston since I'm from the area and went to BU undergrad. In addition I want to work in DC and I'm interested in child advocacy / public interest and international human rights law (both of which are very strong at American). The employment rates are higher coming out of BC but I'm curious how much everyone thinks this matters when my other interests seem to be leading me towards American...

westcoast

Re: BC vs. American

Postby westcoast » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:53 am

rach7829 wrote:To many people I've talked to this seems like an obvious choice (BC ranks 29, American ranks 49). Unfortunately, it's not so simple to me. Both schools would cost around the same amount. Since applying to law schools I've decided I want to move out of Boston since I'm from the area and went to BU undergrad. In addition I want to work in DC and I'm interested in child advocacy / public interest and international human rights law (both of which are very strong at American). The employment rates are higher coming out of BC but I'm curious how much everyone thinks this matters when my other interests seem to be leading me towards American...

If you want to live and work in DC, then you should probably go to American. You'll be able to get DC internships during the school year. That would be a huge benefit.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 am

If you want to be in DC, retake and reapply for Georgetown or possibly GW. American isn't going to get you what you want.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:38 am

retake and ED UVA..... not trolling btw

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 am

rach7829 wrote:In addition I want to work in DC and I'm interested in child advocacy / public interest and international human rights law (both of which are very strong at American).

lol no.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am

rach7829 wrote: I'm interested in child advocacy / public interest and international human rights law (both of which are very strong at American).

Just because Bob Morse at USNews pulled a high specialty ranking out of his butthole in these categories doesn't mean they actually place graduates into jobs in this field.

If you want DC, retake and reapply to Georgetown or GW with a huge scholarship. American is a festering TTT despite its ranking. BC isn't good for what you want.

Sorry bro.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 am

You very likely aren't working in international human rights. Start off with some concrete realistic goals and take it from there. If the schools cost the same, I think BC is the smart choice, butif your heart is set on DC, id take the LSAT again until you at least get into GW, or hopefully GULC.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 am

cinephile wrote:If you want to be in DC, retake and reapply for Georgetown or possibly GW. American isn't going to get you what you want.

This.

Also, BC is ok for Boston. So-so outside of New England.

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 am

flem wrote:
rach7829 wrote: I'm interested in child advocacy / public interest and international human rights law (both of which are very strong at American).

Just because Bob Morse at USNews pulled a high specialty ranking out of his butthole in these categories doesn't mean they actually place graduates into jobs in this field.

If you want DC, retake and reapply to Georgetown or GW with a huge scholarship. American is a festering TTT despite its ranking. BC isn't good for what you want.

Sorry bro.

I agree. American is bad. Stay far away. Also, how much money did you get to each school?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”