Penn vs Northwestern for CA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn or NU

Penn
74%
NU
26%

Total votes: 35

Revolver066

Penn vs Northwestern for CA

Postby Revolver066 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Hello all, I was all set on going to NU until I got an interest call from Penn (so I'm not in yet) but if I get in, I'm interested on hearing some opinions on which school is better for CA (specifically LA) biglaw.

-Assuming sticker at both, so according to LST, Penn is $260k and NU is $287k (:sob:). Penn is cheaper by 27k but both are potentially soul-crushing. (I'm a URM splitter btw so lower ranked schools like USC/UCLA with a scholarship are not currently options)

-Like I said, I'm gunning for CA biglaw, and I'm assuming they are a wash in this regard but I'd love to get some current students thoughts on this. Penn has better NLJ 250 numbers but NU sends more grads to Cali.

-My goal overall is to get any kind of high paying job (so Penn), but from what I've heard I think I would prefer Chicago to NY, and with no ties to Chicago, Penn would limit me to NY/CA, whereas NU could potentially open up the Chicago market as well as NY and LA (so NU, correct me if I'm wrong). Take this with a huge grain of salt as I've never been to Chicago and haven't been to NY since I was a kid. Though I didn't like NY much at all.

As of now I'm thinking Penn because of their recent employment numbers (big thanks to Rayiner for the excellent employment/un employment threads), but maybe I'm just falling in love with numbers that won't necessarily be repeated. Also, NU's numbers are right there with Penn. I will say I do have WE but it is not too impressive, so being in a student body like NU may be a bit of a detriment come OCI.

TYIA for the responses.

Doorkeeper

Re: Penn vs Northwestern for CA

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Can you use the Penn acceptance to get some $$ from Northwestern?

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Can you use the Penn acceptance to get some $$ from Northwestern?

Probably not, but I'll try. I was a hold admit and they were pretty clear about not having any money left.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:23 am

I wish I had personal anecdotal evidence about California for you, but I only have knowledge of other individuals at Penn.

Penn students are having very good success in getting back to CA. The Class of 2013 placed pretty well, and there's no reason to suggest our class won't be just as good.

When it comes to biglaw, period, Penn is simply a little bit better than NU. I think California placement follows the same thing.

When visiting both schools, if you like NU significantly more, it's not terrible to go there. But, you will have a slightly better chance at biglaw at Penn. Yeah, Chicago will be sort of closed off, but job security is probably more important, in my opinion. You can always go back to California after doing the NY thing for a little while. Having a biglaw job, period, might be more important.

Fun fact: The undergrads most represented in the Class of 2014 at Penn:

1.) Penn
2.) Penn State
3.) Duke
4./5. (can't remember the order): UCLA/Berkeley.

We have a LOT of California folks here, and we wouldn't have so many if Penn wasn't good at getting the ones who want to go back what they want.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 am

Interesting comment in the post above suggesting that it's easy to get back to California after a few years in NYC biglaw.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:32 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Interesting comment in the post above suggesting that it's easy to get back to California after a few years in NYC biglaw.

Hm, maybe I suggested it was too easy. But I know a few individuals who have done this, and they didn't indicate it was really too difficult, either.

I'll willingly plead a mild ignorance on California matters; I just know some pretty valid anecdotal evidence.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 am

Wasn't meant in a questioning manner.

OP: Personal preference in light of your target market of California. Two great schools for biglaw placement. Congratulations .

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:49 am

PennBull wrote:When it comes to biglaw, period, Penn is simply a little bit better than NU. I think California placement follows the same thing.

I doubt any non-HYS, non-Boalt T14 carries any more weight than any other in California. That's just not how legal hiring works. CLS/Penn don't have a 10% advantage on placement over NU because firms everywhere consider it 10% better. It's because NYC firms which have one-third of all the SA spots consider it 30% better.

That being said, the safety advantage at Penn is very real, and I do agree that having to schlep through NYC big law for two years before moving back to California is better than not getting big law. Also, realize that Chicago is an insular market, even for people from NU. So unless you can find a wife-track girlfriend from the midwest before 2L OCI, targeting NYC is probably your best bet.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:55 am

rayiner wrote:
PennBull wrote:When it comes to biglaw, period, Penn is simply a little bit better than NU. I think California placement follows the same thing.

I doubt any non-HYS, non-Boalt T14 carries any more weight than any other in California. That's just not how legal hiring works.

My hypothesis was based on the amount of firms that come to the respective OCIs. Shouldn't there be a statistically significant correlation between amount of CA offices at OCI, and CA firm hiring?

Again, I'd be happy to be proven wrong; I really would like better information to give CA students who are looking at Penn.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 am

PennBull wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I doubt any non-HYS, non-Boalt T14 carries any more weight than any other in California. That's just not how legal hiring works.

My hypothesis was based on the amount of firms that come to the respective OCIs. Shouldn't there be a statistically significant correlation between amount of CA offices at OCI, and CA firm hiring?

Again, I'd be happy to be proven wrong; I really would like better information to give CA students who are looking at Penn.

Are there more CA offices/interview slots at Penn OCI?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm

rayiner wrote: doubt any non-HYS, non-Boalt T14 carries any more weight than any other in California. That's just not how legal hiring works. CLS/Penn don't have a 10% advantage on placement over NU because firms everywhere consider it 10% better. It's because NYC firms which have one-third of all the SA spots consider it 30% better.

This.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 pm

rayiner wrote:
PennBull wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Are there more CA offices/interview slots at Penn OCI?

I assumed there were--but that's a shitty assumption now that I think about it. There are 86 CA offices at Penn this fall (including the regional interviewing program), with 559 interview slots available.

Where can we go to find numbers for other schools? I just looked at the info Penn gave us.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 pm

PennBull wrote:I assumed there were--but that's a shitty assumption now that I think about it. There are 86 CA offices at Penn this fall (including the regional interviewing program), with 559 interview slots available.

Where can we go to find numbers for other schools? I just looked at the info Penn gave us.

That sounds like a pretty healthy number. I have no idea what it is at NU. Most of the V100 CA offices interview. A 2L with access to Symplicity could say for sure.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:14 pm

OP, Penn also offers pre-OCI interviews set up in various secondary markets, including some in LA. It's my understanding that there is some overlap between the Cali firms who do onsite regional interviews and the ones that come to OCI, but there are also some firms that only do one or the other. If you have Cali ties and/or are going to be in the area your 1L summer, you could take advantage of that program.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”