Re: UC Hastings or Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Hastings or Fordham Law

UC Hastings
31%
Fordham Law
69%

Total votes: 26

Bronck

Gold

Re: UC Hastings or Fordham

Post by Bronck » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:59 pm

I've been accepted and deposited at UC Hastings. Fordham recently took me offered me admissions off their waitlist which I didn't fill, and offered me a tiny amount of scholarship money after stating they didn't have any.

I really don't want to graduate from either of these schools. I want to transfer out to UC Berkeley or GULC. I've already started prepping for law school and will transfer out.

Factors:
1. My boyfriend is in SF (I don't want to spend my 1L trying to make a long distance thing work/be miserable coz we had to break up)
2. I am an international student (undergrad in NY), and have some life experiences if that even matters to law Schools.
3. I am taking a loan from my mother for Law School, so money isn't a real consideration.
4. I want to eventually end up back in New York but I am not opposed to working in the (what people are calling shitty) SF market right now

Questions:
1. Is Berkeley partial to Hastings 1L's for transfers?
2. Are Fordham's employment stats really as good as TLS states?
3. How crucial are these law school rankings while transferring? (Fordham is 29, Hastings is 44)
You shouldn't go into law school expecting to transfer out.... What is your GPA/LSAT? Have you used up all 3 retakes? If not, then retake. It's a lot easier to retake and do well than to perform extremely well in law school. Following from that, you should not go to either school, since you stated that you "really don't want to graduate from either".

If for some reason you absolutely have to attend (I've never understood this line of reasoning...) then pick Fordham because you want to work in NY. Presumably you won't have to pay interest to your mom (or if you do, it's going to be lower than the gov), but that doesn't mean that "money isn't a real consideration." I'm sure she expects the money back eventually, and going into a lot of debt for either of these schools is a bad idea.

Also, why UCB or GULC...? that seems like a random picking of two T14s considering you want NY...

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Fordham recently took me offered me admissions off their waitlist which I didn't fill,

What does that mean?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm

I really don't want to graduate from either of these schools. I want to transfer out to UC Berkeley or GULC. I've already started prepping for law school and will transfer out.
Understandable, but you should know that it's going to be extremely difficult to finish top 5-10% or whatever you need to transfer up. Since there is 95% chance it won't happen, you need to pick the stronger school, and there's no question that Fordham is a better school in a better job market.

I just graduated top 15% from Hastings...me and people like me do not have very good job prospects. Calif. is a brutal job market, people from T14 schools are often willing to come back here and make 60k. You attend Hastings and finish outside the top 10% and you've probably lost everything. Attend Fordham and finish top 25%, and you probably still have a shot at something.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Fordham - but never go anywhere expecting to transfer. If you don't want to graduate from one of these schools, don't go to either.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:33 pm

3. I am taking a loan from my mother for Law School, so money isn't a real consideration.
If you would be inheriting the money otherwise, then you still need to consider it as a regular loan.

If you don't want to attend either school, don't go to them. If you end up with the right GPA to transfer, then you probably wouldn't need to transfer anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 pm

OP if your mother is so rich, take the 250k and start your own business. If you are a liberal artist, go get a STEM degree (about 1/10th the price of law school) or IT certifications (1/10000th the price of law school).

Fordham and Hastings are lunatic bets, with costs approaching the 1/4 of a million (Class of 2016: $275,631). They are both only worth considering if you get a full ride.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:19 am

LOL

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 am

Nova wrote:
LOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOL... the arrogance and asshattery of law students and prospectives never ceases to amaze me.

Also, even if your mom is giving you a no-interest loan, that's still six-figures for law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”