UNC at Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Thoughts on UNC at sticker

Attend UNC for 35k/yr (no scolly)
63%
Retake LSAT and throw acceptance away
26%
Beg for scholly and only attend if COA is sub 28
11%

Total votes: 27

JD Janitor

UNC at Sticker

Postby JD Janitor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:48 am

quick rundown:

-accepted to UNC
-in state
-currently working for a large firm (NLJ250) with the stated possibility of returning after 1L summer and maybe post grad
-below both medians for lsat and gpa
-no scholarship awarded as of yet
COA=19k+COL≈35k/yr

best school accepted to this round. not allowed to take lsat again till december (long story)

I am very very....VERY excited about UNC....However, this site has guided me in the right direction time and time again. I have used your knowledge to increase scholarships significantly at other schools and I attribute a part of my acceptance at UNC to you as I followed the recommendations for post application procedures. Therefore I would also like to hear your opinions regarding the best situation I have been left with and gauge whether the majority of you think its worth attending. Thank you guys (girls too).
Last edited by JD Janitor on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: UNC at Sticker

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:51 am

Since you're below both medians at UNC & have taken the LSAT three times, and since UNC is a solid regional law school offering bargain in-state tuition rate, UNC is a great choice based on the limited information in your post.

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Since you're below both medians at UNC & have taken the LSAT three times, and since UNC is a solid regional law school offering bargain in-state tuition rate, UNC is a great choice based on the limited information in your post.

I have come to this same conclusion (although I have actually only taken the LSAT 2 times one of which I actually studied for...one of which I cancelled pre-test but they counted as a take). I feel as if I have the potential to score in the 170s and if I had not been accepted to UNC (dream school that was reasonable given my scores) I was considering sitting out another year and retaking. Setting aside the fact that I am super excited about UNC, 100k+ is still a lot of money. Just want to make sure this community agrees with me that in this scenario its justified.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:02 am

Having lived in Chapel Hill, you can do better than 16k/yr COL.

That said, do you want to practice in NC? This is still a lot of money for school, even if cheaper and more sensical than other choices. It is really easy to get lost in the big numbers others will be paying. You may be relatively better off but that doesn't make you well off.

Try for money in a few weeks when the school is more fearful of losing your body next year.

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Having lived in Chapel Hill, you can do better than 16k/yr COL.

That said, do you want to practice in NC? This is still a lot of money for school, even if cheaper and more sensical than other choices. It is really easy to get lost in the big numbers others will be paying. You may be relatively better off but that doesn't make you well off.

Try for money in a few weeks when the school is more fearful of losing your body next year.

I agree that I can do better than 16k/yr COL I was trying to be conservative. I would be more than happy to practice in NC as I am a native and love both the coast and the mountains offered here. Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely be pushing for some scholarship dollars in a few weeks when the school is more pressed for time/students to fill seats.

BTW, thank you for the extensive data you keep bringing us. Everything is helpful.
Last edited by JD Janitor on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:12 am

UNC @ in-state, with what appear to be excellent local ties, means that 105K in total debt over three years (less, if you get real frugal in CH) is certainly a reasonable option.

I would ask about scholarships and/or aid, but probably go either way. You may get a small 5-10K scholly, but it's still a pretty good deal as it stands.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 am

$100,000+ in debt is not a reasonable option for UNC. Retake + reapply.

wightjm

Postby wightjm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:38 am

Im on the waitlist at UNC. I will pay Full sticker if i get in. TBH, I would pay a year of your school plus mine if Dean States would let me in.

This is the god judgement I can offer the Legal Profession....

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Since you're below both medians at UNC & have taken the LSAT three times, and since UNC is a solid regional law school offering bargain in-state tuition rate, UNC is a great choice based on the limited information in your post.

I agree with CW.

Attend.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Lol @ "stated possibility of returning." You know that doesn't mean jack shit, right?

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:Lol @ "stated possibility of returning." You know that doesn't mean jack shit, right?

A friend of mine who left the firm last year to attend was told what I have been told. He is now working at the firm this summer. From my experience, they follow through with what they say.

I have appreciated everyone's help on this site but am now convinced that radlulz is more or less a troll from most of what I have seen. You claim that the statement "doesn't mean shit" but have very little information for which to make that claim. You generalize consistently but never account for specific situations. In my experience with this firm, the statement does mean a lot. As for my friend, it means he has a job at an NLJ250.

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 pm

I understand the value you place on the TLS community, as I value their advice too. But I have to ask, since you have the advantage of actually working at a firm and presumably have contact with lawyers, have you asked them what they think? I realize that TCR is not to ask advice of attorneys who have been out of law school for some time, but perhaps there's a younger associate who might be able to give you two cents?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 pm

JD Janitor wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Lol @ "stated possibility of returning." You know that doesn't mean jack shit, right?

A friend of mine who left the firm last year to attend was told what I have been told. He is now working at the firm this summer. From my experience, they follow through with what they say.

I have appreciated everyone's help on this site but am now convinced that radlulz is more or less a troll from most of what I have seen. You claim that the statement "doesn't mean shit" but have very little information for which to make that claim. You generalize consistently but never account for specific situations. In my experience with this firm, the statement does mean a lot. As for my friend, it means he has a job at an NLJ250.

A bunch of my friends got the same offer. None of them returned without the grades that would have made them competitive at the firm in the first place. It's a useful "in," not a safety net.

Like would you really expect them to say "under no circumstances are you welcome back."

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:44 pm

UltraNonTraditional wrote:I understand the value you place on the TLS community, as I value their advice too. But I have to ask, since you have the advantage of actually working at a firm and presumably have contact with lawyers, have you asked them what they think? I realize that TCR is not to ask advice of attorneys who have been out of law school for some time, but perhaps there's a younger associate who might be able to give you two cents?

Yes you are right...the majority of the lawyers are much older and many of them are UNC grads themselves. Obviously they are telling me to go for it and never look back. There are a handful of other lawyers that are much younger and did not graduate UNC which have given more sound advice. The general theme of their advice is to go if I know what being a lawyer entails and I am willing to work my ass off. They emphasize that being a lawyer is far from a guarantee to being rich. These same lawyers have encouraged me to avoid some of the other schools I had been considering despite the scholarship awarded to me. The consensus seems to be that UNC is a great school that will allow me to enter the "good ole boy" network here in NC. And I am just fine with that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”