Taking a full ride(+) scholarship at lower ranked school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rickgrimes69

Re: Taking a full ride(+) scholarship at lower ranked school

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 am

PennBull wrote:
CreativityKing wrote:I took lower T14 full ride over HYS at sticker. Couldn't be happier about the decision.

These are the decisions I'm always curious about.

Given the same options, I'd strongly consider doing the same.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
PennBull wrote:
CreativityKing wrote:I took lower T14 full ride over HYS at sticker. Couldn't be happier about the decision.

These are the decisions I'm always curious about.

Given the same options, I'd strongly consider doing the same.

Yeah I'm not suggesting it's bad/wrong/whatever, but I've always considered YSH as some heavenly mecca called "Guaranteed Job Land" and I'm not sure I could pass it up. I mean, below median at PMVB (the schools I'm assuming would offer full schollies; perhaps CCN as well) is still kinda scary, even if you only have 60K in COL expenses.

I just wonder what other things go into the decision, because it can't be the same thing as someone who chooses a T14 at sticker over a regional Tier 1 for free.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 am

Add one more person to the "took a full ride at a lower ranked school" list. Regional school in the region I've been working in (and have a network in) and plan on staying in plus lower than average living costs because my partner and I share living expenses. I'm PI/Gov't oriented, so wasn't willing to take the debt risk at a higher ranked school even with the federal loan forgiveness program after 10 yrs for PI people.

Yossarian79

Postby Yossarian79 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 pm

sd, I've seen a few of your posts now and you strike me as being in a very similar situation to the one that I'll (hopefully) be facing -- including some of the same schools. I'm also exclusively PI-focused, and with any luck will be in a position to choose between some top 20 or even lower T14 schools at sticker--but with great LRAPs--and lower-ranked Tier 1 schools with a bunch of scholarship money. Were you just afraid IBR as we now know it would simply go away (not an unreasonable concern), or did you have other reasons for making the choice you did?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Two major reasons:

1a) Yes, I'm actually concerned about the fate of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program and I didn't want to put all my hopes on that if I didn't have to. If it stays in place for the next 10 years after I graduate, that's fantastic and I will love life. If not, then I won't be stuck with a giant six-figure loan that's accrued a ginormous amount of interest while making $50-$60K starting out.

1b) As for LRAP's I was running into issues with my PI focus being more city and (eventually) federal government oriented, and wouldn't have qualified for many LRAP's. Even with a great LRAP program, the interest on loans would build and build and build under IBR, and I didn't want to be leashed to loan payments for 25 years.

2) My WE and network of contacts are regional and I wanted to stay in the region in order to maintain the contacts and reputation that will hopefully give me a big boost during hiring. That limited my choices of where to apply pretty extensively (I applied to maybe three schools outside of New York but quickly scratched them off the list even after I was accepted). I knew I had a little more flexibility in school choice, but I couldn't end up at a TTTT either. My supervisor forwarded me an email she sent from one of the hiring staff at the office I'd like to work at starting out, and the message was simply "yes, school choice matters somewhat (e.g. don't go to a place like Hofstra), but it matters more how she did at the school she goes to than the school choice itself." I took that to heart, decided to minimize my risk with the full scholly offer, and now I'm focusing on two things before the start of the semester: a) slowly working through Getting to Maybe, which is pretty much universally recommended, and b) enjoying my summer and finishing everything up at work in order to leave on an excellent note that my employers will remember when I come back to them for some assistance in getting my resume to the top of peoples' piles.

Some minor issues I looked at were:

- # of recent Skadden and EJW fellows over the past few years (both pre- and post-hiring crashes), since that is something I'm interested in trying for
- % of PI grads in nonprofit vs gov't work
- existence of a "Public Interest Scholars" program or the equivalent
- funding options for summer internship as 95% of those will be unpaid (the interns we hire have to secure funding from their school)

Yossarian79

Postby Yossarian79 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks -- none of that really surprises me too much, but it's helpful to see just the same. Good luck!

jeffyl00b

Postby jeffyl00b » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:41 pm

ze2151 wrote:scotusnerd, just listen to rad rulz for your own sake.

but since i love saying i told you so, save this thread and come back to it in three years.

insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com.

Anyone who says you have a 100% chance of getting a job because you had a generic job shows their age and life experience. Have you seen the nations numbers or checked out those employment agencies? No?

SD5289: I agree with the public service loan forgiveness fears. But I think you're typically grandfathered into that sort of thing.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 pm

jeffyl00b wrote:

but since i love saying i told you so, save this thread and come back to it in three years.

Anyone who says you have a 100% chance of getting a job because you had a generic job shows their age and life experience. Have you seen the nations numbers or checked out those employment agencies? No?

SD5289: I agree with the public service loan forgiveness fears. But I think you're typically grandfathered into that sort of thing.

Good job mischaracterizing my point, you illiterate.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:11 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047

there has been a relevant discussion of this topic in the old school thread (for law students over 30) which is worth looking at...

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 pm

I took an LSAT that would have gotten me into Top 25 schools, although probably not the bottom of the t14, and accepted a full ride at a very local TTT. Did well enough 1L year to probably have a shot at a t14 transfer, but - again - just couldn't take on six figures of debt.

Had a good recruiting season and ended up with multiple offers from firms that didn't recruit at my school, all paying six figures, although not V100 types. Spent the summer with a top 10 firm in a Detroit, loved the people and the work, and was fortunate enough to get an offer.

I'm two years in and have under $10k in debt. Few of my classmates are in a similar position (although one is just starting a Sixth Circuit clerkship), but everybody who wants a legal job appears to have one. Most here, of course, would term those jobs s***law, but that's another story ...

That said, my path is the exception. The T14 is a much safer play. Top 30-35 is a marginally safer play.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Thanks for the link. Since you love saying 'i told you so', I will save this thread and come back in three years. We'll compare how we all did job-wise.

Update please

(it's been 3 years, but am I a bit early?)

Ravenclaw23

Postby Ravenclaw23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:49 am

I took a full-ride at at T25 instead of sticker at GULC & NU. After 1L, I considered transferring but decided against it for monetary reasons. Ultimately, taking (& keeping) the full-ride was the best decision I ever made. I did well in school, took several networking trips in the market I wanted to be in, and ended up getting an offer at my dream firm in a coastal market - a firm I wasn't sure I would ever be able to get without a T14 name.

Honestly, if you get good money to a well-respected school (particularly in the state you want to practice), I say, without question, TAKE THE MONEY & RUN. You're in law school to become a lawyer -- pick the school that is well-regarded & will let you graduate with the least amount of debt and then spend 3 years networking like crazy & chances are you'll do okay. (&, even if you don't, you won't be jobless AND drowning in debt)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am

Iowa ? If so, had did your classmates fare regarding jobs ?

Troianii

Postby Troianii » Thu May 12, 2016 12:54 pm

I chose a full ride but... I didn't have as good a cycle as I perhaps wanted. The top schools I got into barely cracked the top 25. I got a full ride scholarship at a 2nd tier school that was in the general area that I wanted to practice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”