Should I switch to WashU over SMU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nova

Re: Should I switch to WashU over SMU?

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 pm

kalvano wrote:It's kind of a hard choice for the OP. SMU has a much, much bigger market that it serves, and therefore more opportunities. But WUSTL is a better school, just with a smaller market.

At WUSTL, where do yall think OP would have to rank to be in the running for decent private sector job in Dallas?

Im in a similar situation (raised in Dallas, attending UMN in the Fall).

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Nova wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's kind of a hard choice for the OP. SMU has a much, much bigger market that it serves, and therefore more opportunities. But WUSTL is a better school, just with a smaller market.

At WUSTL, where do yall think OP would have to rank to be in the running for decent private sector job in Dallas?

by decent do you mean biglaw, or just mid-law comfortable salary?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Nova wrote:

by decent do you mean biglaw, or just mid-law comfortable salary?

Estimates on both would be great.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:23 pm

I think it would need to be fairly comparable to SMU, just because WUSTL / UMN isn't really a big deal here. It's not like trying to come from a T14. If the place wants top 25% at SMU, you'd probably need to be top 33% at WUSTL / UMN.

Several T14's now have Texas placement programs, so the competition is getting worse.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Sounds reasonable.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:02 pm

kalvano wrote:I think it would need to be fairly comparable to SMU, just because WUSTL / UMN isn't really a big deal here. It's not like trying to come from a T14. If the place wants top 25% at SMU, you'd probably need to be top 33% at WUSTL / UMN.

Several T14's now have Texas placement programs, so the competition is getting worse.

See, I would tend to think that if the place wants top 25%at SMU, you'd need to be top 25% or slightly better (or with bumper extra-curriculars like LR or moot court) to get over the hurdle of going to a non-Texas school. Let's face it, Texas, and Dallas specifically, can be a little insular. But kalvano might know better than I do.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:08 pm

OP, what are your stats?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Nova wrote:

You would be better off going to Tech than UMN for work in Texas. USNWR fail.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:23 pm

swilson215 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I think it would need to be fairly comparable to SMU, just because WUSTL / UMN isn't really a big deal here. It's not like trying to come from a T14. If the place wants top 25% at SMU, you'd probably need to be top 33% at WUSTL / UMN.

See, I would tend to think that if the place wants top 25%at SMU, you'd need to be top 25% or slightly better (or with bumper extra-curriculars like LR or moot court) to get over the hurdle of going to a non-Texas school. Let's face it, Texas, and Dallas specifically, can be a little insular. But kalvano might know better than I do.
Nah, I don't think that's necessarily true, and if you've got ties then needing to get over a "hurdle" definitely isn't true. Something people don't realize as well is that firms sometimes look for people from schools they don't necessarily draw heavily from in the name of diversity (not in the racial or sexual orientation sense). I don't know all of the reasons for doing so, but having at least one lawyer who can bs with a client is a lot easier when your firm isn't made up solely of UT grads. One big firm in Dallas told me they specifically look for a person from wustl each year. Now whether they get one depends on if they find someone who fits criteria and accepts their offer, but they are at least looking. Can't underestimate the benefit of trying to go somewhere where most of your class isn't looking either.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30 pm

stratocophic wrote:Nah, I don't think that's necessarily true, and if you've got ties then needing to get over a "hurdle" definitely isn't true. Something people don't realize as well is that firms sometimes look for people from schools they don't necessarily draw heavily from in the name of diversity (not in the racial or sexual orientation sense). I don't know all of the reasons for doing so, but having at least one lawyer who can bs with a client is a lot easier when your firm isn't made up solely of UT grads. One big firm in Dallas told me they specifically look for a person from wustl each year. Now whether they get one depends on if they find someone who fits criteria and accepts their offer, but they are at least looking. Can't underestimate the benefit of trying to go somewhere where most of your class isn't looking either.

Good to know.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:23 pm

swilson215 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Nah, I don't think that's necessarily true, and if you've got ties then needing to get over a "hurdle" definitely isn't true. Something people don't realize as well is that firms sometimes look for people from schools they don't necessarily draw heavily from in the name of diversity (not in the racial or sexual orientation sense). I don't know all of the reasons for doing so, but having at least one lawyer who can bs with a client is a lot easier when your firm isn't made up solely of UT grads. One big firm in Dallas told me they specifically look for a person from wustl each year. Now whether they get one depends on if they find someone who fits criteria and accepts their offer, but they are at least looking. Can't underestimate the benefit of trying to go somewhere where most of your class isn't looking either.

Good to know.
Just my experience. Don't take it as gospel, other than the fact that the firm telling me that in person did happen. Could have been blowing smoke because they knew that I have positive feelings towards the school and they just wanted me badly (for my more desirable latent characteristics, not for my preftige obviously), who knows. They did have alums though, so seemed legit.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:32 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Nova wrote:

You would be better off going to Tech than UMN for work in Texas. USNWR fail.

Assumption fail. My entire family lives near the Twin Cities. I am very familiar with Minneapolis, and would be 100% fine living there long term. Im hoping to keep my options open, that is all.

swilson215 wrote:See, I would tend to think that if the place wants top 25%at SMU, you'd need to be top 25% or slightly better (or with bumper extra-curriculars like LR or moot court) to get over the hurdle of going to a non-Texas school. Let's face it, Texas, and Dallas specifically, can be a little insular. But kalvano might know better than I do.

Its assuring to hear a comparable rank, to what a firm requires of an SMU student, will probably suffice.

I like the optimism 8)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”