GW vs. Irvine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
blurose

Re: GW vs. Irvine

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
I believe the school will wind up being a direct peer of USC and UCLA, and similarly ranked.

No. Maybe Davis and Hastings though.

Naaa...UCI will eclipse Davis and Hastings, because its GPA/LSAT medians are too high, its class sizes are too small (meaning everyone will be employed), and its scholarly impact will be too strong. Don't assume that because the school is new the law community doesn't know about it or have faith in it. UC-Irvine is already prestigious just as a university. The law faculty is already top-10 and will probably climb.

Ala Duke and UVA, UCI is already bribing students to defer; that should tell you something about the impression students are getting at ASW. They are highly impressed. It'll wind up ranked somewhere between #20 and #30 initially...probably around #25.

blurose wrote:The in-state tuition rate for UCI is the same as GW. Out of state tuition at UCI is MORE than GW. Which sounds insane unless you remember the budget crisis that is California right now.

D.C. COL is expensive, and so is Orange County. It depends on where OP wants to practice, but I wouldn't sleep on UCI. I believe that school's ranking is going to shock a lot of people in 2014. After that, everyone will want to apply there, and its selectivity rating will go through the roof.

GWU Tuition: $44,000

UCI In-State Tuition: $37,000

UCI Law's in-state tuition and fees assessment is $44,347.50. That's not including living expenses, books, etc. http://reg.uci.edu/fees/2011-2012/law.html

GWU Law's tuition is $45,750.
Last edited by blurose on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 pm

padawanphil wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Yes...I am srs.

"...wild speculation"? It's fun. I'll concede that nobody really knows what will happen. I am just optimistic. The general point is that nobody outside of T14 should be too quick to write off UCI, especially if they believe they received significant $$$ and they want to work in Cali.

I am probably drinking too much of the UCI/Chemerinsky Kool-Aid, but I believe in the school.

Well, I'm not writing it off, but I do think turning down proven commodities for wild cards ITE is a risk not worth taking unless enough $$$ is thrown their way.

Yeah but could you say that a degree from GWU is a proven commodity? In the current legal market?

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 am

blurose wrote:
padawanphil wrote:

"...wild speculation"? It's fun. I'll concede that nobody really knows what will happen. I am just optimistic. The general point is that nobody outside of T14 should be too quick to write off UCI, especially if they believe they received significant $$$ and they want to work in Cali.

I am probably drinking too much of the UCI/Chemerinsky Kool-Aid, but I believe in the school.

Well, I'm not writing it off, but I do think turning down proven commodities for wild cards ITE is a risk not worth taking unless enough $$$ is thrown their way.

Yeah but could you say that a degree from GWU is a proven commodity? In the current legal market?

:-) Look forward to meeting you in the Fall!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:29 am

blurose wrote:
padawanphil wrote:

Both are risky (just look at the Above the Law post today on GW's school funded jobs). Law school in general is risky. I would not say a degree from GW is a proven commodity in this legal market. Honestly both are good schools (w/ $$!) and COL is lower in OC IMO. Just live in the grad housing w/ a roommate, shop at TJ's and walk/bike to school, don't drive. Plus with the scholarship $, and if you want to work in CA, then it is a good choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”