Davis, Loyola or Pepperdine if you want to transfer to UCLA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
0pf

Davis, Loyola or Pepperdine if you want to transfer to UCLA?

Postby 0pf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:29 pm

I want to stay in Southern California and my dream schools are UCLA or USC. Unfortunately, neither of these two accepted me. I have been accepted into Davis, Loyola, and Pepperdine. I don't think I would mind graduating from any of these 3, I would just like to know from which of these schools I would have a better chance of transferring into UCLA.

I know I shouldn't count on ranking high enough to transfer, but for what it's worth i'm ready to give it my best effort.

rickgrimes69

Re: Davis, Loyola or Pepperdine if you want to transfer to UCLA?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm

0pf wrote:I want to stay in Southern California and my dream schools are UCLA or USC. Unfortunately, neither of these two accepted me. I have been accepted into Davis, Loyola, and Pepperdine. I don't think I would mind graduating from any of these 3, I would just like to know from which of these schools I would have a better chance of transferring into UCLA.

I know I shouldn't count on ranking high enough to transfer, but for what it's worth i'm ready to give it my best effort.

Not much, unfortunately. Don't go anywhere expecting to transfer. If you aren't happy with the schools you got into (and at sticker, you shouldn't be), retake / reapply / don't go.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 pm

They will go deepest into the Davis class. Not really worth banking on, though. What kind of scholarships are you looking at?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937

blurose

Postby blurose » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:26 pm

0pf wrote:I want to stay in Southern California and my dream schools are UCLA or USC. Unfortunately, neither of these two accepted me. I have been accepted into Davis, Loyola, and Pepperdine. I don't think I would mind graduating from any of these 3, I would just like to know from which of these schools I would have a better chance of transferring into UCLA.

I would say Davis, just based on rankings and COA. I'm assuming it would be cheaper for you to attend there. If I were you I would be concerned about getting a job in SoCal with a Davis degree, but I doubt your chances of that would be much better at Loyola or Pepperdine, since graduates from those schools still have to compete with UCLA and USC. And pretty soon, UCI.

0pf

Postby 0pf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:37 am

My scholarship offer from Davis is almost a joke :( - only 5k a year. Tuition is almost 47k at Davis and that's for Residents of CA (which I am) =0 So my COA to attend Davis would actually be much higher than for Pepperdine or Loyola since I would have to relocate and pay for housing. My scholarship at Pepperdine pays for almost half of tuition and the stipulation is good academic standing.

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 am

0pf wrote:My scholarship offer from Davis is almost a joke :( - only 5k a year. Tuition is almost 47k at Davis and that's for Residents of CA (which I am) =0 So my COA to attend Davis would actually be much higher than for Pepperdine or Loyola since I would have to relocate and pay for housing. My scholarship at Pepperdine pays for almost half of tuition and the stipulation is good academic standing.

Have you tried negotiating with Davis?

0pf

Postby 0pf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:39 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:

Not much, unfortunately. Don't go anywhere expecting to transfer. If you aren't happy with the schools you got into (and at sticker, you shouldn't be), retake / reapply / don't go.

Thank you!

0pf

Postby 0pf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 am

They told me since I got in off the waitlist, their funds are pretty much gone/limited...

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 am

0pf wrote:They told me since I got in off the waitlist, their funds are pretty much gone/limited...

That's crap. I've been taken off the waitlist at a bunch of places and negotiated for more aid at each of them. Did you email them with your aid offers at other schools and ask them to reevaluate your aid package? You said you received significant aid at Pepperdine, right? Tell them that.
Last edited by blurose on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:43 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:

Although I just told this mofo to fuck himself in another thread, this is actually TCR.

0pf

Postby 0pf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 am

Maybe I messed up, but I didn't try to negotiate more money with Davis using my Pepperdine offer because it's a lower ranked school. I didn't feel it carried much weight. Plus, with their whole we-have-limited-funds excuse =/

Either way, I guess the whole UC Davis option is over for me. I was supposed to pay my second seat deposit yesterday and I didn't. I just received an email stating they didn't receive my deposit and to please confirm with them what my plans are. I guess my answer will be no to their offer of admission as I ultimately want to work in Los Angeles and I hear alot of: "Davis if you want NorCal, Pepp or LLS if you want SoCal..."

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:05 am

0pf wrote:Maybe I messed up, but I didn't try to negotiate more money with Davis using my Pepperdine offer because it's a lower ranked school. I didn't feel it carried much weight. Plus, with their whole we-have-limited-funds excuse =/

Either way, I guess the whole UC Davis option is over for me. I was supposed to pay my second seat deposit yesterday and I didn't. I just received an email stating they didn't receive my deposit and to please confirm with them what my plans are. I guess my answer will be no to their offer of admission as I ultimately want to work in Los Angeles and I hear alot of: "Davis if you want NorCal, Pepp or LLS if you want SoCal..."

If they emailed you saying they didn't receive your deposit and they want you to confirm that means they still want you to attend. If you refuse their offer it dings them a bit. So yes, I think you can still negotiate, and it doesn't hurt to use Pepperdine. Just do it. Write an email to the dean of admissions, say that you want to attend but finances are a concern, and X School of Law and Y School of Law gave you Z amount of money. Just do it. Go on, do it now. What have you got to lose?
Last edited by blurose on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:10 am

blurose wrote:So yes, I think you can still negotiate, and it doesn't hurt to use Pepperdine. Just do it. Write an email to the dean of admissions, say that you want to attend but finances are a concern, and X School of Law and Y School of Law gave you Z amount of money. Just do it. Go on, do it now. What have you got to lose?

+1

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:29 am

0pf wrote:Maybe I messed up, but I didn't try to negotiate more money with Davis using my Pepperdine offer because it's a lower ranked school. I didn't feel it carried much weight. Plus, with their whole we-have-limited-funds excuse =/

A lot more power has shifted back to the students this cycle because of the huge decrease in applicants. Students who in years prior would not have gotten into schools are now getting in off the waitlist and successfully negotiating for a lot of money. They need your acceptance. You don't need them.

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 am

timbs4339 wrote:

A lot more power has shifted back to the students this cycle because of the huge decrease in applicants. Students who in years prior would not have gotten into schools are now getting in off the waitlist and successfully negotiating for a lot of money. They need your acceptance. You don't need them.

I never thought I'd succumb to using this phrase but TITCR... Sigh. I'm one of them now.

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:09 pm

0pf wrote:They told me since I got in off the waitlist, their funds are pretty much gone/limited...

"Their funds are gone/limited." What a crock of SHIT. Gone to paying their "professors" six figure salaries, while the students are crippled with as much in life ruining debt and no job prospects. "Funds are pretty much gone". They charge students tens of thousands per year and their funds are gone. Is there ANY industry more slimy and dishonest than the Law School Industry?

0pf

Postby 0pf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:52 pm

blurose wrote:

If they emailed you saying they didn't receive your deposit and they want you to confirm that means they still want you to attend. If you refuse their offer it dings them a bit. So yes, I think you can still negotiate, and it doesn't hurt to use Pepperdine. Just do it. Write an email to the dean of admissions, say that you want to attend but finances are a concern, and X School of Law and Y School of Law gave you Z amount of money. Just do it. Go on, do it now. What have you got to lose?

Thank you for the power talk, blurose. I will do just that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”